Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2017, 09:57 PM

Growing from Seed

Do many do this, or do most prefer to buy ready 'plugs'?

I have just sown some Penstemons in a pot on my windowsill today, plus just a few carrots in a pot too, but it is still too early for much else yet.
I love sowing seed, nuturing it and watching it grow. Do you?

TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2017, 10:04 PM

Re: Growing from Seed

Plugs are ok if you get them from the garden centres Mups, I tend to pick the biggest ones. I've not had much luck with mail order ones, they've arrived battered or so soggy they've started to rot off.
I buy pelargoniums and some of the tougher basket types as plugs, but most of my plants are from seed.
My greenhouse looks dreadful at the moment, glass is green with mossy stuff, so are some of the trays I left in from the autumn, violas etc. but still alive!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2017, 10:06 PM

I don't do very well with seeds not having a greenhouse, I usually buy plugs or little plants except for runner beans and those seeds arrived today
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2017, 10:09 PM

Oooooo! Spring is nearly here! All the seeds will be popping up soon and I'll be trying to save every single little one of them!
I'm no good at thinning them out, I can't bring myself to throw any away!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2017, 10:31 PM

I tend to buy grafted tomatoes, cucumber and sweet peppers on line, everything else is grown from seed.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2017, 10:35 PM

I've never bought grafted plants Rehab, do you think they are more likely to grow into stronger plants?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-02-2017, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Plugs are ok if you get them from the garden centres Mups, I tend to pick the biggest ones. I've not had much luck with mail order ones, they've arrived battered or so soggy they've started to rot off.
I buy pelargoniums and some of the tougher basket types as plugs, but most of my plants are from seed.
My greenhouse looks dreadful at the moment, glass is green with mossy stuff, so are some of the trays I left in from the autumn, violas etc. but still alive!

I've had both good and bad from online plugs Tess. If I have some dodgy ones, they have always replaced them or given me a voucher if I ring up though. I agree it is really better to see them first, and choose your own if poss.

You'll have to get cracking on that greenhouse soon, Tess, but this awful weather doesn't exactly spur us on, does it.
Are you feeling any better now?
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2017, 10:53 PM

I'm useless with seeds although I do sow some every year but not many survive to become plants but I'll have another go soon.
Ever the optimist!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2017, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I've never bought grafted plants Rehab, do you think they are more likely to grow into stronger plants?
I have been buying them for years Mups and they have never let me down, the plants are more productive and produce larger crops, there are worth the extra few pennies.
I normally buy them in threes, I.e 3x toms 3 x mini cucumbers etc which produce enough for the season, I do cherry toms for the grandkids from seed...millions of the buggers.
If you have a greenhouse heated or not give them a whirl.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-02-2017, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I have been buying them for years Mups and they have never let me down, the plants are more productive and produce larger crops, there are worth the extra few pennies.
I normally buy them in threes, I.e 3x toms 3 x mini cucumbers etc which produce enough for the season, I do cherry toms for the grandkids from seed...millions of the buggers.
If you have a greenhouse heated or not give them a whirl.

I haven't got a grrenhouse, I've always wanted one but don't suppose I'll get one now I have to make do with 3 of those little polythene zip up grow houses, one specially for tomatoes.
There's only me don't forget, so 3 plants does me nicely.
I think I might look into those plants this year Rehab but Gawd help you if they're not as good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top