Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 08:20 PM

Re: Ex-services personnel, veterans etc?

Originally Posted by JBR ->
This is hopeless. It seems that you are not allowed to post consecutive capital letters on here! So:

R-A-F S-A-C
Not true RAF, SAC, what's the problem with that?

By the way, my husband was a Chief Technician.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Leia ->
Why? Did you sign the Official Secrets Act?
In blood!
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
My husband did, and I was interviewed and questioned too and had to sign documents. We were not allowed to holiday in communist countries either.
I had to sign it too, I think all service personnel do. I was also questioned by military police when there was a bomb blast in Aldershot. I slept through it, never heard a thing as I was working nights at the time.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
Not true RAF, SAC, what's the problem with that?

By the way, my husband was a Chief Technician.
I tried that, I promise, and it kept shoving in lower case letters.

Perhaps it's the dreaded Windows 10!
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Leia ->
I had to sign it too, I think all service personnel do. I was also questioned by military police when there was a bomb blast in Aldershot. I slept through it, never heard a thing as I was working nights at the time.
He had to sign because he worked on the radar on loaded nuclear bombers (Vulcans).
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 10:15 PM

I did N S and was in the Grenadier Guards 1959-61.I did my basic training at Caterham, a name that goes down in Guards history a bit like colditz. I lost a stone in weight in first 4 weeks. We did 17 weeks training, After that I went to the Queens Company 1st Battalion. we didnt see much of Europe, just 1 month in North Africa on exercise. For this we had to all go to Lyneham in Wiltshire just to practise getting on and off the planes, only there were not any planes , we just had to pretend there were, middle of January.
We actually went out in March, which was great as landing there the Temp was a pleasant 25c. we plodded around the desert, or in my case drove for a month, even to this day I dont quite know what we we doing .
Back home to U k a 7 hour flight in those days but were able to look down on the Bay of Naples at night , it looked fantstic.
Back in Tidworth for a while and then off to London for public Duties , on Guard at Buck house, and in those days it was outside the gates, so some very interesting moments with the public. There is a story that whilst you were stood there many got little notes put down the barrel of their rifle, sadly I never got one and think it was just a tale.
A spell there doing various public duties then back to Caterham and the ravages of Sailsbury plain with its mud etc .
Near the end of my service the Battalion had to go out to some trouble in the Cameroons, and at that point I only had about 3 months left of my service to complete so I was not able to go with them.
I got I think one of the most wonderful jobs in the Army, I got posted to Brigade Headquarters , this was where there were people from every regiment in the Army as this is where a lot of the planning went on. I had the Job along with one other guy as “Barman” in the Officers Mess. What a life that was, no regimented army life, our own room ,no getting up early, same breakfasts as the officers, well we just went and made our own in the kitchen.
We ran the little bar 12-2pm and 7- whenever, some times 2am next morning .
It was all waiter service, and we got to know some of the nicer type of officers, but it was still run by a Grenadier officer, and the name still makes me cringe.
Major Rochfort-Rae. Anyway we had a wonderful time and made loads of free Whiskey etc . They never knew about it and I doubt that any of those are now alive.
We took it in turns to go home at week -ends.
I wouldnt have missed my NS after having done it , the worst by miles was the basic training but I made some wonderful friends and came out a stronger person both physically and mentally.It would do the Teens of today good, but it is so long now since it finished and the world has changed. They wouldnt cope with the disipline.which is what it is all about, you do not question an order, because to do so in battle may lose you your life or the life of one of your comrades .
I know many do not agree with it , but they have not seen it or been involved in it,
Anyways that was my life in the Army , nothing special .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
It would do the Teens of today good, but it is so long now since it finished and the world has changed. They wouldnt cope with the disipline.which is what it is all about, you do not question an order, because to do so in battle may lose you your life or the life of one of your comrades .
I know many do not agree with it , but they have not seen it or been involved in it,
A very good point. I'm sure you are correct that most of our young people today wouldn't be able to cope with it, especially the discipline, but society has changed enormously over the past few decades.

I'm afraid that some people in authority are doing nothing to encourage recruitment either, what with ambulance chasing lawyers and prosecutions from many years ago.

Then, of course, the government is cutting the services to the bone.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 11:16 AM

My National Service occurred in 1953 to 1955. I did my 10 weeks infantry basic training with the Buffs in Canterbury. I was then transferred to the Royal Army Educational Corps. There the minimum rank was sergeant in order to give us the authority to teach other soldiers.

I was sent out to Singapore on a troopship. Very few people indeed went out by air – it was still extremely expensive. I now regard my time in Singapore as highly educational – on a par with my degree course. For the first time in my life I was leaning things that didn’t come out of a book. I enjoyed a very varied social life while there and came back much more mature than when I went out.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 02:31 PM

26 years served, 22 years Regular Army, 4years TAVR rank WO2 SSM
Served UK, France, Middle East, W Germany, NI, South Atlantic
Interspersed with jollies in Norway, Canada, Cyprus and the Isle of Man
Picked up a lot of memories and T shirts.

My posting to Paris at 19 was the most educational
From there to the Yemen was a bit of a culture shock
All in all, a good time, although under the present government I would not recommend it has a career for the young of today.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 03:59 PM

Great thread, thanks for participating guys

Norway's post in particular was very thought-provoking. Good man for sharing that one, bud

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top