Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 10:44 AM

Organ donation opt in or out?

Should we have to opt out of organ donation rather than opt in?
My personal view is that it should be opt out .
Why put families this traumatic decision at a terrible time .

Perhaps we could have some sort of form on reaching 18 years of age giving our choice or put on our NI details .
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 10:47 AM

Re: Organ donation opt in or out?

I have always had the donation card. I do think it should be something we have to opt out of..

That way the whole awful process of approaching familes could be avoided something traumatic for both the families and the doctors.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 12:55 PM

I think it should be 'opt in' - but it won't apply in my case anyway. My mortal remains are being left to medical science which precludes organ donation.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 01:15 PM

What is the procedure for opting in or out anyway?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
What is the procedure for opting in or out anyway?
Mups it would mean that they can use your organs when you die, unless you have opted out, whereas now they have to ask your next of kin, for permission, immediately after you die.

I think that opting out is probably the best way because:-
1) It is you body so you should be able to decide whether you want to give bits of it to others.
2) When somebody you love has just died, it is not the best time for the family to make a decision on allowing bits of their body to be donated.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Mups it would mean that they can use your organs when you die, unless you have opted out, whereas now they have to ask your next of kin, for permission, immediately after you die.

I think that opting out is probably the best way because:-
1) It is you body so you should be able to decide whether you want to give bits of it to others.
2) When somebody you love has just died, it is not the best time for the family to make a decision on allowing bits of their body to be donated.

Twink, I realised that, but I what I meant was, there is a donor card for those who wish to donate, but how does one let anyone know if they do not want to donate?
Will there be an 'opting out' card as well?
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 02:05 PM

When I was twentyfive I had a really bad asthma attack and my lung collapsed as was rushed into hospital. I used to wear an organ donation permission medal on a chain round my neck but found it missing when I came round in intensive care. My mum told me eventually that she had taken it off me while I was unconscious as she was worried if the doctors saw it they wouldn't have tried to save me.

I think it should be an opt out policy as my mum wouldn't have given permission at the time. As far as I'm concerned they can take what they need when I'm dead as my empty shell is no good to me anymore.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Twink, I realised that, but I what I meant was, there is a donor card for those who wish to donate, but how does one let anyone know if they do not want to donate?
Will there be an 'opting out' card as well?
At the moment I think that is down to the relatives. The opt out would mean you can make your own choice
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 02:51 PM

I`m all for staying in-not that my organs will be of much use.
Road_Hog
New Member!
Warwick
Road_Hog is male 

10-07-2017, 12:47 PM

Because of the demographics of the forum, many of you will remember a time when the State did not interfere in our daily lives so much.

Our bodies are our own, to decide as we wish. We are free individuals, not owned by the State and they have no right to decide that they may take our body parts after our death. The State is here to protect us, not run our lives and their mandate does not run to harvesting organs. Especially as there is no guarantee as to how those organs will be used.

On that last point, it has been well documented (in the press) that donated organs (in this country) have been sold and transplanted to foreigners.

The government should issue a ban on all donated organs being used for non British (domiciled) people. They should try to educate people in to the altruism and benefits of organ donation, but not by force.

I say this as someone who was told by their gastro, in February of this year, that I have an outside chance of needing a liver transplant during my lifetime.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top