Join for free
Page 233 of 274 « First < 133 183 223 231 232 233 234 235 243 > Last »
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2018, 08:55 AM

Re: Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Favourite Albums

C'mon Floydy with only 39 albums to go there is no point in giving up now.

You can do it and you know you want too so let us enjoy this last push
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2018, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
C'mon Floydy with only 39 albums to go there is no point in giving up now.

You can do it and you know you want too so let us enjoy this last push
I didn't say I was giving up on it, Solo. I have every intention of completing this thread. I'll be taking a break from the forum during the summer in order to do other things in my life which have been put on hold for five months. It's not good to spend all our waking hours on the bloody internet and I'll be switching off.

It's down to me I know, all this angst but you must understand it takes so much work to continue all this. That's why I'm back to simplifying things and we'll get this sodding thing over with.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2018, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by floydy ->
i didn't say i was giving up on it, solo. I have every intention of completing this thread. I'll be taking a break from the forum during the summer in order to do other things in my life which have been put on hold for five months. It's not good to spend all our waking hours on the bloody internet and i'll be switching off.

It's down to me i know, all this angst but you must understand it takes so much work to continue all this. That's why i'm back to simplifying things and we'll get this sodding thing over with.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2018, 10:03 AM

No.39: “The End Of The Innocence” by Don Henley (1989)
The best solo album by an Eagle in my opinion, The End of the Innocence shines in all the right areas – intelligent songwriting, classy musicianship (keyboards courtesy Bruce Hornsby), the wonderfully smoky voice of Henley himself. Many tracks stand out, not least the reflective title song and the achingly poignant ‘The Heart Of The Matter’ but the highlight which is ‘New York Minute’ is one of the most descriptive storyteller songs ever written. Videos of these songs below, except ‘New York Minute’ which has been completely silenced on the internet for some reason.

Sleeve image, other images:

Videos:

New York Minute, lyrics and film only:
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

13-05-2018, 10:13 AM

No.38: “Animals” by Pink Floyd (1977)
One of the albums from which are regarded as Pink Floyd’s “Big 5” of the 1970’s, Animals appeared slap bang in the middle of the punk movement which was what that whole genre were against, progressive rock. But although it’s prog, this Floyd album is their most guitar-heavy “rock” album of their career. Just four songs (the intro and outro ‘Pigs On The Wing’ split into two parts), it’s definitely an album of the times with Roger Waters’ songwriting dealing with politics all the way through in the guise of farmyard animals taking the part of politicians. Tracks such as ‘Sheep’ and ‘Dogs’ are wonderfully played and the famous sleeve with its untethered flying pig causing a stir in London is folklore.

Videos:

longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2018, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I didn't say I was giving up on it, Solo. I have every intention of completing this thread. I'll be taking a break from the forum during the summer in order to do other things in my life which have been put on hold for five months. It's not good to spend all our waking hours on the bloody internet and I'll be switching off.

It's down to me I know, all this angst but you must understand it takes so much work to continue all this. That's why I'm back to simplifying things and we'll get this sodding thing over with.
Hey Marathon Man you are doing good and yes it takes a lot of commitment I know. I have various threads on other forums that have to attend to every few days otherwise the natives on those forums start grumbling.
My only thoughts on this massive thread of yours is will it really ever end.
Personally I don't think so myself you are going to be around for a long time to come renewing interest,other wise the regulars may revolt mate..
Still enjoying your tunes love The Eagles by the way no matter what album you post of theirs they are all great.
Enjoy your break by the way, thats when summer does eventually arrive..
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

13-05-2018, 10:29 AM

No.37: “Station To Station” by David Bowie (1976)
This was made between the some say unwise white soul of Young Americans and the oncoming “Berlin Trilogy” of releases. Station To Station saw Bowie at his most drug-addled, ‘Thin White Duke’ era, his film ‘The man Who Fell To Earth’ enjoying a stint at the flicks.
I love this album for its experimentation. A bit of the soul stuff still in existence (the hit ‘Golden Years’), the quite wonderful adaptation of the Jacques Brel song ‘Wild Is The Wind’ and the 10-minute title track with its return to glam rock overtones almost. A very interesting, if uncommercial album.

Videos:

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

13-05-2018, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Hey Marathon Man you are doing good and yes it takes a lot of commitment I know. I have various threads on other forums that have to attend to every few days otherwise the natives on those forums start grumbling.
My only thoughts on this massive thread of yours is will it really ever end.
Personally I don't think so myself you are going to be around for a long time to come renewing interest,other wise the regulars may revolt mate..
Still enjoying your tunes love The Eagles by the way no matter what album you post of theirs they are all great.
Enjoy your break by the way, thats when summer does eventually arrive..
Hi Longfellow, No mate, it's not you that I'm grumbling about - I know you are looking in
The thread will of course, er, end. We're on 'The Final Countdown' now with only a handful to go. I've had to condense the posts and make them survive with the minimum details again as it was driving me mad finding all that information and not getting through this adequately. I did enjoy doing it though for a while and perhaps for the final Top 20 I'll revert back to that in some way, but it took so much time and working nights my own free time was non-existent. I haven't read a book in ages for instance and I'll be spending the outdoor summer months (if we get any) doing just that and switching off the net apart from maybe looking in at work during the night when I'm bored of the tedium.
Thanks for posting again though mate, it's appreciated
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

13-05-2018, 10:45 AM

No.36: “The Pleasure Principle” by Gary Numan (1979)
The final one from Gary Numan/Tubeway Army (the thread’s regulars breathe a sigh of relief!) and it’s the first album of Numan’s I bought (or got given to me for my 15th birthday anyway).
The Pleasure Principle came at a time when Numan had his single ‘Cars’ at No.1, ‘Are Friends Electric?’ just having spent four weeks at the top spot in April.
Ten short, concise songs of electronic awe. Yes, very Bowie/Kraftwerk-influenced but with his own trademark attached, this album is superb in my view. Good to see Numan performing much of it live last year too.

Sleeve image:

Videos:

And from a 2017 Leeds live show:
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

13-05-2018, 10:56 AM

No.35: “Closer” by Joy Division (1980)
I’ve spoken much about Joy Division when I mentioned the album Still in my list earlier, but Closer was the band’s second and final studio record released too late for Ian Curtis to see it chart very highly indeed. They were on the verge of being huge. In a way though, this all adds to Joy Division’s mystique, their enigmatic career. The album itself didn’t contain singles (‘Love Will Tear Us Apart’ being a hit separately), but I’m showing the videos of some of the highlights, plus the unnerving, tremendous song which was ‘Atmosphere’, a song which is in my Top three singles of all-time (and, no there won’t be a list of those!)

Videos:

Page 233 of 274 « First < 133 183 223 231 232 233 234 235 243 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top