Join for free
Page 21 of 23 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 09:10 PM

Re: NHS Malaise

Encouraging.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...heir-big-ideas
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 10:54 PM

"We [O’Sullivan wrote a paper with former health minister Lord Warner in 2014] are suggesting there would be a £10 a month charge [for using the NHS] but there would be exemptions, you wouldn’t lose access to your GP if you couldn’t afford it. You might say why charge? The first reason is it’s expensive to coach well and the other thing is it would make people feel ‘I am entitled to go to the GP even though I’m healthy’.

I really don't understand why they don't just take £10 a month off people in additional national insurance. Obviously those who aren't working can't afford it so just make it a separate charge and pretend it's for the NHS.... in the meantime if they charge this then some bright spark will take it away from the NHS fund with the other hand. That's the way the government usually works.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 01:17 PM

Incredible.

NHS medical blunders dating back more than two decades are still costing millions of pounds a year in compensation, it has emerged.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42442343

In complicated surgery you can accept the risk something may go wrong but error in routine monitoring is intolerable.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
"We [O’Sullivan wrote a paper with former health minister Lord Warner in 2014] are suggesting there would be a £10 a month charge [for using the NHS] but there would be exemptions, you wouldn’t lose access to your GP if you couldn’t afford it. You might say why charge? The first reason is it’s expensive to coach well and the other thing is it would make people feel ‘I am entitled to go to the GP even though I’m healthy’.

I really don't understand why they don't just take £10 a month off people in additional national insurance. Obviously those who aren't working can't afford it so just make it a separate charge and pretend it's for the NHS.... in the meantime if they charge this then some bright spark will take it away from the NHS fund with the other hand. That's the way the government usually works.
Many of us don't earn enough to pay NI Annie but would be happy and able to pay £10 a month. Some couldn't obviously so they need protecting but don't stop the rest of us contributing a bit.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 02:57 PM

Hi

Everyone should pay for access to the NHS, it is not free.

It should be the same rate for everyone.

It was an absolute nonsense that NI Contributions were capped when I was working.

I could have easily have afforded more.

I also think that is wrong that Pensioners do not not pay NI for the NHS.

A neighbour couple brag that they have a combined Income of £140k a year from their pensions, they are never away from the Doctors.

I also think that there should be a fee for drunks treated, doubled if they have been abusive.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 04:32 PM

Before reinventing the wheel we should be asking why despite the total fund being 3 times what it was before Blair's labour took over there is not enough to pay for everything. Ageing population and population growth aside. Is it the change in technology or higher costs of drugs? Or is it the cost of PFI? It seems that the detail escapes most analyses.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

20-01-2018, 04:45 PM

PFI has been a "fraud on the people". Royal Bank of Scotland chairman Howard Davies .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 04:52 PM

Before reinventing the wheel we should be asking why despite the total fund being 3 times what it was before Blair's labour took over there is not enough to pay for everything. Ageing population and population growth aside. Is it the change in technology or higher costs of drugs? Or is it the cost of PFI? It seems that the detail escapes most analyses.
I think we've been telling in is thread and others what's wrong Annie, trouble is its shouted down each time from what I see. You ask the question but haven't listened to the answers.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

20-01-2018, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think we've been telling in is thread and others what's wrong Annie, trouble is its shouted down each time from what I see. You ask the question but haven't listened to the answers.
This is a different question to what's been discussed though Julie.

Blair looked at the nhs and said he would bring our nhs spend in line with the proportion of gdp spent by other countries. We are still under despite the investment. Taxes didn't rise. It was funded with growth and borrowing. It has gone from 40bn to 120bn. To keep funding it as it stands we need a constantly growing economy regardless of whether individual tax contributions increase.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 06:04 PM

This is a different question to what's been discussed though Julie.

Blair looked at the nhs and said he would bring our nhs spend in line with the proportion of gdp spent by other countries. We are still under despite the investment. Taxes didn't rise. It was funded with growth and borrowing. It has gone from 40bn to 120bn. To keep funding it as it stands we need a constantly growing economy regardless of whether individual tax contributions increase.
Of course we need a growing economy but the quitters have made sure it won't happen.

Page 21 of 23 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 23 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top