Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 05:32 PM

Electric Cars

Hi again. Been a while but thought I'd pop back in for a while

All this stuff about phasing out petrol cars etc over the next couple of decades. I think that nobody should worry due the following observations:

1/. We have resourced all of the cable and found cheap copper plentiful enough to enable it (even though it is an increasingly scarce and expensive metal)

2/. We have manufactured sufficient charging posts to run along motorways, in car parks, on residential roads, on driveways so that every car will be able to hook up as and when needed. Plus these charging points have sufficient posts to install into the ground, and the concrete used to hold them in place will not be environmentally unfriendly in any way.

3/. We have already started the huge engineering work of digging up hundreds of thousands of miles of highways, pavements, car parks in every town, city, pub, farm etc etc for the network of cables.

4/. We have devised ways to ensure that the cables connecting the cars to charging points will not be a hazard to pedestrians, especially those who want to walk between cars in order to cross the road.

5/. We have found a way to ensure that these cables will not be easy targets for vandals and metal thieves who, by their actions, will leave live and exposed wires anywhere.

6/. We have found all of the minerals required to manufacture both the batteries as well as induction coils required for electric motors to work.

7/. We have found a way to make sure that the replacement of old and dysfunctional batteries is cheap, as well as determined safe and effective ways of disposing of old units.

8/. We have determined a way to ensure that in the event of accidents and crashes, the hazardous chemicals within batteries will never leak out nor hurt anyone.

9/. We have created the extensive increase in electricity output required to keep this system going, without the need to burn fossil fuels, nor to have windmill generators every 100yards or so.

10/. We now know how to keep the wind blowing at the optimum speed 24/7.

11/. We have devised a way for all houses to generate additional replaceable energy, through roof panels, additional windmills on every building in the country, as well as using water butts to not only provide water for our gardens, but also to act as micro hydroelectric dams. We will therefore have a surplus of electricity and not need to import it at all!

So, if you are worried. Don't be. Look around and see it all in action (or indeed "inaction!!!) as we speak. Nothing to worry about.

(mods - feel free to move this to another thread if it's already been/being discussed. I've been away for a while)
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 05:51 PM

Re: Electric Cars

Second hand car market will collapse, who will buy a car knowing tat that hey have to replace the batteries?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Second hand car market will collapse, who will buy a car knowing tat that hey have to replace the batteries?
Seems to me, that apart from the somewhat obvious points/questions pointed out in my op, there should be a way of converting existing cars to electric ones. After all, all it needs is a space for the motor and battery and some kind of replacement/upgrade for the gears and driveshafts etc? Seems to me that the basic design of the body won't have to be changed.

Could even start with cost effective conversions into hybrids instead of replacing the whole car? Surely not beyond the wit of humans?
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Seems to me, that apart from the somewhat obvious points/questions pointed out in my op, there should be a way of converting existing cars to electric ones. After all, all it needs is a space for the motor and battery and some kind of replacement/upgrade for the gears and driveshafts etc? Seems to me that the basic design of the body won't have to be changed.

Could even start with cost effective conversions into hybrids instead of replacing the whole car? Surely not beyond the wit of humans?
Cost effective,, I'm sure that with enough time and money a normal car could be converted, any thing is possible, however it would not be cost effective, there's too much to change to make it work , the engine, would need to be removed, the gearbox also, the body too to accommodate the batteries, plus the entire wiring loom , too much to convert to electric or hybrid
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
2/. We have manufactured sufficient charging posts to run along motorways, in car parks, on residential roads, on driveways so that every car will be able to hook up as and when needed.
Really??!

I seriously doubt that.

Think about all those cars on the roads, many thousands of them. Charging a car takes hours. We most certainly don't have enough charging points to accommodate all those cars for that length of time.

The electric car world will never truly happen imo. They will always need to be an alternative energy source, a 100% reliable one. Imagine making a journey and being caught in a major traffic jam. Big accident say, motorways closed off and all current users stuck there for some hours. Happens frequently. All those electric cars would start to run out of juice with people wanting to keep warm, listen to the radio and so on. Then you've got a motorway full of cars that someone else is going to have to move, what a nightmare !

It ain't gonna happen.

Hybrids, yes, a mix of petrol or other fuel and electric, but pure electric no.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

25-10-2017, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Really??!

I seriously doubt that.

Think about all those cars on the roads, many thousands of them. Charging a car takes hours. We most certainly don't have enough charging points to accommodate all those cars for that length of time..
You're quite right to doubt it. The thing is that none of the things in the list appear to have started which, given the suggested timescale of no more petrol cars being manufactured after 2040, is a bit worrying
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Originally Posted by Realist ->

Think about all those cars on the roads, many thousands of them. Charging a car takes hours. We most certainly don't have enough charging points to accommodate all those cars for that length of time.
Blinkered thinking.

Wouldn't the easiest way to recharge a car just to put in another set of charged batteries? rather like you change gas bottles rather than fill them now. Then the charging station is responsible for replacement batteries.

Shouldn't be too hard to design an electric car around easily removable standardised batteries.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

26-10-2017, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Blinkered thinking.

Wouldn't the easiest way to recharge a car just to put in another set of charged batteries? rather like you change gas bottles rather than fill them now. Then the charging station is responsible for replacement batteries.

Shouldn't be too hard to design an electric car around easily removable standardised batteries.
An interesting point. But it doesn't really answer all of the other points in my op. Also, the batteries used to power electric cars are somewhat heavy, far more so than those used in hybrid cars, which are also not exactly light.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 09:34 AM

I'd love to see what they'll do about those of us in flats too, they say at the moment no chance we will ever be able to have one as we are too far from where the cars are parked.

Also unless they are giving them away free how will many actually afford to buy one ? Certainly can't just chuck our cars away and start again just like that. Businesses too are invested in diesel vans and lorries, imagine the price of food etc if they have to change their vehicles.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2017, 09:38 AM

My friend just bought a new BMW electric car, well I'm saying electric but it also has a small petrol tank that I think holds two gallons of fuel just in case she needs it. She has a fast charging thing in her garage I think the BMW people sorted it all for her as part of the package. She likes it but it has taken some getting used to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top