Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 12:11 AM

Re: Dog tail cutting

[QUOTE=MickB;606266]As someone who helps run a rescue which "routinely" neuters dogs before rehoming, I think that some perspective is needed here. In our breed, the rescue situation is at crisis point simply because thousands of irresponsible owners think that breeding their pets is a reasonable source of income and usually sell their pups to equally irresponsible (or at best ill-informed) new owners. In such a situation, i believe that "routine" neutering of rescueddogs is a very necessary "mutilation."[/QUOTE]

This is also the case in most rescues Mick, they're all at crisis point. Not sure why people think neutering dogs will keep them out of rescue though. A neutered dog is every bit as likely to be abandoned or ill treated as an entire one.
Many are neutered now, but it hasn't eased the crisis in the rescues centres one bit. As you say, most are at crisis point.

The bad breeders, churning pups out like sausages are not the sort of people to have their dogs neutered in the first place unfortunately.
I have lived with dogs for 60-odd years, and never once had an accidental mating.
It seems a great shame in a way, that because of stupid, greedy, thick owners, it's the dog who has to be punished.
Agreed, these people won't be able to breed their dogs, but it still won't stop some people beating, starving, and neglecting dogs, and therefore rescues will always be full.

By the way, I am not totally against neutering, but it annoys me when it is suggested for very young puppies. Or owners that buy a bitch, then can't bothered with the seasons, so want it done just for their convenience, so it doesn't mess the best carpet up. They are putting that girl through a serious operation. Why do these people choose a bitch in the first place, then decide they want it 'modified'.
I have also heard so many owners say they did it simply because "the vet said so," without having a clue what's involved or about aftercare.

For owners that have both dogs and bitches, and no facilities to separate them at certain times, neutering is the best solution, for the male's sanity if nothing else. But as I've said, it's the ignorant owners breeding from anything and everything, that need stopping, not necessarily every single well trained pet that's from a one-dog household.

Lastly, I still never agreed with uneccessary docking either.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 12:14 AM

[QUOTE=Older git;606324]I blame those who `show` dogs for years of mutilation. As I remember a dog was not a dog unless it had both balls.[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid you've got crossed wires there OG. Show dogs must be 'entire'. Though I understand imitation testicles can be purchased would you believe!!
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 02:57 PM

This is also the case in most rescues Mick, they're all at crisis point. Not sure why people think neutering dogs will keep them out of rescue though. A neutered dog is every bit as likely to be abandoned or ill treated as an entire one.
Neutering dogs won't keep them out of rescue, but it will ensure that they won't be used to produce the next generation of rescues.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

08-02-2015, 10:12 PM

Yes, I agree it should help a little to reduce the next generation of rescues, BUT, how come more dogs than ever are now routinely neutered, yet rescues are more overcrowded than ever? Also, like I already said, the bad breeders and puppy farms churning too many pups out are just the very people who will never do it! It's usually the well meaning pet owners who are having their dogs neutered, and they are often the ones who didn't intend to breed in the first place!!

Neutering will only stop a small proportion of dogs ending up in rescue. Neutering will not make a scrap of difference to the annual 'holiday dumpers', or the cruelty cases, or people losing their jobs and their money, and their inability to afford a dog, nor the 'convenient' allergy sufferers, or the dogs that suddenly 'grow too big' or are out of control etc. etc. the list goes on. . .

Neutering is not the answer to all problems, as some folks are led to believe.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2015, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, I agree it should help a little to reduce the next generation of rescues, BUT, how come more dogs than ever are now routinely neutered, yet rescues are more overcrowded than ever?
.................................................. ....
Neutering is not the answer to all problems, as some folks are led to believe.
I think there are two issues here. Firstly, rescues (should) neuter before rehoming to ensure that the dogs they rehome can never add to the rescue problem.
Secondly, I agree totally that neutering is not the panacea that some anti-breeders would have us believe. It's like any other issue with dogs from picking up poo to muzzling aggressive dogs. The responsible owners (who do not contribute to the problem in any case) will do the right thing, while the irresponsible idiots will do whatever they want.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2015, 03:03 PM

Neutering won't keep them out of rescues is true but it does stop some people taking them on when all they really want is a cash cow who will produce litter after litter. Number of people who are offering me money for Elsie at the moment is scary, no one wants Betty she has already been neutered I will be very happy indeed to have Elsie done in April and will feel much safer walking her.

Incidentally we only kept one female entire and the female cancers she died from would have been much less likely to have happened if we had her neutered. So I am always very keen females be neutered. The need to neuter males is less clear cut though IMO.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

09-02-2015, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Neutering won't keep them out of rescues is true but it does stop some people taking them on when all they really want is a cash cow who will produce litter after litter. Number of people who are offering me money for Elsie at the moment is scary, no one wants Betty she has already been neutered I will be very happy indeed to have Elsie done in April and will feel much safer walking her..

As we all know, you can't help but see when a male has 'been done', but how does anyone know that Elsie hasn't been spayed and Betty has - unless you tell them Julie?
I think if anyone was showing too much interest in mine, I would say they've all 'been done', just to play safe until they really had.

By the way, to all dog lovers, I have heard several times over the past few months, that dog thieves are marking houses (or the pavements outside) where dogs live in some areas. Then their thieving accomplices know exactly where to go.
Why or why do people still go out and leave dogs in the garden all day, it's asking for trouble !!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
As we all know, you can't help but see when a male has 'been done', but how does anyone know that Elsie hasn't been spayed and Betty has - unless you tell them Julie?
I think if anyone was showing too much interest in mine, I would say they've all 'been done', just to play safe until they really had.

By the way, to all dog lovers, I have heard several times over the past few months, that dog thieves are marking houses (or the pavements outside) where dogs live in some areas. Then their thieving accomplices know exactly where to go.
Why or why do people still go out and leave dogs in the garden all day, it's asking for trouble !!
It seems clear with Elsie she swelled during her first heat and has never returned to the right size, so looks on heat, our vet says when she is spayed the hormones will dissipate and the swelling is likely to go down. Typical of our Elsie she is an odd dog LOL Betty snapped back into shape instantly BTW nice neat little package, Elsie looks like she is ready for action !

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top