Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 06:57 PM

New computer

Considering a new computer for work - narrowed down to two:

I have a choice of new computers -
Choice A - AMD A6-9220
Choice B - Intel Core i5-825ou

Then I was told that excel and word will cost me an extra £120 !!
The exact same thing is being sold by Amazon for £83 -

Any thoughts/advice please?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 08:40 PM

Re: New computer

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->

Choice A - AMD A6-9220
AFAIK, those are the names of the CPU / Microprocessor chips, not the actual computers .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 08:55 PM

Those prices would seem to indicate Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016 - Amazon is inevitably cheaper than Microsoft.

If you work in the academic/education field you may be able to get MS Office for free.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 09:42 PM

Choice A - AMD A6-9220

This might help:-

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php...6-9220&id=3072

On the subject of MS Office 2016, I'm running on a 10 quid version & it's fine. - but be careful
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 10:14 PM

I suspect you will go to one of the retail outlets who will try and sell you insurance on it at the same time. Don't know if I am allowed to mention a company I use so will send you a PM
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
AFAIK, those are the names of the CPU / Microprocessor chips, not the actual computers .....
Sorry - They are H P computers from PC World...........no one else seems to market them in the UK!!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

29-12-2017, 01:28 AM

Sorry - They are H P computers from PC World...........no one else seems to market them in the UK!!
Without the model numbers, any specific recommendation is impossible, but HP laptops have a high reliability rating (76%) with Which magazine.

HP Computers are also available from Amazon and Argos.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 01:37 AM

Hewlett-Packard is a good reliable brand as is Lenovo and Dell (avoid Toshiba for example)

AMD is just another chip manufacturer but you tend to get more bang for your buck from them. Try out both, that's the only test that matters.

Don't buy M$ Office unless you really need to use VBA because LibreOffice or OpenOffice do exactly the same job and they are free.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

29-12-2017, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Hewlett-Packard is a good reliable brand as is Lenovo and Dell (avoid Toshiba for example)

AMD is just another chip manufacturer but you tend to get more bang for your buck from them. Try out both, that's the only test that matters.

Don't buy M$ Office unless you really need to use VBA because LibreOffice or OpenOffice do exactly the same job and they are free.
I'm to buy something as powerful/fast as the one I have at the moment which is Intel i5. There's a very similar laptop but with AMD which is cheaper, and I'm told, slower.

I really do need a good spreadsheet - when the business software transfers over to the new laptop, that also needs a good spreadsheet and I think it specifies excel.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

29-12-2017, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Without the model numbers, any specific recommendation is impossible, but HP laptops have a high reliability rating (76%) with Which magazine.

HP Computers are also available from Amazon and Argos.
The only intel i5 laptop from Argos is £100 more which is why I'm inclined to get the one from PC World before their sale ends.........but there are two refurbished Dell computers on Amazon which is substantially cheaper and says "save hundreds of pounds of hardware and software" but doesn't say what software is installed! Just noticed the Dell computers are smaller - only 14" - I really want a 15.6"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top