Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Old Supporter
Bedfordshire UK
Old Supporter is male  Old Supporter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 08:25 AM

"Divorce Bill"

Is anyone else as completely underwhelmed by the "agreement" reached?

Makes the question of who to vote for next time really complicated. At 81 years old I have voted in every election, and always for conservatives, but if it has taken this length of time to just give in to nearly every demand, something else needs to happen before the next election
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 08:33 AM

Re: "Divorce Bill"

I think Teresa May is too weak for the job, we shouldn't have to pay a Divorce bill of £40b, we should have just walked away. I think if that was Margaret Thatcher as Prime Minister, she wouldn't have stood for that.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 08:43 AM

There were always going to be compromises and this is just one of many more to come, it is in fact much less than the EU wanted so they too have compromised.

It is a fact that in any separation you cannot just turn your back on your ex, promises previously made must be kept and showing respect for one another's situation should help to maintain a good relationship in the future, which is vitally important for all parties. The EU will still be our closest neighbour and a very important trading partner, a relationship we should continue to nurture.

There were also always going to be costs associated with leaving but to me they are very short term and, ultimately, well worth paying to ensure a future free of the EU shackle....
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I think Teresa May is too weak for the job, we shouldn't have to pay a Divorce bill of £40b, we should have just walked away. I think if that was Margaret Thatcher as Prime Minister, she wouldn't have stood for that.
I thought that at first but she's being very cagey imo,she's all but got the first stage through,if you listen to the DUP there is still one or two matters they are not happy with non the less May went to Brussels any way.She is a remain PM who is being very clever in selling herself as a brexiteer in hard ball negotiations whilst not giving in too much but enough to appease Juncker et al.She now as to stand up to Johnson and Gove,thell then how it is,like it or jump ship.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 11:40 AM

According to Sky brussels wanted a far bigger sum than May negotiated.

Britain will pay a Brexit "divorce bill" substantially lower than the sum demanded by the European Union, Sky News can reveal.
EU negotiators were seeking €60bn to €75bn euros (up to £66bn), but were bargained down by the UK to £35-£39bn
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...cid=spartandhp
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 12:54 PM

I am convinced that your P M is fighting very hard for the U K over Brexit, but there are those amongst your Government that find that difficult to accept, they have to try and undermine her at every turn. There is not one of them that would have been capable to have even got this far. Brexit is a done deal the U K population voted in favour, not going to be changed, so for heavens sake get behind your P M instead of trying to De-rail her at every turn. Some are like a 5 year old who has been told it cant have what it wants .
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
According to Sky brussels wanted a far bigger sum than May negotiated.
As far as I can see, Brussels is behaving like a "Put Out Ex Partner", and is therefore making things awkward and taking us for all they can. They are totally P****d at us for leaving and determind to make us pay..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 12:58 PM

Personally I don't remember marrying the eu so why are we paying a divorce bill at all ? What exactly does it comprise of ?

If we were married I'd feel like an abused wife and a simple cut off from them no one paying either side would be deal I'd want.
caricature
Devon,England.

09-12-2017, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Personally I don't remember marrying the eu so why are we paying a divorce bill at all ? What exactly does it comprise of ?

If we were married I'd feel like an abused wife and a simple cut off from them no one paying either side would be deal I'd want.
Its probably in the small print somewhere that an ex PM agreed we should pay x amount year on year, to be able to extract ourselves from this payments have to be made to honour some of this.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
As far as I can see, Brussels is behaving like a "Put Out Ex Partner", and is therefore making things awkward and taking us for all they can. They are totally P****d at us for leaving and determind to make us pay..
Hi

As Mountaintop has pointed out, that is Politics.

This was the easy bit, the Trade Negotiations are, in my view, going to be much more difficult.

The EU has just completed deals with Canada and Japan, Japan being the big one.

These deals normally include a clause saying that subsequent deals with others cannot offer more than the deal that has been signed.

That could restrict us to the same deal Canada and Japan have, rather than the one we want.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top