Join for free
Page 1 of 65 1 2 3 11 51 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 12:10 PM

I am all worn out

I am seriously fed up.

Some of you may recall my ongoing house insurance claim for subsidence which I have been fighting them about since late 2010!!

Repairs - or should I say 'bodges,' were carried out initially but it did nothing to stop the cracks starting all over again.
Ever since then I have been fighting to get something done again.
I paid an excess fee (£1,000) first time, then when it started all over again they expected me to pay a second time. Another fight ensued, and eventually I won and they waived the second excess.

Thing is, now they have told me they are finally going to get on with the repairs, after finding the cause was neighbouring tree roots all along, even though past surveyors and bore holes said there were none!! 5 trees have now been removed.

The 2 men who visited a couple of weeks ago said I have got to move out as they need to have the floor up and remove my cooker, washing machine, fridge and freezer.
I won't be able to get food or wash my clothes, let alone where on earth can I go with 5 dogs? I will not kennel them, they wouldn't cope plus it would cost a fortune for 5.

After chasing the insurers yet again yesterday and today, they have finally sent me a copy of their site meeting, and most of what is written down is nothing like what I agreed with these men at the time.

They are now saying I won't have to move out, that I have some roof work done myself BEFORE they can start (news to me), that they will move my white goods into the shed (they know jolly well there isn't any room), it will take 3 weeks (they told me before 10 days but allow a fortnight),
they told me someone will show me new flooring samples to choose from, yet now there is no mention of that.
They are removing all kitchen cupboards, - wall and floor - where the hell are they going to put everything?

Every room in my bungalow is going to be full to overflowing with machinery, white goods, kitchen furniture, cupboards and units, and boxes full of things, so that the kitchen is entirely empty.
How the hell can I live there like that? We can't stay locked in my bedroom only for three weeks. The dogs won't even be able to access the garden.

I am in tears here. I am dreading it and don't know what to do. I have really had enough of it all and I'm tired of handling everything on my own.

Sorry to go on so, it is not like me, but all this has really got to me and worn me down now.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 12:16 PM

Re: I am all worn out

Oh dear Mups, that's very stressful!
I'd offer to put you up if I lived nearer and had room, have a hug!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 12:17 PM

Mups, l am really sorry about what you are going through.

You are welcome to come and stay at my house whilst the work is being done.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 12:20 PM

Oh Mups you poor thing

My first thought was asking, have you got a relative or close friend that could put you and the dogs up for the duration?
Or a week at a time?
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 12:22 PM

Has anyone got a spare caravan?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 12:23 PM

Garage?
Don't go giving them cups of tea either!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 12:25 PM

Sorry to hear about your predicament Mups, it must be very trying for you. My old mum found herself in a similar situation a couple of years ago when the entire floor(s) of her house needed to be replaced. She was confined to living in one room (lounge) while the floors were replaced in the other rooms and when those were done she moved into one of the completed rooms while the lounge floor was being sorted. At least she had access to the bathroom and her bedroom. All in all a lot of disruption but she came through it okay as will you.

Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 12:25 PM

Mups this is awful, but try to hold back the tears and be strong. If you had a flood or fire the insurance would have to pay for you to rent accommodation so, as the house will be unfit to live in, you should ask if they will cover the cost of alternative accommodation.
If they agree then your real problem will be finding somewhere to rent for the 3 weeks, with pets. Perhaps you could rent a static caravan, as though you were on holiday. I know it won't be ideal but it is only for a short time and your dogs could be with you.

Phone me if you want to chat.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

26-07-2017, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
If you had a flood or fire the insurance would have to pay for you to rent accommodation so, as the house will be unfit to live in, you should ask if they will cover the cost of alternative accommodation.
A very good point Twink
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 12:30 PM

Hi Mups

I feel really sorry for you having to sort everything out on your own. I'm sure all of us on here will try to help you as much as possible and already some lovely offers have been made.

Firstly, I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that they have already started removing your kitchen?

Secondly, does your insurance cover you for alternative accommodation? If so, they have to supply somewhere 'like for like'. Moving out would be better if you possibly can. It would be better for you and your dogs and also allow the workman to complete quicker.

Get some advice before you agree to anything. Maybe a trip to your local CAB would be a good idea.

Sending you some hugs Mups. you know we are all here to help you if we possibly can.

Page 1 of 65 1 2 3 11 51 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top