Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 04:06 PM

The country code

i believe in adhering to the country code. As a member of a walking club, we all adhere strictly to it. There's a bit more that I need to find out about it though.

Yesterday, we did a lovely walk from Lochanhully to Sluggan Bridge, then back another path towards Lochanhully. It was very remote, with deer running swiftly passed us. Not a soul in sight. Beautiful. We then came to the end of a path which had a farm that we had to pass through. Before the gate was a herd of Highland cows and their calves. My stomach sank, as there was nothing between them and us. I do know that you do not disturb them if calves are around. We turned round and tried to find another path, to no avail. We just had to go through the field towards the gate. My heart was beating fast as we walked along the side of a barbed wire fence a few yards away and I have to be honest and say they were completely unperturbed. Phew! I don't know that much about cows. I do know that I respect them very much, but I just did not know if you do just walk slowly pass them that they would be comfortable enough with that. Which they obviously were. Anyone know anything about the behaviour of cows?
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 04:23 PM

Re: The country code

If you are walking on your own just walk slowly past-cattle are mostly soft. If you have a dog keep it on the lead and again walk slowly,and confidently.

As for the country code,I have some words for drivers who do not slow down for horse riders,and one or two more for drivers who stick up their fingers -but I never swear on a site like this.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 04:29 PM

Cows are not too bad Myra, it's the Bulls that come over to you and that are curious as i found out last year on holiday! We had gone over to the Isle Of Man for our usual camping holiday to see the Manx Grand Prix. This certain day we went to view the races in the field next to the campsite they were a lot of cows stood chewing the grass and one young bull he came over and was trying to make friends with us. The campsite farmer was close by watching and came over and had to shoo it away with a stick. A little later i sat on the chair and nodded off and suddenly woke up to a nudge in the back and i ignored it thinking it was my hubby messing about so i shut my eyes, it happened again and i turned round it was the bull Yikes!! I turned round to my hubby he wasn't there? he was stood with the farmer near the gate further across the field i stood up and picked the chair up to defend myself and shouted " What you doing over there ". And they come over laughing, i wasn't happy... How Dare He Leave Me On Our Honeymoon!!! It was funny afterwards the young bull just wanted to play....
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 04:35 PM

About bulls;

An old bull and a young bull were in a field when the cows were let out,the young bull says;

`Let`s run down and take one each`

The old bull answers;

`We will walk and take two each`
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 04:45 PM

I think you have to a little bit careful round cows with or with out their young.
Remember reading about two cases over the past couple of years where walkers were trampled.In fact I think you have to be careful at any time when walking in the countryside.
Thank goodness your walk Myra ,went without a hitch.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 04:54 PM

Thank you everyone. Very reassuring to read. I can't tell you how nervous we were! I now know from my experience, and yours, that you have to respect them and keep a clear distance. Those big Highland cows with their huge horns look scarey, but seem more interested in eating grass!

It was the same on the West Highland Way a few years ago with the ferrel goats. I nearly had a fit when I saw them, but they were more scared of me!

Thank you again.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 06:38 PM

Most dangerous ive been around are the Chillingham wild cattle, a truly ancient breed their land was totally enclosed in the 12th century. To see them you must go in with a guide, as they will slowly surround you then charge. There are some at a secret site in Scotland, put there in case foot and mouth wiped out the population. They tried crossbreeding with Aberdeen Angus,but the Chiilingham genes are so strong they showed no signs if the Aberdeens at all.

One of the royals from the past hunted one by hiding in a cart of hay, and when it passed by shot it in the head.

Great place to visit if your in Northumberland, the castle is supposed to be one of the most haunted in the UK.

http://www.chillingham-castle.com/Ca...p?S=2&V=1&P=41

Most of the attacks by normal cows seem to have been centered around people with dogs among herds with young.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

18-04-2015, 06:45 PM

Nom it's things like that which scare me. It was difficult enough walking two of us alone, but with a dog I'd feel even worse. Don't think I'd go there.

You really do have to respect farm animals, as well as wild animals.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

18-04-2015, 06:51 PM

Now I said keep a dog on a lead-but if you really suspect trouble I think the advice is to let the dog off? He/she will find an exit and so remove the threat. I am happy around all cattle but I have never walked a dog near them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 08:39 AM

I was always told never to take dogs into cow fields. They will almost always go after the dogs.
Happened to me once when I had 2 dogs and my son with me when he was little. Damn cows charged at us but luckily we were near enough to the stile to get out quick. It was scary because they meant business and they look incredibly large as they get closer!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top