Join for free
Page 70 of 370 « First < 20 60 68 69 70 71 72 80 120 170 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 04:58 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Thunderclouds were grumbling overhead when the phone rang this morning with friend on the other side of it chastising me for missing "dawn patrol", which is surfer speak for paddling out at first light to catch what are typically calm, glassy smooth surf conditions. With a bit of inconsistency between the imploring voice on the phone, and the thunder and lightning overhead, I decided to head down and see for myself. Sure enough, the waves were breaking in waist-high, smooth curls. I gave one quick glance to the skies over my shoulder and decided to make a go of it. While it was short-lived, with the caffeine-starved, irritable clouds tossing warning lightning bolts near the horizon, it was great wet fun. Six or seven waves were mine, before the squall blew the crests off the waves and blinded my vision too much to properly see and time the waves coming in my direction.

Not to be deterred, there was running to be had between showers, though I was dripping wet with preciptiation, perspiration, condensation, and puddle-ation by the time my watch announced an impending appointment with my tax accountant. Sighing over having to cut a planned six miles to five, I thought, "Budgets or a grueling run?" I know which I'd rather do any day of the week...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 07:46 AM

Sometimes the realities of life get in the way of the more serious and important things of being alive Surfermom......
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Floydy, I somehow hoped that your wife would be well enought to give you the green light to get back out there again. I was scratching my head at the "good girl" and "bad girl" execises...had no idea what they were...looked them up....Aah, of course! I should have known, adductor and abductor exercises! Anyway, nice job...I know you double rep sets are quite a challenge.
Aha! I always catch people out with that good girl/bad girl terminology. It's rather a rude way of describing those particular exercises, but I think if I spoke about abductor/adductor instead that would could conusion...which is which? etc.
Originally Posted by mart ->
I did the 10 mile cycle ride today (I'm 72 Surfermom).
Good man, Mart for completing this ride. I couldn't do that right now I'm sure with my knees! (And you're 20 years further on than me!)
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 02:13 PM

Thunderclouds were grumbling overhead when the phone rang this morning with friend on the other side of it chastising me for missing "dawn patrol", which is surfer speak for paddling out at first light to catch what are typically calm, glassy smooth surf conditions. With a bit of inconsistency between the imploring voice on the phone, and the thunder and lightning overhead, I decided to head down and see for myself. Sure enough, the waves were breaking in waist-high, smooth curls. I gave one quick glance to the skies over my shoulder and decided to make a go of it. While it was short-lived, with the caffeine-starved, irritable clouds tossing warning lightning bolts near the horizon, it was great wet fun. Six or seven waves were mine, before the squall blew the crests off the waves and blinded my vision too much to properly see and time the waves coming in my direction.

Not to be deterred, there was running to be had between showers, though I was dripping wet with preciptiation, perspiration, condensation, and puddle-ation by the time my watch announced an impending appointment with my tax accountant. Sighing over having to cut a planned six miles to five, I thought, "Budgets or a grueling run?" I know which I'd rather do any day of the week...
Sounds like an idyllic lifestyle, Surfermom. Showers perhaps but what a fantastic setting you have out there!
Surfing, running on the beach...I'd love to have done all that (in my younger days though!)
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

23-08-2017, 02:18 PM

My head isn’t really into training right now mainly due to my wife's illness being on my mind, which is a pity as I have two weeks off to get stuck in if I desired. Still, I made more of an effort than I did the day before. Here's yesterday's session:

Tuesday 22/8/17

DB press, 15° bench:
12x16’s w/u
6x24’s
6x26’s
6x28’s

Chest press:
8x70
8x80
6x85
20x40

Low row, single arm, alt:
10x80
10x90
10x100

DB concentration curls, sated, alt, (no rest):
5x18
5x18
5x18

DB preacher curl, over bench:
5x20
5x22

E-Z preacher curl, low pull, c/g, slow:
6x38
6x43
4x48

Standing DB curls, alt (no rest):
6x16
6x16
6x16

SUPERSET:
Tricep extension / BB curl:
12x40 / 12x20
12x50 / 12x20
12x60 / 12x20

Shoulder press:
4x75
4x85
4x90

Ab crunch:
12x50
12x60
12x70
25x40

Time: 1hr. 15mins.

As I'm not at work for a fortnight, I'm feeling the belly paunch making an unwelcome return at the moment, which is because I'm obviously not so active on the energetic front. So later on this afternoon I'll be doing that very rare thing for me - some cardio work, which will hopefully entail a good go on the rowing machine after a light high reps legs session.

Thanks for reading
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 05:36 AM

Floydy, I actually think you are doing a fine job of staying focused on your workouts while your wife recovers. Well done on the cardio too!

