Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 04:58 PM

Re: Phones ,any advice

Originally Posted by Val J ->
We have BT cordless phones which are great apart from one thing. There is no loudspeaker so unless you don’t mind hanging onto the phone for ages while you get to the appropriate person, make sure it has a loudspeaker facility! I’m surprised phones are made without these days!
the Panasonic ones have volume control so you can turn up the sound
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 11:00 PM

Re: Phones ,any advice

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
When I worked for BT when we did home and business properties, the bulk of our work was on the home side. I would have been out of work now with no cables to run. Luckily I went into installing switchboards.

Little story about that
We were asked by a customer to provide 15 telephone sockets in this huge house. it required several engineers to carry out this work in a day So the lady of the house was asked if she wanted the cables run inside or outside. She wanted them run inside. So all day we were cabling and got the job done in the day booked.

Hubby came home that evening and went up the wall, he wanted the cables run outside the house. So he rang our office and asked who told us to run the cables inside. Our inspector said his wife did,so that is what his engineers did.

If he wanted then rerouted outside he would have to pay for a new installation and also the recovery of what was done.
Serious lack of communication between hubby and wife. I would love to have been a fly on the wall, especially when he found out here was a maximum of 4 phones allowed as the ringing circuit couldn't handle more without a booster fitted in the house.

Prior to that the circuits were wired differently and the phones were in a fixed position so one could have up to 6 phones on a line
A similar situation with me around fifteen years ago except in my case it was a rewire of the home they were buying in the next village to mine. They lived `darn sarf` somewhere and wanted to retire to Yorkshire as they have some family up here.

Anyway, hubby came up and we agreed on what was going where as regards switches and sockets and a price agreed. Gave me a spare key so I could crack on with the job. About four days into the work, the Mrs trails up to see how the job is progressing and plays merry hell. She had me re-locating sockets and some of the switches which I did, then blow me, hubby turns back up on the scene a few days later with wife in tow and they set to arguing what should go where. They ended up compromising by getting me to put the sockets mid-way between his choice and hers - this with all the cables installed again. I ended rewiring that place three times in the space of a fortnight. Naturally I charged them a bit more than the quoted price.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top