Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 11:38 AM

Re: New computer

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I'm to buy something as powerful/fast as the one I have at the moment which is Intel i5. There's a very similar laptop but with AMD which is cheaper, and I'm told, slower.

I really do need a good spreadsheet - when the business software transfers over to the new laptop, that also needs a good spreadsheet and I think it specifies excel.
LibreOffice and OpenOffice load, run and create Excel Spreadsheets. Why waste your money? Try LibreOffice first if it is no good then buy M$Office you will have lost nothing.

Microsoft didn't invent spreadsheets Visicalc did (more or less)
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 01:51 PM

Thread lost all seriousness when OP mentioned PC World !

Go to LaptopsDirect
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 02:07 PM

I currently have a HP Intel 1.3 processor and am quite happy with it. I did not pay a lot £349 and bought it from PC World. If I were buying again I would get another Intel processor either 1.5 or 1.7 if I could afford it at the time. Never tried the AMD processors, but everyone I speak to tell me that the Intel processor is better. I am sure if you shop around you will be able to get a deal on the MS Office. I am not an expert, but I have never had any problems with the Intel processors. I don't want to go very fast or play the complicated games, but I do want reliability.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 05:40 PM

Have a look at this thread Lindy - quite a few of us opted for the £10 - £13 MS Office offered by Amazon. The price is just for the software `key`, the program itself will need to be downloaded from Microsoft.

Added to my last post. Can't edit it for some reason

Link to the thread discussed.

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=46242
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Have a look at this thread Lindy - quite a few of us opted for the £10 - £13 MS Office offered by Amazon. The price is just for the software `key`, the program itself will need to be downloaded from Microsoft.

Added to my last post. Can't edit it for some reason

Link to the thread discussed.

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=46242
Thanks for all the replies. I'm keeping my eyes on Microsoft Office 2016 - the price on Amazon is now at £68.......so still considering. A computer technie my client uses can remotely install Word and Excel but Powerpoint would also be useful.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-O...P0VCBA67QNQW2G
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 10:58 AM

Lindyloo

In your first post you didn't say if you wanted a laptop or desktop computer. I presumed you wanted a desktop type and worked from home.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 11:39 AM

It has to be a laptop RS - portable is more practical and I'm hoping to able to retire before a new laptop needs replacing.

Happy New Year to you.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top