Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 10:05 AM

Re: Some really good news

Originally Posted by gasman ->
It would certainly help if you can give us the make and model of your camera. If it has the capabilities, I would use shutter priority. You can choose the shutter speed that you want, for example 1/500th and the camera will adjust the other settings automatically.
Hi gasman

It's an Olympus PEN E-PL1

The lens used was an ED 14-42mm 1:3.5 -5.6 L (no idea what that means)

It does have shutter priorities but that particular shot was taken using the 'Pop Art' mode. ( I know, I know, I just liked the bright colours )
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
It would certainly help if you can give us the make and model of your camera. If it has the capabilities, I would use shutter priority. You can choose the shutter speed that you want, for example 1/500th and the camera will adjust the other settings automatically.
I'd shoot in Aperture priority with as wide an aperture as I can get (through experience) the depth of field I need for the subject. For a shot like this at close range that would probably be F/8 or F/11 as dof is very shallow at close range.

Think of it this way... if I set 1/500" in S mode and while I'm shooting the light changes - becomes brighter - the only benefit I get is a different aperture. This has no bearing on how sharp the shot will be. In A mode the aperture will stay where I need it - and the extra light will increase the shutter speed. This will improve the chances of a sharp shot.

For shots like this I also routinely use exposure compensation to underexpose the shot by a stop. I can brighten it later - and the slight underexposure in A mode doubles my shutter speed.

There are many ways - this is just mine - what I've found works for me.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 05:25 PM

Thanks Mr Oy.

I will have a fiddle around with it and let you know the result.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The problem I find with my video function is that the colours are totally lost. I tried videoing my garden but the flowers looked dull.
Try Adobe premier elements ( I have version14). that program allows one to get colours right in one frame and it adjusts the whole video
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

30-07-2017, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Try Adobe premier elements ( I have version14). that program allows one to get colours right in one frame and it adjusts the whole video
Thanks RS. I suppose I should invest in an editing programme.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 06:02 PM

I just done a quick short video of one of my big errors and a quick correction for you.

The first bit is the correction. Note only the difference but joined up as well I could have got it a lot better with more time. So by working on one frame only the whole video changes. You could do that with your garden video. Should have got the original made a bit longer, but it shows it can be done

So video editing is exactly the almost the same as stills editing
You just work on one frame as I have mentioned before
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mister_Oy ->
I'd shoot in Aperture priority with as wide an aperture as I can get (through experience) the depth of field I need for the subject. For a shot like this at close range that would probably be F/8 or F/11 as dof is very shallow at close range.

Think of it this way... if I set 1/500" in S mode and while I'm shooting the light changes - becomes brighter - the only benefit I get is a different aperture. This has no bearing on how sharp the shot will be. In A mode the aperture will stay where I need it - and the extra light will increase the shutter speed. This will improve the chances of a sharp shot.

For shots like this I also routinely use exposure compensation to underexpose the shot by a stop. I can brighten it later - and the slight underexposure in A mode doubles my shutter speed.

There are many ways - this is just mine - what I've found works for me.
Good shout Dave and that makes perfect sense - you learn something all of the time
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 12:06 AM

What photo editing software do you use? I have Lightroom 6 which I find good to use, especially converting RAW images to JPEG and colour to mono. Also, do you use the in built editing available on your Nikon?
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 12:12 AM

Howdy

I use Lightroom Classic CC to go from RAW to TIFF.

Then I do final edits, resize and sharpen in Photoshop CC.

I don't edit photos in camera other than converting to JPG if sending to my iPhone via the built in WiFi for work. Before I email them off or post on social media for work I sometimes crop and sharpen etc using Snapseed on my phone.
gasman
Kent, UK

31-12-2017, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mister_Oy ->
Howdy

I use Lightroom Classic CC to go from RAW to TIFF.

Then I do final edits, resize and sharpen in Photoshop CC.

I don't edit photos in camera other than converting to JPG if sending to my iPhone via the built in WiFi for work. Before I email them off or post on social media for work I sometimes crop and sharpen etc using Snapseed on my phone.
Why do you use TIFF? Is it a better format than JPEG ? Can you send your photos via wi-fi straight to your work? I must admit, I have never tried my inbuilt wi-fi on my D800 and never considered Snapseed. I'll have to look into that.
Just had a look https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pseed&hl=en_GB Pretty cool mate.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top