Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 05:24 PM

Ex-services personnel, veterans etc?

Have any of you wonderful members served in the armed Forces - Army, Navy, RAF or equivalent? Perhaps you are not in the UK and were a member of a different armed force abroad? I also include those personnel who didn't enlist but worked as civilians as well, or as volunteers such as the WRVS or worked in the NAAFI. They all have an important part to play.

What rank did you achieve, how long were you signed up for, and did you visit any interesting territories or overseas bases with your postings?

I served in the Royal Air Force between 1988-2000, leaving after 12 years.
I was at RAF Northolt, Brampton and Waddington and did tours and detachments overseas to Belize (twice) and Italy.

Be nice to hear some stories
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 05:53 PM

Re: Ex-services personnel, veterans etc?

Nope just missed national service by about a couple of years
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 06:10 PM

I was a QARANC nurse, served eighteen months in the military hospital in Aldershot. I'm not going to go into why I didn't complete my training. I enjoyed Army life but never got promoted or travelled anywhere, some of my intake went to Germany. I still keep in touch with a few friends from that time but it's a distant memory now.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 06:37 PM

joined army(RCT) in mid 60s,stationed Germany,Dortmond,Duisburg,,,reached full screw(corporal)

was at Aldershot for training,than Yeovil for driver training.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 07:01 PM

I was in the Royal Engineers from late sixties, made sergeant and did a couple of stints in Cyprus mainly overseeing construction projects such as security and area defence around the airfields at Dhekelia and Acrotiri.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 08:03 PM

Does it count that I was an RAF wife for over twenty years - as good as being in the Service?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 08:12 PM

I'm afraid that if I told you, I would have to kill you.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I'm afraid that if I told you, I would have to kill you.
Why? Did you sign the Official Secrets Act?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 08:16 PM

This is hopeless. It seems that you are not allowed to post consecutive capital letters on here! So:

R-A-F S-A-C
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Leia ->
Why? Did you sign the Official Secrets Act?
My husband did, and I was interviewed and questioned too and had to sign documents. We were not allowed to holiday in communist countries either.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top