Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 10:34 AM

Grenfell Tower

Am I missing something , but why is this shell still standing after 6 months? The poor people that survived having to see daily in some cases where their friends or relatives died.I hear that they are still collecting evidence !!!! disgusting.
The place should have been raised to the ground months ago.
Also it seems that many of the people from there have not been housed in permanent homes yet.
The whole thing now stinks of incompetence by Local Authority and also the Government. In 6 months they could have built enough houses for all the families. But for heavens sake knock this building down
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 10:47 AM

Re: Grenfell Tower

I think it's all to do with investigations, forensics , and I dare say, the inquiry to follow. It took months to establish how many people lost their lives. 42 were found in one room, according to the press, and they all had to be identified.
A long painstaking task, which must have been relentlessly gone over and over with a fine tooth comb.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 11:16 AM

Apparently almost all of the residents were immigrants. This is what happens when you let too many people into the country that has insufficient housing and services to cope. Hence, hastily erected buildings done on the cheap.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 11:29 AM

It should at least have been shrouded by now it's a terrible thing for neighbours to have to look at. When the previous block to the one I live in burned down it only took weeks to shroud it, and about twelve weeks to demolish it. 18 months to decide what to do next and 6 months to rebuild.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 11:45 AM

I understand Grenfell Tower is a 'crime scene ' and can't be touched until any criminal proceedings have been concluded.

With regard to rehousing , it is difficult to find permanent housing for so many people in one area all at the same time . I heard one woman on the radio who is living in a hotel say she has turned down temporary housing believing if she takes it she will miss out on one of the newly built houses that will become available very soon.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I understand Grenfell Tower is a 'crime scene ' and can't be touched until any criminal proceedings have been concluded.
That's what I thought.....and if criminal charges are brought it'd remain until those proceedings closed.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Apparently almost all of the residents were immigrants. This is what happens when you let too many people into the country that has insufficient housing and services to cope. Hence, hastily erected buildings done on the cheap.
I agree OGF. It's ok to keep taking people in and being so charitable but where are they to live. We barley have enough homes for our own people to live.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The refurb wasn't done hastily or on the cheap. The building was there for decades and would have housed many people over that time, immigrants and non-immigrants.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 01:58 PM

They are planning to cover it up and I think the scheduled date was sometime in January once they complete investigations. However, I think it should be left as a reminder of misguided planning and the terrible tragedies that sloppy thinking can lead to. This all started because gentrification required the brutalist '60s architecture to be hidden. Westfield is over the flyover, newly built, shiny and oozing affluence. The whole area was under pressure to posh-up.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 05:24 PM

NOOOOooooo dont leave it for all these people to keep seeing, it must be awful . How long does it take to get evidence etc, how much are they working on it , half a day a week. They , whoever they are , are dragging their feet over this waiting to see who is going to get the blame . The residents dont matter to them until someone really blows the whistle on why it is taking so long, or is it that the ex residents of Grenfell GTower are holding out in the hope that the will be GIVEN much better accommodation than they had before.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top