Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Calcio2
EU ireland
Calcio2 is male  Calcio2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 08:03 PM

The end of the diesel car is nigh

Just reading the papers in the last few weeks it appears that diesel car sales have fallen dramatically. It seems people are being put off them by health worries from emissions and possible tarrifs being imposed by governments.I also read somewhere that some cities in Europe are going to ban diesels entrying going forward.I wonder what all this will do for used car values.I think people are going back to petrols or switching to hybrid or electric.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 08:06 PM

Re: The end of the diesel car is nigh

Everyone round here seems to drive a diesel car .
They are mainly large SUVs
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 06:26 PM

It seems the diesel is falling out of favour, a few manufacturers are not even offering their cars with a diesel engine, although fleets still buy in huge numbers due to the savings in fuel economy
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 06:40 PM

Oh no don't say this.
I've still got my old diesel Citroen van which I need to clean up and charge the battery and sell. Its sat there for 9 months now since I bought a car.

I'll probably have to scrap it if no one wants diesels anymore.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Oh no don't say this.
I've still got my old diesel Citroen van which I need to clean up and charge the battery and sell. Its sat there for 9 months now since I bought a car.

I'll probably have to scrap it if no one wants diesels anymore.
I wouldn't panic just yet, although, if it's been sat for a long time the handbrake has probably seized, and check the tyres haven't flat spotted from being stood in one place, they'll probably Need renewing anyway due to age, not to mention oil and filter changes
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Everyone round here seems to drive a diesel car . They are mainly large SUVs
And around here also. Basically a diesel is a good choice, they are more reliable, start easier in winter, do more mpg than petrol, and have more torgue lower down the rev. scale. Good country vehicles. Mine is a classic 'old banger' (not an SUV) 115K on the clock, I will keep it until some trendy PC law maker just taxes it off the road
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
And around here also. Basically a diesel is a good choice, they are more reliable, start easier in winter, do more mpg than petrol, and have more torgue lower down the rev. scale. Good country vehicles. Mine is a classic 'old banger' (not an SUV) 115K on the clock, I will keep it until some trendy PC law maker just taxes it off the road
I agree with that. Anyone who has driven a diesel would have noticed the extra torque and the engines just go on and on.

I don't think people are ditching them for health reasons, it's more likely because of the extra taxes and bans imposed.

I look forward to the day I see the Royals and politicians driving around in their Prius.
Primus1
York

14-06-2017, 09:32 PM

The problem with modern diesels are all the devices fitted to them to meet EU emission targets, they are no good if you don't do at least 10,000 miles per annum, and use them for lots of short runs as problems occur with the dpf and egr systems
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
I'm of the same opinion,10 yr old Zafira diesel 105,000 it'll be gone when its either uneconomical to run or the government force it off the road.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 05:31 PM

Mostly diesels where I live too, Hubby just bought a new Discovery.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top