Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 12:44 PM

History- Robin Hood

I would like to suggest a History Thread on OFF. We all know there is plenty of history to be clarified or searched for etc.

Let's kick off with Robin Hood. Part of our culture, and probably a real life historical character , if so who was he and when did he frequent the forests ?
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 12:52 PM

Re: History- Robin Hood

Sometime around the time of the crusades? for when. Who was he?-now that would hard to define-a terrorist? Or perhaps someone who hung around with fat clergy and dangerous women,whilst doing a bit of thieving on the pretence of giving a bit back to the poor.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 01:35 PM

Good idea PD. Robin Hood or Robin of Locksley 12th Century folk hero.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 02:13 PM

I have long thought that Robin Hood is a bit like King Arthur, more of an idea/impulse than an actual person. Various historical or semi-historical personages have been identified with them every now and then but his actual veracity as a real person has to be suspect.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 02:23 PM

Fantastic statue of Robin in Nottingham.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 02:44 PM

What a great idea !
I don't know much about Robin Hood ( except I loved the film with Russell Crowe as RH) actually I love Russell Crowe in just about everything but that is neither here nor there .
I have seem Will Scarlett's ( supposed ) grave in Blidworth cemetery though.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 03:19 PM

Robin Hood didn’t wear green tights. Most men at the time wore simple garb, leggings made of wool and a plain unadorned tunic, or over shirt. Only the wealthiest foresters could afford Lincoln green leggings or shirts.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Robin Hood didn’t wear green tights. Most men at the time wore simple garb, leggings made of wool and a plain unadorned tunic, or over shirt. Only the wealthiest foresters could afford Lincoln green leggings or shirts.
Most men of the time ? When was the 'time' Cinderella , do you have an idea ?

My thoughts are around 1300. Watching a programme about Henry VIII last week, it was recorded historical facts that said that he, Henry, dressed as Robin Hood to impress one of his future wives. So it must have been before 1530.

My own thoughts are connected to William Wallace, which would coincide with the Loxley bit.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 03:46 PM

Seems there were a few. http://www.robinhoodlegend.com/the-many-robin-hoods/
Fascinated by history, great thread.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2016, 03:48 PM

Presumably (if he did exist) he was active (according to the myths) during the period between Richard 1st becoming king in 1189 and his death in 1199 - in particular the time when Richard was abroad involved in the third Crusade.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top