Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 02:02 PM

Re: "Divorce Bill"

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I think Teresa May is too weak for the job, we shouldn't have to pay a Divorce bill of £40b, we should have just walked away. I think if that was Margaret Thatcher as Prime Minister, she wouldn't have stood for that.
Well said. May is too weak to handle this. I used to think/hope she was just been taciturn and keeping her own tactical plans close to her chest .... instead she just reacts to others demands instead of instigating anything. She's just clinging to the raft and playing a game of damage limitation by their rules.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 02:20 PM

I have never heard a proper explanation for a Divorce Bill, and I gather there is no legal or economic justification for it. I find it very strange that you should have to pay to leave any organisation, and it would be very satisfying, as the man said, to tell the EU to go whistle

However, we must remember that we are dealing with a particularly spiteful and vindictive organisation
Faced with the prospect of losing their 4th biggest financial contributor, the EU is demanding a sweetener or they will make any subsequent trade negotiations difficult and unfavourable for Britain

Presumably someone has worked out a crossover or break even point where a good trade deal will recover the cost of the ransom. Or to put it another way, what is the minimum amount we can pay the EU before they get too nasty
That would appear to be about £39 billion
A bitter pill to swallow, but it looks like it's the best of a bad job

There is the option of reducing or avoiding the Bill if a decent trade deal is not forthcoming, though whether TM and the rest of the negotiators would have the guts to do so is another matter

What I find particularly sickening about this aspect of Brexit is that Clegg, Chukka Unnathingy and others are more concerned that we should give large sums of money to the EU than they are about Britain
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
I am convinced that your P M is fighting very hard for the U K over Brexit, but there are those amongst your Government that find that difficult to accept, they have to try and undermine her at every turn. There is not one of them that would have been capable to have even got this far. Brexit is a done deal the U K population voted in favour, not going to be changed, so for heavens sake get behind your P M instead of trying to De-rail her at every turn. Some are like a 5 year old who has been told it cant have what it wants .
I agree with you

The Referendum gave us a simple choice ; to remain in or to leave the EU. The result was a straightforward majority in favour of Leave

Since then, many of those who voted remain have done everything they can to reverse or subvert that democratic decision
You are not the first to liken them to spoiled kids
I call them for what they are - traitors and quislings
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 02:45 PM

I see Teresa may as a very strong woman not many could still carry on with what she's gone through since stepping into pm roll. Aged her about thirty years but she's still standing and in high heels too !
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
i agree with you

the referendum gave us a simple choice ; to remain in or to leave the eu. The result was a straightforward majority in favour of leave

since then, many of those who voted remain have done everything they can to reverse or subvert that democratic decision
you are not the first to liken them to spoiled kids
i call them for what they are - traitors and quislings

swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 05:04 PM

Hi

The fact remains that we, that is to say, Cameron, signed up to significant Budget Contributions until the end of the current Budget Round in 2020.

How much this amounts to, I have no idea.

We are also asking for a Transition Period until 2021, which we will havw to pay for.

EU Pensions, are, like our State Pensions, unfunded, paid for out of Revenue, so we are stuck with our share of them.

We also have some very big loans from the EU,Crossrail etc.

I have absolutely no idea how much they add up to.

I would hope that we have added them all up and only pay what we have to.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 05:28 PM

Yes Cameron signed up to a lot of things and T May is having to juggle those things whilst still trying to get a good deal for the U K out of the E U. I dont even see many past P MS being able to do what she is doing , she has my admiration .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 11:11 PM

Some good points have been raised here, I particularly liked Barry's post, It makes good sense to leave the EU on good terms but it's going to be an uphill struggle. The EU and Juncker especially, want to make an example of the UK so no other country will attempt to leave.....
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Well said. May is too weak to handle this. I used to think/hope she was just been taciturn and keeping her own tactical plans close to her chest .... instead she just reacts to others demands instead of instigating anything. She's just clinging to the raft and playing a game of damage limitation by their rules.
Spot on. I'm beyond disappointed. The woman must go as she isn't fit to do the job.

The vast majority of those who voted to leave voted for just that - to leave. We knew there would be some transitory consequences, but far better that than being tied to this corrupt, money grabbing odious bunch of unelected toadies.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
Spot on. I'm beyond disappointed. The woman must go as she isn't fit to do the job.

The vast majority of those who voted to leave voted for just that - to leave. We knew there would be some transitory consequences, but far better that than being tied to this corrupt, money grabbing odious bunch of unelected toadies.
It's no good being polite with them Fogey....You have to tell it like it is...

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top