Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Greenhorn
England
Greenhorn is male  Greenhorn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 07:43 AM

Re: Plums

Thanks for the recipe Joe. Sounds like something I might have a go at.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 08:20 AM

I would use some of them to make Spiced Plum Chutney:-

Spiced Plum Chutney

Ingredients

• vegetable oil
• 4 shallots
• 1 kg mixed plums
• 3 fresh bay leaves
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 5 cloves
• ½ teaspoon ground allspice
• ½ teaspoon ground ginger
• 400 g brown sugar
• 1 orange
• cider vinegar

Method

1. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over a low heat. Peel and slice the shallots, then cook gently, or until softened and golden brown. Meanwhile, stone and chop the plums.
2. Add the bay leaves and spices to the pan, fry for 1 minute then stir in the plums. Add the sugar and finely grate in the orange zest.
3. Squeeze the orange juice into a measuring jug and top up to 450ml with cider vinegar. Add to the pan and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer slowly until most of the water has evaporated and the chutney is reduced and thick, stirring now and then as it cooks.
4. Remove the Bay leaves. Spoon the chutney into sterilised jars and seal straight away. Leave to cool and store in a cupboard for a few weeks before eating.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Greenhorn ->
Thanks for the recipe Joe. Sounds like something I might have a go at.

You're very wel(hic)come matey - Nostravia!!!
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2017, 10:49 AM

Last year i went around my neighbours giving plums to all the kids, and i made a couple of gallon of plum wine. Been giving this years crop away again, and having 3/4 plums cut into little pieces with my weetabix each morning.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2017, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by SamTheMan ->
Last year i went around my neighbours giving plums to all the kids, and i made a couple of gallon of plum wine. Been giving this years crop away again, and having 3/4 plums cut into little pieces with my weetabix each morning.

Such a waste!!! - can make slivovitch with some of the plums and also plum sponge puddings too!!!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2017, 10:59 AM

slivovitch.. that stuff is deadly!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

10-09-2017, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
slivovitch.. that stuff is deadly!

But it descales the tubes magnificently!!!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2017, 02:20 PM

I like Victoria Plums but not seen any in the super markets
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 11:19 AM

I will try that recipe ST it sounds lovely.

The squirrel eats most of our plums I find them all over the garden. Though I must prune the tree soon as the plums are mainly at the top now, so I must encourage new growth.
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 08:52 PM

I've picked the last of the plums this afternoon, they're a bit soft and wrinkly, but i'll cut them up and put them in with my cereal in the morning.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top