Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2017, 10:32 AM

Wasting Money?

I don't understand much about this sort of thing, but I saw this in the paper the other day and it seems a reckless waste of money to me.

Apparently we have a "Ghost Fleet" of 19 laid-up Nuclear Submarines rusting away which have cost taxpayers £34.4 milion so far. One of these is HMS Dreadnought which was retired in 1980. It has been langhuishing in port for longer than it was even in service.

The radio active parts cannot be disposed of until an under-ground dump for all the UK's nuclear waste has been built, and it seems this will not be ready before 2040!
Some of these subs in Devonport, near Plymouth, and others are in Rosyth on the Firth of Forth.

Seems a shocking waste of money to me, when we can't afford it.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2017, 10:52 AM

Re: Wasting Money?

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I don't understand much about this sort of thing, but I saw this in the paper the other day and it seems a reckless waste of money to me.

Apparently we have a "Ghost Fleet" of 19 laid-up Nuclear Submarines rusting away which have cost taxpayers £34.4 milion so far. One of these is HMS Dreadnought which was retired in 1980. It has been langhuishing in port for longer than it was even in service.

The radio active parts cannot be disposed of until an under-ground dump for all the UK's nuclear waste has been built, and it seems this will not be ready before 2040!
Some of these subs in Devonport, near Plymouth, and others are in Rosyth on the Firth of Forth.

Seems a shocking waste of money to me, when we can't afford it.
Hi

Nimby's and Politics.

Nobody want a Nuclear Dump built near them.

The problem is massive, the Nuclear Subs are only a tiny part of it.

The cost of a storage facility will be £Billions and will take many years to build.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35096566
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2017, 11:27 AM

Pity we do not have the means to transport these Radioactive subs deep into space and send them hurtling into the sun this would dispose of all the Radioactivity.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2017, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Pity we do not have the means to transport these Radioactive subs deep into space and send them hurtling into the sun this would dispose of all the Radioactivity.
Aha a nice tune comes to mind. Set the controls to the heart of the sun.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2017, 01:19 PM

I don't see why we can't dispose of nuclear waste in deep mine shafts. All of the ones in this country are now disused and, subject to surveys to establish freedom from underground watercourses, they could be a safe resting place for nuclear waste indefinitely.
Shadowman
Wisconsin, USA
Shadowman is male  Shadowman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 04:22 AM

Pretty good program on Public Television right now about nuclear waste disposal. Apparently the problem with sending it into the Sun is the fact that occasionally rockets blow up on lift off or shortly thereafter. If it blows up on lift off or any where near Earth's gravity, it would spread radiation everywhere. Most burial or mine prospect don't pan out because of earthquake or leakage problems, and they cannot figure out how to warn off future humans from disturbing by future mining, building etc. for the ten thousand years it will take for the radiation to diminish. Our only chance is to genetically engineer a radiation resistant breed of humans. In that regard, Cockroaches are ahead of us.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Shadowman ->
Most burial or mine prospect don't pan out because of earthquake or leakage problems
Leakage - vitrification.

Earthquakes - use a non-earthquake area, like Britain!
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
I think has been already thought of.

The problem is getting the stuff into space. What happens if vehicle were to explode on launch or malfunction on ascent and come crashing back to Earth...packed with deadly radioactive material scattering over a massive area. Can anyone remember the scares caused after the Chernobyl incident and the widespread contamination? That would be nothing in comparison.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Earthquakes - use a non-earthquake area, like Britain!
Earthquakes in the UK

The UK is not generally associated with earthquakes, however, between 20 to 30 earthquakes are felt by people each year, and a few hundred smaller ones are recorded by sensitive instruments.

Most of these are very small and cause no damage.

However, some British earthquakes have caused considerable damage, although nothing like the devastation caused by large earthquakes in other parts of the world.

The largest

The largest known British earthquake occurred near the Dogger Bank in 1931, with a magnitude of 6.1.

Fortunately, it was 60 miles offshore but was still powerful enough to cause minor damage to buildings on the east coast of England.

The most damaging UK earthquake was in the Colchester area in 1884. Some 1200 buildings needed repairs, chimneys collapsed and walls were cracked.
I've felt several .....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 01:03 PM

Hi

Cheshire would be good, the old salt mines.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top