Join for free
Page 64 of 1676 « First < 14 54 62 63 64 65 66 74 114 164 564 1064 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2016, 09:48 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Anyone remember those stink bombs, the ones in the little glass tube that you stood on to break, Christ the pong was unbearable, as far as I know they were made from chemicals it’s a wonder any of us survived. The bombs were great fun when you let them off in the cinema as a kid, but then when I got older and was enjoying a pint with mates on a Saturday night a few kids would dash into the pub, crush a few bombs then out again in a flash before the barman could get out from behind the counter, it wasn’t so funny then, we’d all clear off into the lounge where all the old dears drank, the Diddy parlour we used to call it, sit there for the rest of the night listening to some ole one singing “Heart of my heart” or “Roll out the barrel” and the four of us sitting there in our winkle pickers and Beatle jackets thinking we were the cheese, Roll out the Barrel was very painful on a young mans ears back in the 1960’s.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2016, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Anyone remember those stink bombs, the ones in the little glass tube that you stood on to break, Christ the pong was unbearable, as far as I know they were made from chemicals it’s a wonder any of us survived. The bombs were great fun when you let them off in the cinema as a kid, but then when I got older and was enjoying a pint with mates on a Saturday night a few kids would dash into the pub, crush a few bombs then out again in a flash before the barman could get out from behind the counter, it wasn’t so funny then, we’d all clear off into the lounge where all the old dears drank, the Diddy parlour we used to call it, sit there for the rest of the night listening to some ole one singing “Heart of my heart” or “Roll out the barrel” and the four of us sitting there in our winkle pickers and Beatle jackets thinking we were the cheese, Roll out the Barrel was very painful on a young mans ears back in the 1960’s.
, see the strange thing is, when young, some folks have no problem congregating, some do, but when older the same folks juxtapose, the same forceful folks withdraw, and the reticents flourish, why is that?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2016, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->

, see the strange thing is, when young, some folks have no problem congregating, some do, but when older the same folks juxtapose, the same forceful folks withdraw, and the reticents flourish, why is that?
it's called herd instinct - or is that herd stinks? or when mixing with the herd be prepared to be down wind of the turds?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2016, 07:59 AM

Some Lancastrians have a Hird instinct.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2016, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
it's called herd instinct - or is that herd stinks? or when mixing with the herd be prepared to be down wind of the turds?
Some of the ‘Singers’ in those old pubs really thought they were on stage at the London Palladium, they went through all the actions of the original performers, one fella who’s party piece was “Secret Love” use to stand up on a stool when it came to the bit “Now I shout it from the highest hill…” We would be mortified trying to keep in the laughing because if they caught you you’d be out on your ear in a flash with a black eye to boot, these folks were all family related and you’d never know who was who’s Uncle or Aunt. They used the ’Noble call’ method of selecting the next singer, when the singer is finished he/she selects someone else and so on, there were some sights I can tell you, youths can be very cruel to the older generations but that’s the way it always was, a right bunch of slaggers we were back then, never thinking for a second that someday we would be doing the exact same thing we were laughing at now, round and round goes the cycle of life.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

06-08-2016, 08:47 PM

I'm just waiting for the wife to finish dollin herself up, the daughter was 50 yesterday and there's a big hooley on in a pub in town tonight, if I ain't here tomorrow I'll either be sleeping it off or dead..
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

06-08-2016, 08:50 PM

I'm just waiting for the wife to finish dollin herself up, the daughter was 50 yesterday and there's a big hooley on in a pub in town tonight, if I ain't here tomorrow I'll either be sleeping it off or dead..
Just make sure you have enough to make a fool of yourself, then be told about it tomorrow.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2016, 04:22 AM

as churchill once said to an irate woman driver - I may be drunk now my dear but tomorrow morning I will be sober - you my dear are down right ugly!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2016, 10:15 AM

Good day scribblers ... may I join you ?
Well tuff luck ! here I am

That word 'hooley' reminds me of my childhood.
Dad's mum and her family were from Tallaght (Dublin). Dad was born there and when he and mum got engaged, or married, or something, they went over for a visit.

They were told that everyone was going to 'a hooley at Malloys'

Malloys, being a local bar.

I used to try to imagine what it was like. Never been to Dublin. Met some of grandmother's family when I was tiny and they were over her visiting. Guess I must have relatives somewhere in Ireland though .... maybe I should investigate.

I shall start reading back now and see what you lot chat about.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

08-08-2016, 11:03 AM

There is no Chat in here, merely correspondence.

Page 64 of 1676 « First < 14 54 62 63 64 65 66 74 114 164 564 1064 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top