Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 09:13 PM

Farage says Barnier is offering NOTHING to UK

Evening all. Just been reading the following: Looks like stormy waters ahead......

Nigel Farage met with Michael Barnier on Monday after the former Ukip leader demanded he discuss key Brexit issues with the EU official.

Appearing on BBC Daily Politics, Mr Farage said: "The UK has already given too much money to Brussels in order to get on to the second stage of trade talks and it is time for Michael Barnier to "give something".
The British Government has given a hell of a lot already. It's now time for Barnier to give something. He wasn't in that mood this morning".

Nigel Farage said Michael Barnier only wants the import and export of goods to be included in a final Brexit deal. He said: "They sell us 80 billion euros worth of chocolate, cars and wine every year more than we sell them. "But when I mentioned that services and financial services have been part of this package, I saw his whole body language change. He literally stiffened up and said: "No, that simply can't be".

The former Ukip leader hit back and said Britain should not "waste years" attempting to get a full trade deal and should walk away.

He said: "If we are going to enter a period of negotiations where, given the amount we've conceded in phase one, if he is not prepared to make some concessions on that then I think the big change in the debate will come in 2018.
"Big voices" in business will demand Brexit does not "waste years and years" and will insist Britain falls under WTO rules.

During the meeting, Mr Barnier said a "no deal" Brexit will have "bad consequences" for both Britain and the European Union
Mr Farage said in response that a "no deal" Brexit would hurt Europe far more than Britain. He said: "Not only do they sell us more goods than we sell them but actually the truth of it is our financial services sector, we are the investment bankers for the rest of Europe.

Hmmm, Barnier playing hardball from the start. I do hope Theresa grows a pair in phase two and fights our corner as it should be. No more concessions, get in there and fight our corner as it should be fought. If I was being truthful, I truly wish we had a Brexit Hardliner in there instead of TM.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 09:29 PM

Re: Farage says Barnier is offering NOTHING to UK

not what i did post and removed. yes we need someone with gut to say no no no for a change
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 10:05 PM

Listening to his lbc show it seems barnier has no idea why uk has voted to leave. If they can't understand that I'm not sure why we are wasting time negotiating we should have just left said wto rules and had done with it months ago.
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Listening to his lbc show it seems barnier has no idea why uk has voted to leave. If they can't understand that I'm not sure why we are wasting time negotiating we should have just left said wto rules and had done with it months ago.
The UK didn't vote to leave, only the Brexiters. And Barnier is not alone, I don't know why they voted to leave either.

A long transition period to sort out all the things the Brexiters haven't planned for would probably be the least painful way and they aren't going to allow the UK to have their cake and eat it, whatever the Brexiters promised.

But what the hell, when the Brexiter's realise they're not going to get their way, they're bound to want to stomp off in a huff and go straight for WTO and financial suicide.

No good options available.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 10:34 PM

If you haven't heard what brexiteers are says then listen closer because we've said many many times why we want out.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 12:22 AM

Don't bother Julie.

There are non so deaf as those who don't want to hear.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 01:00 AM

I have been saying this for years (well, a long time now): the EU are not going to give us anything.

As time goes by, it is becoming increasingly clear.

We must walk away now and never mind a transitional period.

We are going to end up making our own way in the world anyway (as we have done for centuries), so let's grasp the nettle.

I'm not sure what Barmier's personal motivation is for this, although I have my suspicions. Perhaps it's the innate French jealousy of our country. For example, they are obliged to use English in many international situations, such as air traffic control. That must grate, especially as they would dearly like to have French as THE international language!
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
If you haven't heard what brexiteers are says then listen closer because we've said many many times why we want out.
Oh I hear what they say, there seem to be as many weird reasons as there are Brexiters. But none of them seem logical or to make any sense so I expect that’s what’s baffled me and Barnier.
I think that voting Brexit is a gut reaction based on a collection of illogical prejudices and there’s no point in expecting any more of them.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 08:55 AM

Hi

Barnier is not setting the rules, these are set by the EU Heads of States.

Services are not covered by WTO Rules and would not be part of any Trade Deal we get with anyone other than the EU.

The EU are not going to be giving the UK a deal on Services, that was never an option.

The last big 3 trade Deals the EU have done, Canada, Japan and South Korea, all excluded services and that was mainly down to the UK, we wanted to protect our service industry which accounts for 80% of our economy.

This has been hugely successful for the UK, as International Banks, trading houses and insurers set up here in the UK to get access to the EU.

We have said no Single Market so it is the UK which has ruled ourselves out

A Tariff Free Trade Deal with the EU, no services, would still be better for the UK financially than WTO Rules.

It is after all, the type of Trade Deal we will be negotiating with the rest of the World when we leave.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

09-01-2018, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have been saying this for years (well, a long time now): the EU are not going to give us anything.

As time goes by, it is becoming increasingly clear.

We must walk away now and never mind a transitional period.

We are going to end up making our own way in the world anyway (as we have done for centuries), so let's grasp the nettle.

I'm not sure what Barmier's personal motivation is for this, although I have my suspicions. Perhaps it's the innate French jealousy of our country. For example, they are obliged to use English in many international situations, such as air traffic control. That must grate, especially as they would dearly like to have French as THE international language!
From listening to Nigel and various other interviews the top brass at Eu have given my take on that is a federal Europe run from the Eu base, no elections just appointments by the top, all Eu countries run the same, no seperate cultures, languages or political systems.

To me that sounds like a dictatorship but if anyone can explain it as anything else I'm listening.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top