Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 11:20 PM

Rediscovering vinyl again

I've decided to buy one of these. It's an American retro-style GPO Memphis record player, but what I like about it is that it also has a built-in CD & MP3 player with USB port as well, plus a radio.

It's been a long time, almost 40 years since I bought my first single and I stopped buying vinyl altogether in 1986, but I can see myself revisiting my old hobby and enjoying visiting second-hand record shops to find some classic albums again. Obviously, my first purchase has got to be my all-time favourite album, Pink Floyd's 'The Dark Side Of The Moon', a record I have owned previously many times in other formats.

Does anyone else still collect vinyl, or has found a rekindled interest in the format?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 08:22 AM

Re: Rediscovering vinyl again

Like yourself i love vinyl,, and i have laso been looking at these type of record players with an eye to convert my collection into a digital format, though i doubt i would live long enough to see that completed. I have quite a few Albums using the Artificial Head system favoured by Krautrock and a few modern 78rpm records.

My copy od DSOTM is a half speed mastered version.I will bee interested to see how you get on with this.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 08:28 AM

That looks great Floydy. I just wish I had kept all my vinyl LPs, I still think the sound was better than CDs and I also can remember searching around record shops for unusual versions. There used to be a shop in Central London that stayed open all night.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
My copy od DSOTM is a half speed mastered version.I will bee interested to see how you get on with this.
Really good call about the DSOTM half-speed version, Nom.
I think as it will be my first purchase, I'll be buying the recent "Discovery" edition just to see how good it sounds on my new player, and when I come across it, the version you mention. I'd also like an original 1973 early pressing...if I can find one!

I do intend though to enjoy my collecting and rather than blindly buy stuff from Ebay or Amazon with little fun except for getting parcels through the post, I'll be scouting the send-hand vinyl shops like I used to in my youth!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Really good call about the DSOTM half-speed version, Nom.
I think as it will be my first purchase, I'll be buying the recent "Discovery" edition just to see how good it sounds on my new player, and when I come across it, the version you mention. I'd also like an original 1973 early pressing...if I can find one!

I do intend though to enjoy my collecting and rather than blindly buy stuff from Ebay or Amazon with little fun except for getting parcels through the post, I'll be scouting the send-hand vinyl shops like I used to in my youth!
I know exactly what you mean and downloading is even more soulless.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 08:39 AM

That is where i used to spend loads of time searching for great stuff, specially in second hand shops near student accommodation as they often needed quick cash, so some incredible finds were had

These days with the record fairs many are savvy so its hard to get a bargain, i harbored the thought of parting with my vinyl once it was converted, but keeping special disks back, i have about 1500 LPs.

I started back in the 60`s with a Dansette reel to reel tuned in to the pirate radio stations taping tracks.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

12-06-2017, 08:41 AM

Something else that Vinyl gave us was true stereo recordings, something that seems to be missing now.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 09:56 AM

I still have a record player to fit a small bungalow-not quite the same as when I had separates and huge speakers but I digress. There are the most played vinyls in the room I am sitting in now. The rest are in a very large `steamer trunk` in the garage.

As my garage was tidied over the weekend two ladies of 21 and 15 respectively just had to open it.

My `respect` rating shot up.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I've decided to buy one of these. It's an American retro-style GPO Memphis record player, but what I like about it is that it also has a built-in CD & MP3 player with USB port as well, plus a radio.

It's been a long time, almost 40 years since I bought my first single and I stopped buying vinyl altogether in 1986, but I can see myself revisiting my old hobby and enjoying visiting second-hand record shops to find some classic albums again. Obviously, my first purchase has got to be my all-time favourite album, Pink Floyd's 'The Dark Side Of The Moon', a record I have owned previously many times in other formats.

Does anyone else still collect vinyl, or has found a rekindled interest in the format?
I got one very similar to this 2 years ago.
I have a small but interesting collection of vinyl that I'd left unplayed for yonks.

Wasn't Bowie's last album(2016)the best selling vinyl for 25 years?

I even own an original HMV Elvis...Heartbreak Hotel.

Bit damaged but playable.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 11:22 AM

I have a box of about twenty LPs, having cleared out about fifty a few years ago. My Tecnics turntable retired itself (swine), so they remain silent. Perhaps I should take a peep at WightBay for a replacement...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top