Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
CailinRua
The High Coast
CailinRua is female  CailinRua has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2016, 01:32 AM

What Was The First Song You Learned By Heart?

What was the first popular song you learned by heart?

By this, I don't mean nursery rhymes,'Happy Birthday To You' or the folk songs of your native culture. I mean hit songs.

Mine was 'Groovy Kind Of Love' by the Mindbenders.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2016, 09:49 AM

Re: What Was The First Song You Learned By Heart?

This one by Frankie - I was about 4 year old and sang me little heart out
I had a gift for picking up songs very quickly, a couple of hearings and the song was mine

stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2016, 10:12 AM

Knights in White Satin by the Moody Blues.

The words are even more poignant for me lately. stevmk2
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2016, 10:31 AM

Mine was shout , sung by lou lou , I played it over and over again loving the sound and expression , then one day my dad had had enough he pulled the record off the turntable and smashed it ........
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2016, 11:11 AM

My mum always sang, "The Happy Wanderer" to me when I was little so it was the first song I learned.
Then my sister taught me Gillygillyosenfethercatsanellapokem by the Sea, took a bit longer to learn!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2016, 11:46 AM

Sitting at home in the winter dad taught me to play chess and we learned the soundtrack to Carmen Jones...

I think this was the first I knew by heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReqRP2d-JAg
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2016, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by CailinRua ->

Mine was 'Groovy Kind Of Love' by the Mindbenders.
I have a terrible memory for song words. I even have to have the words in front of me when performing songs I've written myself. Your comment did remind me of the time I met Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders in 1965 (Wayne Fontana had left the group by the time they recorded "Groovy Kind of Love").
It was in Slough in Hickies Music Shop (now long gone). Although it was a posh shop, mainly selling pianos and violins, there was a very good record department right at the back of the shop and it was there where my mates and I used to hang out on Saturday afternoons listening to music for free (by this time in 1965 we were getting heavily into Blues and the lovely shop assistant, who we all fancied like mad, indulged us by importing obscure records from the US. Anyway, one Saturday afternoon, we were all lounging around while Big Bill Broonzy or Blind Willie McTell played on the store loudspeakers, when Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders strolled in and asked to listen to their latest recording - "Game of Love" on the loudspeakers. "No way am I putting that rubbish on the speakers", says the assistant and ushered the whole band into a tiny listening booth to listen to their record. It seems cruel now, but when the group came out, we all laughed and took the mickey out of them as they slunk off. I didn't realise until recently that Eric Stewart of 10CC fame had taken over briefly as their singer when Wayne Fontana left the band - I wonder if he was there that day.
CailinRua
The High Coast
CailinRua is female  CailinRua has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2016, 12:48 PM

It was Eric who sang lead on 'Groovy Kind Of Love', Mick.
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2016, 01:16 PM

Oh gosh, I am showing my age here, but I think it was Bill Hayley singing Rock around the clock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgdufzXvjqw
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2016, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Marion ->
Oh gosh, I am showing my age here, but I think it was Bill Hayley singing Rock around the clock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgdufzXvjqw
FAB ! Daddy O - or should that be Mummy O

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top