Join for free
Page 2 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 07:35 PM

Re: NHS Malaise

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That's not why they don't have staff. They simply cannot recruit. They have tens of thousands of vacant posts. These posts are funded.

I agree, Annie.
It was saying this very point on the news the other night.
Staff are leaving in droves, and not being replaced enough.
Morale is low.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I don't blame them, they have been made to feel unwelcome.
Just like businesses they have no certainty so they are leaving to places which give them the security of a future career. it's only the unskilled or those who are established here (with British Citizenship) who are staying. Others are sticking it out in the hope that they will be able to stay long term. The other side of this is that it's no longer worth their while to work here with the weak pound.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree, Annie.
It was saying this very point on the news the other night.
Staff are leaving in droves, and not being replaced enough.
Morale is low.
Many many nurses retired in 2016. As did many GPs. My GP surgery is very good but the doctors have far more grey hairs than they used to and are far more stressed. Hopefully the reshuffle will make some positive changes.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 07:42 PM

Seeing as there are more nurses and doctors in the NHS than ever before I suggest that staffing is not the issue.

It must be something else.

Also, where is the evidence that anyone is leaving 'in droves'...... net immigration was up again last year so I doubt your statement is fact.......probably more lefty false news!!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 07:43 PM

Heavier workloads must have a negative affect on their health. Poor pay probably puts a lot of potential new recruits off.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

07-01-2018, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Seeing as there are more nurses and doctors in the NHS than ever before I suggest that staffing is not the issue.

It must be something else.

Also, where is the evidence that anyone is leaving 'in droves'...... net immigration was up again last year so I doubt your statement is fact.......probably more lefty false news!!

Could you provide the data on the figures of nurses and doctors? Because many have retired and although there were many vacancies in the past these were filled with agency workers. If the agency workers are drying up or the hospitals are not permitted to spend scarce money on agency then therein lies your problem. Hospitals have had trouble recruiting for years. The nurses trained in the UK are not lining up for jobs fast enough. They don't necessarily want to work in places that need them.

Do the net migration figures give detail by skillset? I haven't seen any that do. All I can see is more unskilled people coming here. There was an article in the news just today about the University exodus of European staff.

The fact is that the whole organisation was made extremely complex by the health and social care act and it's not getting any simpler.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

07-01-2018, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Heavier workloads must have a negative affect on their health. Poor pay probably puts a lot of potential new recruits off.
I don't think they are paid too badly. But it's not an easy job and if there aren't enough people to support a team that puts the others at risk of making mistakes.

They find it particularly difficult to find paramedic staff. The job is stressful and has unsocial hours, but the main problem is the PTSD and awful guilt they can suffer if someone dies in their care. They recruited many from the EU and I wonder how stretched they are now. According to the source below 1 in 3 positions are vacant.

I don't usually like using the Guardian as a source, but this is a good article :

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...e-warns-agency
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 08:22 PM

Ditto, can you imagine getting a patient to hospital then watching their deterioration in the ambulance. NHS figures for England obtained under freedom of information (FoI) laws show “serious incidents” resulting in the death of a patient more than doubled from 31 in 2012 to 72 in 2016, rising year on year.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
When I went for my scan yesterday (Sat.) I was surprised how busy the department was, it is just a small hospital. I was chatting to the nurse in charge who was dealing with my cannula. She was in her mid thirties, had children, but did not drive, yet had been seconded from the University Hospital twelve miles away, so needed hospital transport to get here, as did the other staff on duty. She told me that her shift was 8 a.m, to 8 p.m. and when they had finished their list here, then would be tranferred back to base to continue until the evening. They were working flat out dealing with routine stuff like mine.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 08:33 PM

From another thread...more relevant here

70th birthday of the NHS... isn't a non partisan cross-party approach to redesigning it is now the only way forward?

Matters are too serious now for there to be short term fixes, the whole creaky mechanism needs a cross-party overhaul.

Funding the NHS: Is it finally time for a new approach? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42582800

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Totally agree ruthio.

I am all in favour of a ring fenced tax, shown separately, a common practice in other countries.

It should also include adult social services with are really part of health care costs.

This would allow huge amounts of management costs to be eliminated altogether.

Page 2 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top