Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 01:25 AM

Re: computer alteration

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->

As for things not running on W10 that worked on W7, it's designed like that to force you to spend money on more windows products.
Such as?

I ask because I am still using Money 2003 which M$ abandoned many years ago but it works fine on WIN10 and so far have not yet come across a program that worked on WIN7 that doesn't work on 10. If anything it is the other way round.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I have not had to pay anything for Office 365, what on Earth are you talking about?
You may of course have a different free version, but the ones I have come across have to be renewed for a fee every year, hence the 365 (days) bit
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Such as?

I ask because I am still using Money 2003 which M$ abandoned many years ago but it works fine on WIN10 and so far have not yet come across a program that worked on WIN7 that doesn't work on 10. If anything it is the other way round.
I think it is a case of earlier versions of some programmes no longer being supported so that new versions have to be installed, often at a cost.

I don't use many Microsoft products outside Office, but a friend whose brother is licenced by Microsoft told me that after a while old programmes are no longer supported and have to be upgraded or replaced. This is not always free.

I used to use Movie Maker on W8/8.1 for video editing but I can't find a version that will work on W10.
I can't remember what the current programme is called but I can't get it to do certain things, and I don't like it.
It may cost me money therefore if I want to install a different programme that does what I want.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 11:48 AM

You could try some of these:

http://www.techradar.com/news/the-be...er-alternative

Personally my first stop for software is somewhere like Sourceforge or GitHub - all open source software. Tons of stuff out there.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I have not had to pay anything for Office 365, what on Earth are you talking about?
I believe that Office 365 is a fully subscription based app.

I guess that the latest levels of W10 are offering that as a trial - as they did with previous versions of Office.

Wouldn't be surprised if all Office products have annual licence renewal requirement soon - if not already.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top