Join for free
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2012, 05:35 PM

Banks and direct debits

Wasn't sure where to put this but I am having a moan.

I received a statement from the bank account that I had jointly with my mother, this morning.
My mum died over two years ago.
I don't use it much but don't want to close the account. On last months statement, a £2 direct debit was shown as being taken out by MacMillan Cancer. I telephoned the bank to query this, as I knew nothing about it.
Supposedly, it was sorted and I got a refund.

On this mornings statement, the same direct debit had taken another £2. I was quite cross, because this account isn't used and it is not my regular bank, where all my direct debits are taken from.
This time I telephoned MacMillan and was gobsmacked to hear that they couldn't find the direct debit or me!! even when I gave them the number. And, she didn't know my name.
The lady didn't know what to say, so said she would 'phone back after consulting her manager (I think)
She eventually called and still had no explanation, except that a bank had transferred the direct debit to my branch. I asked the name of the account holder and which branch it came from, can you guess? it was under my mother's name and her branch.
What a complete b*lls up.
How on earth, could a branch of a bank transfer a direct debit that had been cancelled over two years ago?
How come my branch didn't query the name?
Just goes to show, you are not safe at your own bank.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

24-09-2012, 08:54 PM

Re: Banks and direct debits

It often seems like they could not run a whelk stall properly and when things go wrong they are as much use as a chocolate teapot.

They are like quicksilver when it comes to taking out a few bob from your account but Nelson could get his eye back in the time it takes to refund it if they make a mistake.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2012, 09:31 PM

Can't disagree with that George.
It's the inefficiency that worries and annoys me, I have no faith in this bank now.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2012, 10:54 PM

Direct debit are set up with the person taking the money not your bank. If the person who sets up the direct debit doesn't cancel it it can be taken until it is cancelled. Your mother probably set it up on the old account. The account was cancelled but the DD wasn't?
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2012, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by warleyron ->
Direct debit are set up with the person taking the money not your bank. If the person who sets up the direct debit doesn't cancel it it can be taken until it is cancelled. Your mother probably set it up on the old account. The account was cancelled but the DD wasn't?
I agree this is a MacMillan error not a bank error. They are the ones to blame as they are taking the money. If it was a standing order then it is down to you to cancel it and if the bank still then pays it then it is their error. But a direct debit is different.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

25-09-2012, 12:18 PM

Sorry to jump in here, what you say is true Ron but Jan spoke to the bank in question and they acknowledged the situation by putting the refund in place. It seems to me that to then take a further debit is the real issue.

I can agree with Jan over this because I know from bitter experience over several DD problems just how dilatory and mindblowingly inefficient they can be when they have been proved to be in the wrong.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

25-09-2012, 12:44 PM

I can assure you, Ron, when mum died, I cancelled this and all other direct debits on her account..which was a joint account for us, so that I could manage her affairs.
We are talking of over two years ago since the account was closed and transferred under my name to my local branch, with not a penny drawn since.
Of course my mother set it up, under her name (eg Smith.)
I am in receipt of several letters of sympathy from utility companies and including MacMillan Cancer and other companies she dealt with on a regular basis, after the account was closed.
The whole point of my grumble is that it is two years..suddenly the direct debit is being taken out, under my mothers name, (Smith) from my account. (Name of Janela Brown)
If the direct debit hadn't been cancelled, why wasn't money taken out in the intervening two years?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2012, 11:50 PM

Direct debit are set up with the person taking the money not your bank.
Yep, that is the key to this, you cannot cancel a direct debit with your bank and they are obliged to follow direct debit instructions.

I refuse to have anything to do with direct debits partly because of this and also because in the case of utilities you have no control over the sum being debited. If they make a mistake you could find yourself up for other charges such as account overdrawn fees etc

Paperless accounts are all fine but direct debit? No...
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

29-09-2012, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
you cannot cancel a direct debit with your bank and they are obliged to follow direct debit instructions.
Sorry Bruce that is wrong, at least here in the UK. A DD is cancelled at the account holders branch. It can be done by the Internet, phone or in writing. I have alwsy done it this way without a problem.
It is though always best to advise the organisation where the payments were going. Simply sending them a copy of any details that you have sent to your bank will do.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top