Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 08:41 PM

Re: Incompetent practitioners

You should raise your concerns to the practice manager and make sure you make it clear that you are highlighting a risk. If this nurse is unable to carry out her healthcare duties she is putting patients at risk. For example it's a risk if someone is on blood thinners and ends up jabbed several times.

Follow up your discussion with the practice manager with a formal letter highlighting your concerns. If this is not resolved then follow up with a formal complaint to your local CCG. You can then escalate to NHS England. It's best to go through the proper channels because if something does go very wrong it will be recorded by the right organisation and they will be held accountable.

It's possible that the surgery brought her back because they cannot recruit. There is a shortage of nurses and I think GP staff are not paid so well. Many younger nurses don't seem to want to work at GPs because many I've met are also at retirement age.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 02:22 PM

Some people have good veins - others it is more difficult to obtain bloods. A phlebotomist takes blood day in day out and it would be expected that she is an "expert". Apart from the attitude issue of the nurse is there really a huge problem here?

Edited to add:
Anyway, I have just found this. Robots could soon be drawing your blood

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...t-phlebotomist
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Some people have good veins - others it is more difficult to obtain bloods.
When I went through loads of tests some years ago, my veins collapsed as soon as I went to have a blood test. In the end they used pediatric needles.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 03:07 PM

Oddly no one else has any problem raising a vein in me only this nurse, most can't stop me bleeding I have a blood clotting disorder. She can't get blood from my husband or either of our young men either. If we know it's her we try to rearrange to another nurse. I certainly don't take grace to her if I can help. This time no choice she was only one with appointments spare. Strange not many people want to have her do these things so it's not just me.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 09:27 PM

You definitely must complain,this nurse may do some harm to someone.When I went into A&E just before Christmasthe Nurse fitted a Canula in my arm,she did it first time without too much pain,then she told me it was the first one she had ever done,she always asked a colleague to do it for her,as she didnt feel competent herself
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 09:55 PM

I have a blood test once a month.

I've seen some bad ones as well.

Over the years I've developed a cunning plan:-

1) Never let a doctor do it.

2) When you experience a couple of good ones then you make appointments with them - by name - and only let them do it. Never just book a blood test - you'll always get the incompetent one.

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
You definitely must complain,this nurse may do some harm to someone.When I went into A&E just before Christmasthe Nurse fitted a Canula in my arm,she did it first time without too much pain,then she told me it was the first one she had ever done,she always asked a colleague to do it for her,as she didnt feel competent herself
A few years ago I was in A&E with severe dehydration from flu and they were training the guy who fitted one of these on my arm! So the guys were really enjoying it as a learning experience. When a nurse came by to check on me she tutted a bit and fixed it so it wasn't lop-sided.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top