Join for free
Page 76 of 370 « First < 26 66 74 75 76 77 78 86 126 176 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 11:35 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Walking's good Steven, even though I mostly run I find it so relaxing and interesting to walk, observing the world at a more leisurely pace and noticing things I had missed while running.

I would also find it difficult to run with someone else Surfermom, although I have in the past attended a running club and trained with other runners of a similar standard. How many times have I met long distance runners who no longer run because of the loneliness encountered on the 'Long Sunday Run' any that are still running limit their activities to going down the club with an occasional 10K, I suspect the social side of club running is as much the reason for attendance as is the training. I positively embrace the time spent on my own while pounding the country roads.

I must be wired up the same way as you Surfermom, I give very little quarter to accepting less, believing that to climb down from the lofty plateau of acquired fitness would be the thin end of a very sedate wedge. But at the end of the day, as you correctly point out, being able to continue with my excursions out into Mother Natures Bosom at will, and to converse with other runners who have discovered the secret is a gift not to be taken lightly. Religion? Perhaps.....

I have done very little running in temperatures of over 29c except when I competed in the Newark Half Marathon August 2003 when it turned out to be the hottest day on record and for the first time in my career ran over two hours for a half. These days it's dropping below 20c and welcome it is too.....

Good luck with your new shoes, I hope you enjoy many blister free runs, although I can't remember the last time I had a blister, pain free running comes with experience as I'm sure you'll testify. I've still got a pair of new running shoes in hand, when you find the perfect pair it's best to stock up before some muppet goes and changes the design.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2017, 06:07 AM

Hello, Steven. Well done on keeping up your fitness. You will like this thread as we there are a wide variety of activities we choose to stay fit..but choose, we do!'

Ah, yes, OGF, I also squirrel away pairs of running shoes when I find a pair that works perfectly, and I went through a near crisis when they retired my model last year. While I haven't found the perfect replacement, I am getting close. Today's pair seem to do the job, but time will tell. Blister? What's a blister? I haven't seen one of those in years .

Yes, it may well be a religion, and if so, I was one of the faithful who went to church today. It was pure joy to run mid morning - a welcome change from the summer routine of sunrise or sunset to avoid the high temperatures of the day. At a crisp 70 (21.1) degrees the cerulean sky was my friend today whirling late summer breezes that nudged my back for the first part of the run. Low tide provided a wide, firm surface that I shared with herons and laughing gulls patiently waiting for breakfast. Dotted along the shoreline, surf fishermen offered waves and nods of encouragement, but I otherwise had the length of my course to myself. Checking for surf spots out of the corner of my eye, no waves congealed, so I decided I had the time for distance and pushed it to seven. No pride here, however. The willets and sanderlings put me in my place with their incredible speed and tenacity.

Now it will get interesting with tropical force winds soon upon us. I may have to tack like a sailboat for the second half of tomorrow's run.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2017, 03:15 AM

Although I was planning a recovery day, I spent the day running around stowing this that and the other thing from the howling winds. Even so, restlessness settled in and I did a session of step aerobics. It was a good enough workout, but it was indoors so humpf.

Everryone is out of the house for dinner and I have it strangely to myself for the first time in ages, choosing to stay home and watch the dogs. Aaaaah.

I should probably do something celebratory, but will probably settle in with an old movie or a book too-long neglected on the bedside table.

Ah, I am a wild one indeed....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2017, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Although I was planning a recovery day, I spent the day running around stowing this that and the other thing from the howling winds. Even so, restlessness settled in and I did a session of step aerobics. It was a good enough workout, but it was indoors so humpf.

Everryone is out of the house for dinner and I have it strangely to myself for the first time in ages, choosing to stay home and watch the dogs. Aaaaah.

I should probably do something celebratory, but will probably settle in with an old movie or a book too-long neglected on the bedside table.

Ah, I am a wild one indeed....
Sometimes a day's rest is good Surfermom, just go with the flow...
After just lumbering round an eight miler first thing yesterday morning, I spent the rest of the day feeling like I should have gone further. Mrs Fox pointed out that this old eleventh century church was having an open day. It's always locked up when I run past so I thought it would be a good idea to go and have a look inside. It was full of memorabilia and old photographs of the village, it's just a pity that I'm going to have to wait until the next open day to read it.........I forgot my specs!

The visit wasn't wasted though, Mrs Fox enjoyed it and it was a three mile walk to get there and back. Unfortunately, the wind and rain that sent me to sleep last night was still apparent this morning, so any chance of a quick impromptu run was abandoned, but tomorrow is a scheduled eight miles, so come hell or high water it will happen. I resumed my forty pressups (pushups) on Saturday and thus far have had no adverse reaction, so the stiff neck must have been something else.....And no, it wasn't as a result of anything rude thank you.....

