Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 05:22 AM

Re: Australia Day (right or wrong?)

It could well be that becoming a republic will provide the answer.

Presumably that will occur within the next decade, let's hope it happens in the second half of the year and that they can find an acceptable excuse for retaining the Queen's Birthday public holiday (Just move the apostrophe perhaps?)
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It could well be that becoming a republic will provide the answer.

Presumably that will occur within the next decade, let's hope it happens in the second half of the year and that they can find an acceptable excuse for retaining the Queen's Birthday public holiday (Just move the apostrophe perhaps?)

Don't they have lots of 'Queens' in Sydney???
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Don't they have lots of 'Queens' in Sydney???
Joe, me old pal, me old beauty.

Sounds like you almost got my joke. Well done.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
While I understand your feeling of guilt over your invasion it was a long time ago here is a different view by an Alice Springs (Aboriginal) councillor Jacinta Price.

https://www.facebook.com/abcthedrum/...8312657242732/
I love that we invaded Australia and conquered it.

At that time it was a fantastic achievement by Britain and if we hadn't done it some other equally belligerent nation would have......And there were many of those, we were simply the best at it, hence why we ruled 25% of the world and why the sun never set on the British Empire

Now, for us over here that is all ancient history. But we will not be denied our history by the PC brigade that wish to rewrite it.

The way the Aborigines were treated was terrible by 2018 standards. At the time it was the way things were done.
Invading Empires over the millenia have destroyed te host cultures.
The Romans, Persians, Ottomans, Mongols, Islamic Empires etc all guilty of mass slaughter, ethnic cleansing and more.
The Brits were novices by comparison and I don't think we have acted like that for a wee while now so I think we can consign our actions of the last centuries to the annals of History.

As for Australia becoming a republic......Yawn!!! Aren't they already?....No?

Well there's a thing!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top