Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2017, 10:52 AM

I have another very hungry fox!

A few nights ago I saw a very thin fox trying to lick breadcrumbs off my patio. The next night I put out a stainless steel bowl, that my cats don't like, and left some cat food for the fox... the bowl was licked clean the next morning.
I dug out a couple of old plastic bowls, which were bigger, and bought some tins of cheap dog food.

The fox comes every night but where she licked the steel bowl clean, she now takes the plastic ones with her.
I am now going to try a larger steel bowl in the hope that she doesn't steal it.... because she is so hungry I cant stop feeding her till she looks a bit fatter.

The farmer let some men come and shoot a lot of the rabbits, so I suspect her food supply has been depleted.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2017, 11:05 AM

Re: I have another very hungry fox!

Keep up the good work Twink ... it's sad when you see a scrawny thin fox isn't it. Takes a hard heart to ignore them.

I used to have one that sneaked into the garden for a forage at the bird food .. it was lovely to see it growing a little plumper and it's coat get it's lustre back.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2017, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Keep up the good work Twink ... it's sad when you see a scrawny thin fox isn't it. Takes a hard heart to ignore them.

I used to have one that sneaked into the garden for a forage at the bird food .. it was lovely to see it growing a little plumper and it's coat get it's lustre back.
I don't want to make it dependent on me, but I wont see it starve.

Now you mention bird food, I have noticed that a very large fat ball, intended for the birds, has gone missing from a low branch on one of my trees.

I wonder where that has gone
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2017, 02:07 PM

Twink, I hope you don't mind, but I have just asked my friend with the fox sanctuary what is best to do. I will let you know as soon as I hear back from her.

Don't forget also, alot of foxes carry Sarcoptic Mange, but it seems your cats should be fairly safe as I believe it is more likely to affect dogs than cats.
They do however carry lots of roundworms.

Just found this, it may be of interest.

http://www.thefoxwebsite.net/disease/

If you are more concerned, my friend said to get in touch with this chap, Martin, (forgotten his other name), from NFW, and he will tell you your local helper.

http://www.nfws.org.uk/
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2017, 02:43 PM

Good on you Twink, she could have cubs, did you notice teats?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

22-06-2017, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Twink, I hope you don't mind, but I have just asked my friend with the fox sanctuary what is best to do. I will let you know as soon as I hear back from her.

Don't forget also, alot of foxes carry Sarcoptic Mange, but it seems your cats should be fairly safe as I believe it is more likely to affect dogs than cats.
They do however carry lots of roundworms.

Just found this, it may be of interest.

http://www.thefoxwebsite.net/disease/
Thanks Mups. The foxes come on to my garden whether I feed them or not but they never come into contact with the cats.
The cats are wormed regularly too, so they are protected from roundworms.
I don't feel that the fox is any risk to the cats, under the circumstances, but it does no harm to be aware of any possible problems, so thanks again for the link.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2017, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Thanks Mups. The foxes come on to my garden whether I feed them or not but they never come into contact with the cats.
I don't feel that the fox is any risk to the cats, under the circumstances, but it does no harm to be aware of any possible problems, so thanks again for the link.

Twinks, did you see the amended extra bit I added my previous post about the NFW society?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

22-06-2017, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Twinks, did you see the amended extra bit I added my previous post about the NFW society?
No i hadn't... but I have now. Thanks.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2017, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Why not put a couple of round worm pills in the food just in case ?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

22-06-2017, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Why not put a couple of round worm pills in the food just in case ?
I will have to get some first.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top