Join for free
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 01:06 AM

Dog Flu

I just received an email from a friend in Canada. Amongst other things she tells me that two dogs brought into Canada from South Korea, via USA have been found to have dog flu.

I can't say that I have ever heard of dogs getting flu, but evidently it's very contagious.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/can...know-1.3753234
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 01:19 AM

Re: Dog Flu

I've never heard of it either Clumsy.
I wonder if it's a 'new' form of Parvo?

I will ask my vet about this next time I go, he will know.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

When my friend told me about it I decided to look it up. the link above refers to the two dogs in Canada, but there are many links re this dog flu. I doubt it's Parvo, but it's worth you asking anyway. It's always worth knowing about these things I think, at least it makes you aware of what to look out for.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 01:41 AM

I will do some homework on it tomorrow, clumsy - and thank you for the warning.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

14-01-2018, 01:47 AM

I will do some homework on it tomorrow, clumsy - and thank you for the warning.
Welcome. I had never heard of it until tonight either.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 10:18 AM

Mups its nothing like Parvo.

Canine flu has been around for a number of years . There are a couple of strains one believed to be a mutation of equine flu the other a mutation of avian flu possibly originating from the caged birds in china (the source we fear for a human flu mutation).

Dogs usually recover. It isn't any big concern here, Alabama Rot is far more of a worry with new cases appearing this year on Cannock Chase and in Leicestershire.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-01-2018, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mups its nothing like Parvo.

There are a couple of strains one believed to be a mutation of equine flu the other a mutation of avian flu possibly originating from the caged birds in china (the source we fear for a human flu mutation).

Dogs usually recover. It isn't any big concern here, Alabama Rot is far more of a worry with new cases appearing this year on Cannock Chase and in Leicestershire.

Thanks Meg. I'd best learn a bit more about this.

I haven't heard any cases of the Alabama Rot recently, but yes, you are right, that is one to worry about.
I seem to recall a map somewhere, showing you the areas affected by this. Was it by the Animal Health Trust? I can't remember.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 10:46 AM

Thanks Meg. I'd best learn a bit more about this.

I haven't heard any cases of the Alabama Rot recently, but yes, you are right, that is one to worry about.
I seem to recall a map somewhere, showing you the areas affected by this. Was it by the Animal Health Trust? I can't remember.
There are a number of maps Mups including on which is interactive. I am not sure how up to date any of them are.
http://www.vets4pets.com/stop-alabama-rot/
AR is still comparatively rare as diseases go but there has been one case at my vets surgery and 6 locally , this is one reason why I wash Chloe's feet when we have been out in the fields.

I think the threat from canine flu comes from those taking dogs from rescue centers in the east. It is not endemic among dogs here.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-01-2018, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the link Meg.
I will keep an eye on that.
In fact next time I go, I think I will ask my vet if they've had any cases locally.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 01:15 PM

Having once had to nurse two cats through cat flu I find the idea of dog flu very scary, we nearly lost our beautiful pair to cat flu in the 80s.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top