Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 12:27 AM

Re: car batteries

https://www.racshop.co.uk/advice/what-is-an-agm-battery

Section from above link

The AGM battery is cheap to manufacture compared to other strategies used to help reduce carbon emissions, making vehicles more efficient and cleaner. AGM batteries offer a number of advantages over traditional lead batteries, including;

Less expensive – they can typically last up to two times longer
More reliable – greater tolerance to hot and cold temperatures
Greater performance – ideally suited for vehicles equipped with lots of electronic devices and accessories
Slower discharge whilst not in use
More durable – greater vibration resistance
Safer – no free-flowing electrolyte, therefore no spill hazard
More powerful – improved performance
AGM technology batteries can typically reduce C02 emissions by up to 8% more than traditional batteries
Vehicles fitted with AGM batteries must be re-coded whenever removed or replaced; therefore it is recommended this is done by a professional.

The whole article is worth a read
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

The AGM battery is cheap to manufacture compared to other strategies used to help reduce carbon emissions, making vehicles more efficient and cleaner. AGM batteries offer a number of advantages over traditional lead batteries, including;

Less expensive – they can typically last up to two times longer
More reliable – greater tolerance to hot and cold temperatures
Greater performance – ideally suited for vehicles equipped with lots of electronic devices and accessories
Slower discharge whilst not in use
More durable – greater vibration resistance
Safer – no free-flowing electrolyte, therefore no spill hazard
More powerful – improved performance
AGM technology batteries can typically reduce C02 emissions by up to 8% more than traditional batteries
Vehicles fitted with AGM batteries must be re-coded whenever removed or replaced; therefore it is recommended this is done by a professional.
Do you have a stop/start car? because frankly several of the above items are meaningless unless you do and some like "greater performance" and "AGM Technology" are gobbledegook

AGM batteries are just a lead acid battery with the glass matting preventing problems in standard lead acid batteries caused by treeing etc and allowing the battery to be used in any position it is just like gell batteries in that regard. They don't vent (normally) but can only take a small amount of overcharging.

I must admit I can't see the advantage of an AGM battery as a starting battery in a normal vehicle. It just adds complexity where there is no need.

My AGM battery has a 25 amp smart charger but it can cope with solar or alternator input as well as a "smart" alternator because the latter can be a problem with aux batteries. It also has different characteristics for different battery types.

It is good for the purpose I use it for but for the main battery? Nah! too expensive and unnecessary
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 10:59 AM

Bruce
This is really about the UK winter weather and the need to look after car batteries. Maybe where you are you don't get the cold weather as we do when it can go up to -15c or- 20c degrees.

We have this time of year more breakdowns due to flat batteries causing chaos on our roads to other motorists, purely because batteries arn't looked after properly

it is not about which battery is better than the other type.

Yes we both have stop/start cars
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 01:29 PM

The antidote to this thread:

The only time I have drained my battery and had to call for assistance was in the summer.

I stupidly had the air con blasting and the radio on whilst I ate a hot pie.

Click, click, click.

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 09:06 PM

Personally I think stop/start cars are silly, and is taking the economy/green issue completely to the extreme....some modern technology is a step backwards but is sold as innovative and a 'must have' item.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Bruce
This is really about the UK winter weather and the need to look after car batteries. Maybe where you are you don't get the cold weather as we do when it can go up to -15c or- 20c degrees.

We have this time of year more breakdowns due to flat batteries causing chaos on our roads to other motorists, purely because batteries arn't looked after properly

it is not about which battery is better than the other type.

Yes we both have stop/start cars
I understand that which is why I was making the point that the 5 amp charger you were showing is not going to save you from a dodgy battery, you need a charger with a bit more ooomph!

Also I was not making the point that that a particular battery is better merely discussing the different characteristics of them and exposing some of the absurd hype surrounding them as given by the RAC who obviously has a vested interest in selling them.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top