Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 09:07 PM

Re: Council house crackdown

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Ah, I wondered how long it would be before criticisms of Margaret Thatcher, our best PM in modern times, appeared.

You are Joe, and I claim my £5!
It's hard not to see our present problems as starting with the sell off of council housing at knock down prices. If you can point to something else started it I'm sure we will all listen.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 09:21 PM

But those houses are still home to someone they are not standing empty.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 09:28 PM

But they aren't home to council tenants and haven't been replaced. That's the problem. Mrs t did that quite deliberately.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
What exactly would you attribute the the current housing crisis to ?

All those pesky foreign johnny come latelies ?
All those pesky foreign johnny come latelies.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
But they aren't home to council tenants and haven't been replaced. That's the problem. Mrs t did that quite deliberately.
But many are home to Ex council tenants whats wrong with that?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

07-09-2017, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
But many are home to Ex council tenants whats wrong with that?
Very few I'd suggest as most made a killing on the deal selling for massive amounts a few years later. Or took out second mortgages and lost their homes arriving back on the council housing list adding to the problems.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

07-09-2017, 10:08 PM

No they didn't Julie I know several people who bought the house they lived in and continued to live in it .When they came to move they still had to buy another house at the market price - and council houses used to be sold at somewhat lower than the then market price.
What you are suggesting sound like the politics of envy.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

07-09-2017, 11:40 PM

Well you obviously didn't live here in the big sell off the estate I grew up on certainly went the way I described. There's no envy in it my dad bought their house. Managed to get three mortgages before he ran out of luck and ended up back in a council flat. It was a fairly typical end round here. The estate is mostly owned by three landlords now rents are through the roof.

We are fairly lucky we got our flat and own a bit of it rest is council owned. Why would I be envious ?

Surrey is an expensive place dad bought his house for under £30000. It was sold recently for £185000
House next door is rented for £1400 a month I would guess that's what his old place will go for a after the renovations.

Only person I have ever been envious of was my sisters who had kids really easily while mine died, houses money all things I can live without.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

08-09-2017, 12:45 AM

Your Dad may have had a discount - but when he bought it- I presume quite some years ago it would not have been worth £ 180k
Your dad was unlucky and didn't do so well but other people did a man I know still lives in his parents small house that they bought many years ago - in Surrey -they are gone now and he owns it . It is his home. as a single man who has never married he would have not had much chance to get on the council list today.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 12:47 AM

The history of right to buy is an interesting read........HERE

My biased summary is that in fact before our Maggie bribed the electorate with the promise of a subsidised home, the right to buy was available..............and was being taken up at it's fastest rate since inception........Maggie's government only sped up the process and by knocking the prices down cost the country loadsa money.

The council owned, public resource was sold with the money generated from the sale banned from funding replacement of the housing pool by the governments own orders.

Over the generations council house availability has declined massively while the same housing stock has transferred into private landlords hands, this has resulted in house and rental prices rising due to market forces.

Housing prices have been forced up as a result of this ideological approach which has....................whether intentionally or not...........simply transferred council owned property into the hands of private landlords.

A brief introduction to housing issues

£9 Billion housing benefit goes to Private Landlords

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top