Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 08:48 AM

New computer issues

Issue one: I bought a copy of Libra Office on DVD but the new DVD drive didn't appear to recognise it. The DVD drive plays music from CD's and has recognised my Epson printer software. The Libra Office DVD was fine when put into the DVD drive of my old computer.........so I copied the files onto a USB and loaded into the new computer. Question is - the DVD supplier wants to know if I should return the DVD or not - I'm sure which is at fault - the DVD or the DVD Drive.

Issue two: I installed the Epson Printer drivers direct from the Epson website. Now when I want to print on both sides, it prints two separates sheets of paper - one facing the right way, the other upsidedown. (not sure how else to explain this - but "both sides" on the old computer means it pauses after printing on one side so the paper can be reinserted to print on the back of the page.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 10:42 AM

Re: New computer issues

looks like the Libra office disc has protection on it to stop it being copied., which is what you have tried to do by putting it on a memory stick

Does the DVD have a serial number? if so try downloading it from the net then see if you can add the serial number, sometimes that is asked for on the download

The other thing that it may be that only allows it to be used on one computer at a time. Did you just discard the old computer without removing that program first? there could well have been something saying "Sign out or uninstall" which then releases it so it can be transferred to another computer.
if you havn't done this you may have to contact the program makers to get that serial number released

printer problem

look up printing preferences on your download and on there is page layout and a box asking for 2 side printing auto /on/off

The page to look for is something like this

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Issue one: I bought a copy of Libra Office on DVD but the new DVD drive didn't appear to recognise it. The DVD drive plays music from CD's and has recognised my Epson printer software. The Libra Office DVD was fine when put into the DVD drive of my old computer.........so I copied the files onto a USB and loaded into the new computer. Question is - the DVD supplier wants to know if I should return the DVD or not - I'm sure which is at fault - the DVD or the DVD Drive.
Bought Libre Office? Why didn't you just download it? It's free

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Bought Libre Office? Why didn't you just download it? It's free

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/
Must admit I wondered about that, if you want to buy anything buy an old copy of Microsoft Office from Ebay, that is what I have done. It does not have all the bells and whistles of Office 365 but I find it a damned sight easier to use.
As regards your printer problem. I can't help I'm afraid. Printers do seem to be a nightmare and I have only ever solved problems by trial and error.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 11:07 AM

Apologies for the lack of response - other issues to deal with!

Libre Office - I had no idea you could download foc or buy on ebay.

I'm going to be spending time this afternoon learning about computers and will look at the printer issue then.

I've just been reading Howtogeek - Basic Computer security - and comparing their suggestions with the printouts from Balarc Advisor. Howtogeek suggest using Windows Defender and Malwarebytes, but the new computer only has McAfee VirusScan - so I'm guessing that's good enough but should also install Malwarebytes.

Thanks for all the help - I can't believe how technical I'm getting here!!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 12:10 PM

I seriously wouldn't activate McAfee, it slows down PCs

Definitely use defender, it's built into Windows, should be under security settings ( I've not used Windows for a while so not sure where it is now) there won't be an icon for it and download malewarebytes, it's free
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 12:32 PM

Apologies for the lack of response - other issues to deal with!

I've just been reading Howtogeek - Basic Computer security - and comparing their suggestions with the printouts from Balarc Advisor. Howtogeek suggest using Windows Defender and Malwarebytes, but the new computer only has McAfee VirusScan - so I'm guessing that's good enough but should also install Malwarebytes.

Thanks for all the help - I can't believe how technical I'm getting here!!
1) New Computers often have apps which are not full apps, as it were, and only do the thing propely if you pay money for the sales package.
Note: Defender comes with Windows and is reputed to be among the best in the market at this time.
MalwareBytes covers a slightly different type of "Malicious Software problem" and I would recommend that you also download the free version and run that fairly frequently.

2) The double sided printing issue is one of the the problems down to how the seller describes the feature.
For example, "double side printing" & "Printing on two sides" sounds the same - but it isn't! The word "Automatic" should be in there somewhere!
You need to look closely at the manual/description to see if it actually means Automatic flipping of the paper during printing.
If you tell us the model number of printer we can look this up if you wish.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

24-01-2018, 01:35 PM

Thanks for responding - I'm going to be spending this afternoon sorting out these computers....

After advice from this forum, I used Belarc Advisor on both computers. The reports which I printed out has a heading "Virus Protection". On the old computer is clearly shows Windows Defender. On the new computer - windows 10 - it shows McAfee VirusSca - and says: "Virus Definitions Version up to date; Realtime File Scanning on".
No mention of Windows Defender anywhere!!

Would it matter if I download defender as well as having McAfee?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 01:59 PM

Thanks for responding - I'm going to be spending this afternoon sorting out these computers....

After advice from this forum, I used Belarc Advisor on both computers. The reports which I printed out has a heading "Virus Protection". On the old computer is clearly shows Windows Defender. On the new computer - windows 10 - it shows McAfee VirusSca - and says: "Virus Definitions Version up to date; Realtime File Scanning on".
No mention of Windows Defender anywhere!!

Would it matter if I download defender as well as having McAfee?
You are normally advised to have only one virus protection program active at any time.

I think that you will find that Defender is there, in W10 but is switched off, during installation, because another Antivirus program was detected.
You can prove this by going into McAfee settings and turn it off. You could then find Defender, in settings, and switch that on there.

In saying this. if your copy of McAfee is a full, all singing and all dancing version, you might chose to stay with it as is.

Bearing in mind that renewing it after the contract year might need paying for.

p.s. Malwarebytes is not averse to having a full Antivirus app running alongside - they play different roles.

p.p.s If you want to find Defender, in W10, go to settings, Updates & Security and you should see it there.
Click on Windows Defender and it will offer to be put back on.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

24-01-2018, 02:34 PM

Hi again - first thing I saw when I turned on the new computer was "Windows Defender Security Centre - your device is being protected" last scan 21/1/18. No idea why this didn't show up the Balarc Advisor Computer Profile....... I then went into settings, updates & security and looked for McAfee - which wasn't found!!

The notice with W Defender also says:
1. Virus and Threat Protection - Status unavailable, open McAfee Virus Scan.
2. Firewall and Network Protection - status unavailable, open McAfee Firewall for information.
On both those there are links to the relevant McAfee

No idea why W Defender didn't show up the Balarc Advisor Computer Profile....... I then went into settings, updates & security and looked for McAfee - which wasn't found!! - perhaps it doesn't show up unless activated.

I was going to look at Firewall information this pm, but I don't understand why it says your device is being protected - last scan 21/1/18, then Virus and Threat Protection status unavailable.......???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top