Join for free
Granny J
Hampshire
Granny J is female 

06-01-2018, 07:05 PM

Nerve Damaged Feet

I have nerve damage to my feet, at last properly diagnosed lat year. When I saw a consultant about something else and mentioned to him how that nothing under foot seemed solid. But that my GP didn't think there was anything wrong as I still had a good pulse in my feet.
I then saw two consultants. The second one tested how much damage I had.
Although I find it very difficult to stand for any length of time, being on the move is much easier so I can still walk. I did a 5 mile walk this morning.
This is the one side affect from my very mild diabetes, for which I take no medication.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2018, 07:31 PM

Re: Nerve Damaged Feet

Sorry to hear that you have nerve damage but reading your post may push me into going to my gp about my feet that are quite painful at times espeially the ends of my middle toes and my feet tend to freeze up these days.
A few weeks back I got a painful instep the pain crept up to my right ankle and then onto my shin and then at the side of my knee. Trememdous stinging pain for days.
But then it dissapeared overnight after taking numerous types of pain killers and using tons of Voltarol.
I got up one morning and hey presto no pain.
I was dx with diabetes about 3 years ago I was given Metformin but I got stomach pains and stopped them against my diabetes nurses wish's and then they tried me on Saxagliptin which I have been taking each morning since with no side effects.
I have been wondering if my foot problem was because of the diabetes because I have heard that people have lost toes and feet even because of it. But because I have no cuts or open wounds on my feet my mind tells me it is not caused by diabetes just old age.

After all I am going on 25 but have had a hard life..
I may pop and see my gp if I get a few minutes when the weather warms up.
I suppose it will be a suprise for her to know that I am alive and kicking still.
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2018, 07:42 PM

I have a similar problem, Granny. Mild diabetes for the last 10-15 years, take a daily pill but no insulin. And as your physician found, mine also found a decent pulse in the feet which is good. I've developed a bit more arthritis in the last few years and combined with a leg injury from my time in the military, am now having difficulty walking for even short distances, and needing a cane.

They did caution me about not going barefoot or with only socks, as I'm not liable to feel a small penetration of the sole of my foot, leading to an infection which is serious for even mild diabetics.

Glad to hear that you can still do a considerable n bit of walking. That's good for you in many ways. I did well until my eighties and now it seems all downhill. Oh well - -at least I made it to my eighties!!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2018, 07:57 PM

Be warned you can deteriorate quickly as i have found to my cost. Get things checked preferably at your diabetes center.

A bit from my adventures.

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=38789

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=35260

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=49408
http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=44389
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2018, 08:21 PM

Hi Granny J, I also have nerve damage to my feet, if I walk around the House bare feet then they are ok, but when I put my socks and slippers on or shoes then all of my toes hurt me, then at night when resting in bed all my toes go numb, result Diabetes.
Granny J
Hampshire
Granny J is female 

06-01-2018, 09:49 PM

I am lucky, in that I have no pain at all. Apart from in one of my toes very occasionally.
I think my diabetes was diagnosed a bit late. I will of course let the diabetic nurse know how it is now, at my next clinic which I think will be in March or April. I only have to go twice a year. One to see the nurse, The other just for a blood test.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
I have been wondering if my foot problem was because of the diabetes because I have heard that people have lost toes and feet even because of it. But because I have no cuts or open wounds on my feet my mind tells me it is not caused by diabetes just old age.
Cuts and open wounds are irrelevant. It is quite possible, in fact almost inevitable, for people to suffer such nerve damage due to diabetes.

Google peripheral neuropathy, and see your GP!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top