Right, rains stopped, so I'll take this opportunity to take my prescription to the surgery and perhaps fit in a walk along the canal towpath......Laters....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

12-09-2017, 10:22 AM

Tuesday morning and here I am 'lurking' around the 'Exercise and Fitness' thread....
This morning's eight mile run went without a hitch, although the time could have been better. Decent enough for an old bloke, and it has left me dazed but not wiped out, more than enough energy to accompany Mrs Fox around Meadowhall...(A great big shopping Mall just outside Sheffield if you were wondering Surfermom) I only go because food is in great quantity and varied.....Yum Yum......must dash now....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

13-09-2017, 03:45 AM

This is such a spectacular time of year to run, OGF! How wonderful that you enjoyed every mile of the eight and still had enough energy to carry all those shopping bags to the car! Thank you for the elaboration on the mall too .

Today was one of such perfection that it was the stuff of fairy tales. With nary a cloud in the sky above the emerald sea, we mere mortals thronged outdoors to take in the vivid colors of the rain-washed world. Cool breezes lifted the flags and danced around the arms and legs of dedicated runners and beachgoers soaking up the late summer sun. Smiling as they passed, some waved while others offered words of encouragement. Running along the ebbing shoreline, I plucked shells from the sand and offered them to young children, rubbed the ears of a happy, jumping dog, and tossed out hellos like flowers. I am sure I spoke to a dozen or more people along the way.

Feeling unusually light and energetic, I pushed well beyond the usual six miles and stretched the distance to a lucky seven....at least I thought it was lucky...

...Until, glancing in the mirror upon my return, I came to the horrifying realization that while speaking to the entire population of Florida over a long stretch of beach, I had been wearing my running tank top...inside out.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

13-09-2017, 10:19 AM

Oh God! I was there Surfermom, while reading your post my mind wandered to a sun soaked beach of fine white sand with palms and other exotic flora lining it's edges....I shouldn't worry about your running tank top being inside out, back to front! now that would have raised a few eyebrows....

While competing in a marathon some years ago an ample bosomed friends wife crossed the finish line as one popped out....The sound of camera shutters clicking was deafening....I'm happy to report there was no lasting damage and I've still got about half a dozen pictures of the event....
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 10:42 AM

Well I get tired just reading the post in here

Sufermom, glad to see you are fine. I smiled when I read you had run with your top inside out as something similar happened to me. My old very tight jogging bottoms were stretched to the brink of disaster but I thought I could get one more run out of them. Wrong!!

Lets just say a lot of people saw more of me that day than was intended

Anyway, I thought I might make my husband drive me a couple of miles away today and I run back home with these gusty winds behind me, I should break all my records
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

14-09-2017, 01:56 AM

Cedronella, how very, funny about your shorts! I suspect we wear the same style, so I know how disastrous that must have felt. What a wonderful idea to be driven to a place that will give you a sailing effect home...congrats on what must have been trophy-worthy times! . Do you run on the roads or off road most of the time?

OGF, my gosh, in thinking about your friend's wife's marathon finish (has she left the house since?), I must confess I have had similar experiences out in the water falling or jumping off the board. This is why we surfers are very, very particular about buying "technical" bikinis - surfer speak for "keep the girls covered" bikinis .

Enjoy your last home run tomorrow. I had another happy, long run with no pressing appointments causing me to cut distance or time - something I admittedly dislike very much. Without question, running is the most selfish thing I do. I guess there are worse things .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

14-09-2017, 11:48 AM

Thanks Surfermom (I always seem to be thanking you just lately) It was a while ago since my friends wife had her unfortunate incident and since then she is no longer my friends wife - She now lives, by herself, across the road from me - and I haven't seen my friend for ages. Mrs Fox and me look out for her but it would still embarrass her, I'm sure, if I was to remind her....And point out that I mentioned her on the forum which is accessible to thousands of people.... Which I wouldn't....

This mornings eight mile run was like an Oasis in a Dessert of poor runs....No aches or pains - other than a slight rubbing where my heel has worn away the inside of the shoe - but I'm sure a nob of Gorilla Tape will correct the issue. Hardly any after effects, and quite a decent time to boot....

You are right about running being selfish, but what the hell, this life is not a rehersal for the next, so go out and do what you do best, and then make up for it afterwards....Do you like flowers?

So look out North Wales, the Fox is on his way.........I'll make hurricane Irma look like a summer breeze.......Wine.....Women.....Song......And Running......well!....One out of four isn't bad.....

Page 76 of 370 « First < 26 66 74 75 76 77 78 86 126 176 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top