Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 12:08 PM

Plastic waste, how do we get rid of it?

Should we go back to glass bottles? Yes I think so.

Why can't we create industries here in the UK to reuse plastic waste? We need more industries. I saw some being made into garden furniture and fencing etc. I think it might have been in China.

I don't think making supermarkets have plastic - free aisles will make difference. They will just point to the tinned food and say, " There ya go!"

Too much packaging is used these days, you don't need yoghurts in pots and in a box etc.

Any ideas?
What extra packaging annoys you?

Do you re-use plastic items?
I keep some pots for paint or plant pots and interesting shaped containers etc. and acetate for craft stuff, bubble wrap usually too and save milk bottle tops for charity.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 12:14 PM

Re: Plastic waste, how do we get rid of it?

I remember the days when bottles had a deposit on them,as kids we would collect them and take them back to the shops to get the deposit back,boosted the pocket money,as also newspapers and metal,took to scrap yard for money,,
as you say,why cant the reuse the plastic in this country
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 12:45 PM

Hi TessA

Nice to see you back.

I think the government should really push manufacturers for new materials which are recyclable or at least rot down.

Polystyrene is something that always annoys me. It's great for packaging but nothing can be done with it afterwards and there is so much of it.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 12:59 PM

I' ve just been looking around my lounge.
There is an unbelievable amount of plastic in it that I've never noticed before! It's scary!
My craft storage drawers are plastic and contain loads of plastic items and materials, my wool storage container next to my chair is plastic, the tv remote, the tv, trunking on the wall, my laptop and printer...

Gawd!

Yes, LD, perhaps using non-recyclable plastic by manufacturers should be stopped and polystyrene is horrible, much too much of it in packaging
What did we use before? Cotton or wood fibre waste? I can't remember.

In Africa carrier bags were cut into strips and crocheted or plaited to make rugs and other stuff.
I saw a video online of African folk making shoes out of tyres and another using discarded flip flops into ornaments. More rubber than plastic but good ideas!

With all our graduates and scientific institutes perhaps some should be focusing on plastic re-use.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 01:00 PM

Returnable bottles should be re-introduced, glass or plastic. Of course there is a problem for smaller shops now and that would be storage of the things, particularly if the local shop ended up receiving all the supermarket bottles !
There has been a petition on that issue, collected masses amount of support. Green Peace particularly, are heavily involved.

Probably the better idea would be to have specific drop off places for them , when collections could be done on a daily basis. (Just a thought)

All this plastic is going to be a massive problem, with more pollution if we don't get a handle on it soon and even without China being the plastic dustbin of the world. I don't blame them tbh.
It's always been the case , if someone else takes responsibility, ..problem solved !

Far too much of it now and often too difficult to open. Everything seems to be in one form of plastic or another.
We used to have waxed covered paper straws.. why can't that be possible again. Get the bees working harder !

(No doubt someone will bounce and say, we make it with spermaceti now (from the whales head.) so not such a good idea)

Maybe the answer is to abolish all the unnecessary items and packaging, sell fresher produce that lasts longer, and instead of this peculiar habit of wandering around with fast food and a coffee cup in your hand, enforce that the office workers have coffee breaks and meal times , instead of working through them. and eating at their desks (which is the answer to increase productivity with fewer staff.) Where did the Unions disappear to on that score ?

Just moved on a few pages there...sorry. Anyway , it's very much part of the 'throw away' society, and maybe black bin bags could be the first to go for every household in the country ! Wrap our rubbish in old newspapers.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 01:37 PM

How come we get soft drinks in cans such as Coke, Fanta etc, and also beer in cans and glass bottles as well?
Why doesn't bottled water come in cans too?

Or perhaps we can use the milk-type cartons?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Should we go back to glass bottles? Yes I think so.

Why can't we create industries here in the UK to reuse plastic waste? We need more industries. I saw some being made into garden furniture and fencing etc. I think it might have been in China.

I don't think making supermarkets have plastic - free aisles will make difference. They will just point to the tinned food and say, " There ya go!"

Too much packaging is used these days, you don't need yoghurts in pots and in a box etc.

Any ideas?
What extra packaging annoys you?

Do you re-use plastic items?
I keep some pots for paint or plant pots and interesting shaped containers etc. and acetate for craft stuff, bubble wrap usually too and save milk bottle tops for charity.
Instead of the rolls of plastic bags in the fruit and veg aisle why not brown paper bags like we used to have?
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by rehab44 ->
instead of the rolls of plastic bags in the fruit and veg aisle why not brown paper bags like we used to have?
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 02:03 PM

OK we have virtually nothing in glass bottles, nearly all plastic and there is a charge of approx 15p on liter bottles 10p on others and cans. There are recycle points at all large grocery stores, you save your bottles etc until you have a bin bag full, take them to the recycle machine, feed them in on at a time, press the green button and you get a ticket for the amount to spend at the store, if you dont want that press the red one and the amount then goes to the Red Cross. I think our biggest problem in the Towns are Mc. Donalds and KTFC packaging , which does sometimes get thrown on the floor
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 02:20 PM

We will only get rid of plastic bags when paper bags become cheaper for the stores to use.

One thing that really bothers me is Costco and the free samples each with a mini fork or spoon and plastic containers. It is amazing how the trash bins fill up with all those little bits. Why not a paper container and a toothpick .

Some stores here in Canada will take a few cents off if you use your own carry bags but those stores are few and far between.

Norway mentioned McDonalds, over here they do have a divided trash bin, one side for trash, one side for paper. Seldom used as even there people will not take the seconds to separate.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top