I am grateful for the outdoor life here, having moved from a climate with fierce winters and oppressive summers, but we have our warts too. Two major hurricanes and the BP oil spill have meant that a fair amount of the residents' free time here is spent repairing, rebuilding, cleaning up, and preparing. Home DIY is practically a hobby for everyone! .
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 05:03 PM

Nothing too strenuous to report.

A four mile walk yesterday and a 10 mile cycle ride today.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

25-08-2017, 03:55 AM

Ha! Those italics didn’t slip by me, those were solid fitness days, Mart! It seems that many of the forum members live in places conducive to walking and cycling. Outside of the beaches and a long, dedicated trail system, the town in which I live requires owl-head-turning focuse to run, walk, and cycle safely since sidewalks and bike lanes are all but non-existent - suprising for an area heavily visited by tourists. I am envious of those of you who can safely walk or cycle to market. Sometimes it seems strange that we exercise to exercise - without a chore attached to it.

Ok, Floydy...now you've done it...all this talk of living in an idyllic place ...

The effects of hurricane Harvey in the Gulf of Mexico are already spinning off convective bands of towering but spotty storms our way. The cells rain out fast, quickly yielding to the oppressive August sun, pushing the humidity to 90% with temperatures around 33 C. Slogging through every difficult step of a six miler, I got tickled at the idea that I was more swimming than running. Apparently, all that water vapor hiding in the atmosphere was looking for a victim on which to condense and that lucky person was me!

Harvey will make landfall a few hundred miles to the east in a few days, promising some interesting (but not damaging) weather and surf conditions...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

25-08-2017, 07:33 PM

Floydy, I actually think you are doing a fine job of staying focused on your workouts while your wife recovers. Well done on the cardio too!

I am grateful for the outdoor life here, having moved from a climate with fierce winters and oppressive summers, but we have our warts too. Two major hurricanes and the BP oil spill have meant that a fair amount of the residents' free time here is spent repairing, rebuilding, cleaning up, and preparing. Home DIY is practically a hobby for everyone! .
Thanks, Surfermom.
And you're quite right in saying about the extreme weather you experience over there. The sun and surf would be lovely, but the hurricanes could be a tad worrying I guess!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

25-08-2017, 07:36 PM

Yesterday’s proposed cardio return never happened as I took Mrs. Floyd out to Bridlington where she enjoyed a nice stroll along the prom and some fish 'n' chips.

Today I couldn’t really be fussed thrashing myself stupid in this heat with any cardio, so I decided to do some good old traditional weights instead. Legs was the main focus today and I’m very much getting to grips with this current routine; three standard sets of what exercises I’ve still got left I can do without too much knee pain, plus a heavier ‘failure’ set and a high reps drop set to finish off with. but I’m unsure of being able to train tomorrow yet, so I did a couple of great exercises for the arms as well.

Friday 25/8/17

Incline leg press:
20x170
20x170
20x170
26x200
50x150

Seated ham curls:
12x50
12x50
12x50
16x60
50x35

Good girls:
20x50
20x50
20x50
13x60
30x40

Bad girls:
20x50
20x50
20x50
22x60
33x40

Seated leg press:
15x150
15x150
15x150
17x180
40x120

Calf press:
20x150
20x150
20x150
14x160
30x100

- - - - - -

Tricep extensions (with drop sets):
15x40
15x50
15x60
10x70
7x80
5x90
13x70
18x50
22x40
27x30 fast reps
=10 sets total.
*Backs of my arms were positively screaming at the end of these. Only one thing for it then – burn and expand the biceps to match!...

E-Z bar preacher curl, low pull, c/g with drop sets:
10x28
10x38
8x43
6x48
4x55
*It’s a while since I went that heavy. Back down the weights with some drop sets:
11x38
9x38
8x38
15x28
20x18 fast reps
=10 sets total.
*Looking and feeling very pumped up with this little lot. Temporarily anyway!

Dammit! Forgot the mandatory ab crunches.
Started on the rowing machine but lost the will to live after about a minute and ditched it

Time: 1hr. 40mins.

Very pleased with all that today. It’s nowhere near as heavy as I used to lift but I’m still feeling like my legs have had a good workout, so I can’t complain and the arms workout was a nice little booster.

My body has taught me a long-threatened lesson that all that heavy leg work over the years takes its toll. I was warned, I ignored the signs and now I’m paying the price for overdoing it. Whether it’s arthritis or not, it happens and we don’t get stronger forevermore; we reach a limit eventually. But we improvise with what we’ve got and life goes on.

I'm not sure about any weekend training yet. I may get time in the morning but tomorrow night I'm going to see Joanne Shaw Taylor who is regarded as the best British blues-rock guitarist at the moment, so that will be a good night out.

Thanks for reading, enjoy the bank holiday weekend folks!

Page 70 of 370 « First < 20 60 68 69 70 71 72 80 120 170 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top