Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 12:02 AM

Stress today

Its a word today that we hear constantly - of all ages
young and old.

Do you or someone you know feel stressed?

I do feel stressed more than years ago.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 01:37 AM

Re: Stress today

I used to feel more stressed in the '80s and '90s. It's a different stress these days though. It's information overload.

I was watching a webinair on blockchain today. Which basically confirmed that technology is taking over our lives in an irreversible way. We won't need to use our brains at all soon and not having to use your brain in my view causes stress. Because what is the purpose of existence if you have no purpose and the ability to solve simple challenges is taken away from you?

So I think this is making people restless and agitated, combined with all the radio/wifi/electronic signals that are going through, under/over, inside us. Go somewhere that has no wifi (if you can find it) and you will feel immediately more relaxed.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 02:37 AM

Stress is why I left BT. The pressure put upon engineers was unbearable. it was that bad for me I was physically sick on the way home every night and suffered from terrible megraine. Got home and straight to bed nothing to eat or very little it was that bad to get up the next morning for the same thing to happen the next day

Just as one example

When I joined post office telephones as it used to be called , to provide say an extn phone in an office or home you were allowed 3.5 hrs to do the job when you reached the site.

When I left BT the same job the time was cut down to 1.5 hours including the time it took to get to the site. it could take most of that time just to get to site let alone find out from the customer what they wanted done, that is if you could find the right person in the company. Then you had to discover the building telephone wiring network. Time up and you hadn't even started.

Absolutely impossible, so to get through the days work I gave up lunch breaks and often worked after I should have been on my way home, just to get the days work done. This could be anything up to 1.5 hrs longer each day not paid ,the pressure was that great.

Average day start 8.00am finish 6.30pm ish without a break should have finished at 5pm

Luckily I had a key to the yard get as most evenings everyone had gone apart from a few. So I could park up the van and get my own car out

All down to ignorant inspectors straight out of UNI and din't have a clue about the job. Even a level 4 manager didn't know telephone engineers tools from gas fitters tools, but that is another story

Stress do I know about stress and what it can do? been there and suffered badly

It took me at least 6 months to get back to what one would call normal and that was even with running our own business and getting that sorted out

Needless to say Sue was only too pleased I got out of working for BT she could see the physical and mental state I was getting in.

This is why I just cannot understand why anyone would want to work for someone else to put money in their pocket and not their own.

Far far better to be self employed, set your own working hours- do the work you want to do- not keep looking over the shoulder and being watched or timed. The big bonus is what you earn is all yours. That is the only time I started making money to put aside for retirement.

You can't put stress upon yourself as your mind and body won't allow it work wise.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 06:40 AM

Hi

Very few things stress me.

One that used to was inane courses at work, a complete waste of time and money.

I loathed them, they were compulsory.

Cue my warped sense of humour.

We had to sit round a table and stand up one by one and say we suffered from stress and then say how that stress was caused.

It was pathetic.

My turn, stood up and said

I do not suffer from stress, I am a carrier.

That stressed the person running the course.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 10:16 AM

swimfeeders
I am not surprised at you having to do that course. The reason is most senior managers are morons and never worked on the ground floor to see what is actually going on. Years ago one started as a tea boy/girl and slowly got promoted to management level.
Now all they can think of is "Well they have a degree so know everything"
Whereas they are as thick as s**t in the workplace. There was a TV program some time ago called "Under Cover Boss" which clearly demonstrated this
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Stress is why I left BT. The pressure put upon engineers was unbearable. it was that bad for me I was physically sick on the way home every night and suffered from terrible megraine. Got home and straight to bed nothing to eat or very little it was that bad to get up the next morning for the same thing to happen the next day

Just as one example

When I joined post office telephones as it used to be called , to provide say an extn phone in an office or home you were allowed 3.5 hrs to do the job when you reached the site.

When I left BT the same job the time was cut down to 1.5 hours including the time it took to get to the site. it could take most of that time just to get to site let alone find out from the customer what they wanted done, that is if you could find the right person in the company. Then you had to discover the building telephone wiring network. Time up and you hadn't even started.

Absolutely impossible, so to get through the days work I gave up lunch breaks and often worked after I should have been on my way home, just to get the days work done. This could be anything up to 1.5 hrs longer each day not paid ,the pressure was that great.

Average day start 8.00am finish 6.30pm ish without a break should have finished at 5pm

Luckily I had a key to the yard get as most evenings everyone had gone apart from a few. So I could park up the van and get my own car out

All down to ignorant inspectors straight out of UNI and din't have a clue about the job. Even a level 4 manager didn't know telephone engineers tools from gas fitters tools, but that is another story

Stress do I know about stress and what it can do? been there and suffered badly

It took me at least 6 months to get back to what one would call normal and that was even with running our own business and getting that sorted out

Needless to say Sue was only too pleased I got out of working for BT she could see the physical and mental state I was getting in.

This is why I just cannot understand why anyone would want to work for someone else to put money in their pocket and not their own.

Far far better to be self employed, set your own working hours- do the work you want to do- not keep looking over the shoulder and being watched or timed. The big bonus is what you earn is all yours. That is the only time I started making money to put aside for retirement.

You can't put stress upon yourself as your mind and body won't allow it work wise.
I agree entirely.
When I was self employed it was the happiest time of my life.
No stupid boss telling me to do things his way even thought I could do it better. No manager telling me to lie to customers.
I worked hard, did my books and VAT returns, chased payments but ran my life my way not the way my employers wanted me to do.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 10:33 AM

Thankfully my days of stress are behind me. The worst stress I ever endured was when my marriage broke up. I was left with a twelve years old son, a home to sell, two dogs, no job and no income. Deal with the court and custody issues and it took me two years to sell the house which eventually went for less than we paid for it. My son had to stay with his grandparents sixty miles away (I had no transport) so he was put on the train every Sunday, to be met by me on the Friday. No Council would accept me on their list because due to having been a Service family, we had no real home base. I got no maintenance or child support, so had to receive Benefit until I found two jobs, one morning, one afternoon.

Looking back, I just dont know how I survived, but I did.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 11:34 AM

Some stress in life is a good thing, too much and bang, health suffers

I had a breakdown at 35

I've distressed my life as much as possible. Right now I work for a lovely family business. Work is hard and you are paid to work, not stand and chat, but it's a friendly place where you are valued and looked after

I'm decluttering my home slowly and surely.

I've turned my back on consumerism as much as possible. I no longer feel I'm not successful because I'm not wearing the latest fashions , have the latest gadgets, have the best car in the car park etc

We live quietly and simply. We are much more family oriented then we were in the past when work was the be all and end all, working all hours to pay for a lifestyle we had no time to enjoy

Now we enjoy our home and garden and surroundings. My biggest stress is what to cook for dinner
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 11:44 AM

Changes at my husbands work place are causing him a lot of stress at the moment. New manager who has never filled a vending machine in her life. She is causing chaos to the point all the vending operators are working to rule.

It's not good for him his ocd is sky high, he's not sleeping and his mood isn't great.

Stress affects people in different ways some thrive on it he doesn't.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

24-01-2018, 11:49 AM

Julie
Exactly a nobody bought in who knows nothing so throws her weight about. Why don't these morons employ people who have done the job and know the problems. If you have an "ology" to your name means nothing

My late father employed around 35 people in his factory. If a job became vacant he would always take on those with "hands on" experience against those with a load of degrees to their name.

His biggest regret was when the LCC (London County Council) as it was back then, compulsory purchased the factory and he had to dismiss all the workers. The LCC wanted to place for road widening, which actually was never done

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top