Join for free
Page 10 of 11 « First < 8 9 10 11 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 12:51 PM

Re: Damn French (Contributing to border security)

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
z

Way I see it, it was a world war to protect everyone from domination from several threats. I've always wondered why we a tiny island ended up losing so much when others made so much out of that.

Now even now we are still it feels fighting domination without much help at all. Just accusations of xenophobia etc

We play by the rules no one else does so everything seems to cost us so much more.

We pay a heck of a lot into various world clubs like Nato etc pay up to protect us and everyone else. Not many pay every penny they owe for that.
Hi

Too true Julie.

Germany has a huge budget surplus, yet does not pay it's agreed share.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Again you're rewriting history - I never claimed America won the war - there were many nations involved including Russia, China, and many (ex) colonies. I said America bailed the UK out with massive aid, troops and equipment. Comprehension is obviously not your strong point.

If you find it difficult to keep to the topic, and hate being proved wrong, then please refrain from insulting other members of this Forum.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 03:27 PM

Look I do understand your feelings and I empathise. Because I live on an uncrowded continent with one of the highest and most pleasent living standards on the planet, a longer life expectancy, where residential dwellings have even more space than the Americans and pollution is minimal it is easy for me to forget that you live on an overcrowded, cold little island, with the smallest residential dwellings even by European standards, a high crime rate and national debt exceeding GDP.
Oh come on! Britain was surprised when the USA stopped GIVING Britain armaments and supplies because the war in Europe was over? And then had the audacity to give the UK very favourable loans to enable them to pay for the stuff supplied after the war was over?

What planet do you live on? everybody in the UK on this board has been whinging about foreign aid but after five years of being given $30billion of aid (how many hundreds of billions is that the equivalent of today) you actually think Britain should have continued to receive it for nothing when Europe was in ruins?
You really don't know what you're blathering on about do you. I'm a bit embarrassed for you.

I'm stumped as to where to start to correct such a great wad of baloney, life is too short to complete such a mammoth project ... the chest thumping about how great Australia is I assume you filched from a tourist site.

Give a cuddly kiss from me to a downtrodden Aborigine next time you see one.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by morticia ->
you really don't know what you're blathering on about do you. I'm a bit embarrassed for you.

I'm stumped as to where to start to correct such a great wad of baloney, life is too short to complete such a mammoth project ... The chest thumping about how great australia is i assume you filched from a tourist site.

Give a cuddly kiss from me to a downtrodden aborigine next time you see one.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 04:32 PM

Oh come on! Britain was surprised when the USA stopped GIVING Britain armaments and supplies .......
Fact: The USA had an economic boom prior to their own entry into WW2 by supplying the combatants with the much needed wherewithal, including Nazi Germany.
It's common knowledge this money making juggernaut called WW2 ended their Great Depression and turned their economy around.
Fact: When ability to pay is outstripped by need for supply extended credit is agreed. Simple business practice. The UK made the final payment to the US in 2006. A package that was needed to help refinance the rebuilding of our post war country.
Who'd have thought we won.

I might add it's a bit beside the point reducing the war to terms of money and quibbling over debt. You can't put a value on all the soldiers lives that were lost.

Hang on ... I've thought of a simple comparison regarding the Lend-Lease agreements.
In the UK if we go to a car dealership and it's an American car we pay the asking price .. we probably wrote it off on a battlefield afterwards but still pay the asking price.
In Australia you go to a car dealership and get one at a reduced price ... Why reduced? Because no one wants to pay to ship it back home.
So even if it's hardly been used, hasn't used much mileage, has only had one careful owner and hasn't a scratch on it, it's reduced to scrap value to keep the book work straight.
Which is why Australia didn't get saddled with much financial liability after the war.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 05:07 PM

Look I do understand your feelings and I empathise. Because I live on an uncrowded continent with one of the highest and most pleasent living standards on the planet, a longer life expectancy, where residential dwellings have even more space than the Americans and pollution is minimal it is easy for me to forget that you live on an overcrowded, cold little island, with the smallest residential dwellings even by European standards, a high crime rate and national debt exceeding GDP.
I do agree with you that ego and earthquakes are something you are unlikely to ever experience in your daily grind.

Just to keep you informed - we do get earthquakes, perhaps you forgot the Newcastle quake of 1989 which killed 13 people and injured 160?
So you do understand why we can't support the rest of the world after all.

If Oz is so great (And I agree, it is) you should be taking in more refugees and paying more in Aid rather than leaving it to poor old broken Britain.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
An uncrowned continent, yet you still have concentration camps for the aboriginal peoples?

https://www.welcometocountry.org/aus...iginal-people/

And illegal off shore detention centres for asylum seekers

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...asylum-seekers

No wonder you have lots of space,
We are not an uncrowned continent at all, we have our own monarch; Queen Elizabeth, Queen of Australia. Fortunately she doesn't live here so she doesn't actually cost us anything thing - some other mugs pay for her.

As for the rest, you don't want to belief everything you read on the internet - the first is by a lobby group while the second is completely out of date.

So there you go; once again you are already better informed.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 10:15 PM

I dud mean an uncrowded continent, damn spell checker
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
So you do understand why we can't support the rest of the world after all.

If Oz is so great (And I agree, it is) you should be taking in more refugees and paying more in Aid rather than leaving it to poor old broken Britain.
I can't disagree with that except that we don't leave it to Britain. Let's face Britain really doesn't figure in our news very much whereas countries like Indonesia, Korea, Japan and China do.

I have a interest in the country because I was born there but unless Boris says something really stupid, there is a terrorist attack or your weather is really bad Britain rarely gets a mention.

Today's Sydney Morning Herald has stories about Trump, Tennis, Serbia and a dozen of other international stories the only mention of Britain is under the minor heading:

"Prince William, balding middle-aged man, has shaved his head "

Which I think adequately demonstrates the level of interest probably only because he is third in line to be King of Australia.

This is not a slight on Britain but I doubt Australia ever features much in European news (which is just the way we like it)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 11:33 PM

I can't disagree with that except that we don't leave it to Britain. Let's face Britain really doesn't figure in our news very much whereas countries like Indonesia, Korea, Japan and China do.

I have a interest in the country because I was born there but unless Boris says something really stupid, there is a terrorist attack or your weather is really bad Britain rarely gets a mention.

Today's Sydney Morning Herald has stories about Trump, Tennis, Serbia and a dozen of other international stories the only mention of Britain is under the minor heading:

"Prince William, balding middle-aged man, has shaved his head "

Which I think adequately demonstrates the level of interest probably only because he is third in line to be King of Australia.

This is not a slight on Britain but I doubt Australia ever features much in European news (which is just the way we like it)
That's true, we only see Australia on 'Wanted down under' which is a programme about families wishing to emigrate to Australia (nothing to do with the police )

Page 10 of 11 « First < 8 9 10 11 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top