Join for free
Page 396 of 1676 « First < 296 346 386 394 395 396 397 398 406 446 496 896 1396 > Last »
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 09:31 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I thought dodo was an internet provider???
I thought she were a song singist.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
Oh dear - JEM!!!!!!!!!!!! - we need this sorting out before Xmas - we need the true definition of "a moment" - spitfire often doesn't say much but when he does he often creates a quandary [ and there's another one to throw in the pot]
Umm...if I may,chaps?...

Etomologically,'a moment' is actually 1.5 minutes,gumbud.
Alternatively known as 90 seconds [for those who insist on metric measurements]
However,'back in the day',an hour consisted of 40 minutes.
Each of those minutes was made up of 40 'moments'.
However,they pesky Romans changed all that-what have the Romans ever done for us?
Incidentally,the phrase 'one moment' is to do with the gravitational constant and its relative effect on any area of space containing measureable gaseous or solid volume and the effects upon that matter-errm...I shall now stfu. ...sorry...

I am SO bored! [hashtag sigh]
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 01:26 PM

I'M back! [but still bored sh~tless]
IF anyone gives a hoot,the other 'time-term' in common use today,which everyone knows and nearly everyone has at some point used,is 'a jiffy'
This term,'jiffy',was a term thought of by a chap named Gilbert Newton Lewis.
He came up with the word jiffy' as the name for the time it takes light to travel one centimeter in a vacuum (approximately 33.3564 picoseconds).

Yuhh....that's where 'jiffy' came from.
I believe he died in 1946,so never got to know of the common usage of his originally technical term.
Ummm...I'm waiting for some govy GONK to come inspect my preparations and flu for the new combi boiler I'm waiting to install. Ergo,my intense boredom.
I've played four types of guitar,recorded two tracks,walked the pooches along the beach,gone for coal,made and lit the fire,cleaned the windows and written this crap-and STILL that prat is 'on route'!!!
Can you believe,I've had THREE calls from his office so far this morning-because he's lost?!?!?!?
LOST! - Trying to find a fkn ISLAND!!!
Oh,dear...remind me again why we 'average' dumbos have such little faith in governments???
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 01:36 PM

Ah, so that is what is meant by a mo. But etemology? I thort that was the study of flutterbyes.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK

20-12-2017, 01:45 PM

Oh...just in case...

A picosecond is one trillionth of a second.
Plus-if anyone accidentally finds themselves interested;
A femtosecond is one quadrillionth of a second.
An attosecond is one quintillionth of a second.
A zeptosecond is one trillionth of one billionth of a second.
[that's equal to 0.000.000.000.000.000.000.001 seconds]
The numeral 1,is twenty-one 0s after the initial decimal point.
.....and I have just proved why anyone with a doctorate in astro-physics has more pencils,notepads and scribble-sheets than friends....

Ok-I'll tootle off and play my Hofner again.

Sorry chaps.....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Re Moment.
Well put Pug, I see moments differently though.

“Moment” is a very important word, one can be snuffed out in a moment, life and death decisions sometimes have to be made in a moment, and according to the bullshit experts on the beginning of the universe, the big bang happened in a moment, to me that theory is worse than believing that the earth was flat, but I won’t go on about that, I’m in good humour and I want to stay that way.
Now when you add ‘The’ to moment it takes on many meanings, like in the song “The moment that your lips met mine and that first exciting time I held you near…” according to Marty Robbins that is the moment he fell in louvre, then Perry Como went on to have “Magic moments” As the years go by the moments turn to “Memories” and eventually fade away altogether.
Yes we all had our moments and as we age it gets harder to step back into the moments, but one can still step back into the movements, why only last night as I was taking the bin from the back garden I stepped into the dogs crap, and me wearing me new Christmas carpet slippers to try them out, yuk! As I came back into the house with one slipper on and holding the offending one at arms length, she gave me such a look “I just hope you don’t think that slipper is going into my washing machine” talk about mind reading, they are genius’s at it, It took me half an hour to scrape off the stuff and hand wash the slipper in a tin basin.
Moments can never be measured, there is no official time span for a moment, when a shop assistant or someone on the phone tells you to “Hang on a moment” it can be for any amount of time, and when your final moment comes it will only be the beginning of the greatest adventure of all, well it has to be, nobody’s come back to complain about it have they?
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK

No-that's ENTemology,Fruity.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK

20-12-2017, 01:57 PM

Ah-the thing there,Jem,is that you're using the word 'moment' as an ajective,not a noun-which is perfectly acceptable as an emotive description of unmeasured time,but falls seriously short of scientific accuracy...y'see? Hearts and their emotive resonances have NO concept of reality...which is why the 'Big Bang' theory remains just that.
If anyone with an I.Q. greater than their boot-size gave it any depth of thought at all,that whole theory falls into it's own mire.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 05:56 PM

Anyway Pug me lad I'm excused all that hard stuff as I never got pass 4th class in primary school.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

20-12-2017, 05:58 PM

I would like to wish all the scribblers and their kit and kin a very happy Christmas and a happy new year.
Thank you all for keeping me amused and cheering me up with many good laughs, it’s a pleasure to know you all.
I have to give you credit for the excellent behaviour all through the year, you all deserve a lump of sugar each.
Thank you most sincerely.
Now yis can all get pissed and have a good time, and the best of luck to ya.

Page 396 of 1676 « First < 296 346 386 394 395 396 397 398 406 446 496 896 1396 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top