Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2012, 09:13 PM

Birds

We haven't seen any birds for weeks now, not even a sparrow. We have feeders all around the garden back and front which was always full of all kind of coloured birds. I know the weather hasn't been the best with the heavy downloads of rain. I really miss the singing and twittering from the trees more so in the mornings. Does anyone have an answer?
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

14-09-2012, 10:01 PM

Re: Birds

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
We haven't seen any birds for weeks now, not even a sparrow. We have feeders all around the garden back and front which was always full of all kind of coloured birds. I know the weather hasn't been the best with the heavy downloads of rain. I really miss the singing and twittering from the trees more so in the mornings. Does anyone have an answer?
Strange that one Pip, I was only thinking today that we were having a lot of visitors just of late.

They are mostly sparrows but amongst all the other types, a new robin dropped by yesterday for a chat and a jay was doing his best to crap on my blackberries. The feeders are all being used at a rate of knots so yes all seems well.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2012, 12:54 AM

I agree with Hammer, Pip. It is strange not to have seen any for weeks. I have no idea why this is.

We still have lots visiting the feeders. Maybe you have more than a few predators around.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2012, 02:02 AM

You can have these:

Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2012, 11:56 AM

I've heard of the Indian Myna bird, Bruce. They breed fast and displace native birds. The mites left in the roof nests when the babies fledge, migrate into the house. Ugh. Love the poster

I digress...I too was wondering if you have predators around Pip?
We can't seem to fill our feeders quick enough, even two woodpeckers are to be seen on a regular basis hanging from the nut feeder.
The only birds we haven't seen for weeks are blackbirds! But the apple tree only had two small apples this year and they normally forage around the fallen apples.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2012, 04:14 PM

Yes we are busy as well, mostly sparrows and an odd Blackbird and thrush, I think they are getting ready for the winter.Maybe there is something in the area they dont like, maybe a stray cat.
Dorcas
UK
Dorcas is female  Dorcas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2012, 06:53 PM

That is very strange, not to see the birds that would normally visit your garden.
I feed the birds in my garden have done for 30 odd years, I feed from September through to July where I start to taper off and put less out each time till I stop for the summer months.

We are having loads of different birds in right now including 2 Gold Crests and 2 Woodpeckers.
We get the usual ones daily Blue/Great/coal/ tits, Gold crests/ green finches/ Dunnocks/ Black Birds/ Collard Doves to name but a few.

I wonder if something is keeping them all away, like maybe cats new to the area.
I don't know but I do hope you soon have your garden visitors back.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2012, 07:28 PM

I hope the birds are back by now Pip
If I needed proof that my garden was too dry for blackbirds, the clay soil too hard to dig for worms, I got it today. We've had rain all day and one solitary blackbird came pecking at the grass, down the bottom of my garden which is the dampest part
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

23-09-2012, 08:50 PM

At present we have a sparrowhawk that has taken up residence in the garden. The magpies seem to be the only ones not frightened of it.

He sits on the edge of the garage roof or on top of the bird table surveying his new kingdom, just waiting for a meal to be served.

Instead of giving him something to get his beak into I suggested he might try any of the local hostelries that bear his name, he has plenty to choose from.

This tale is talon in the telling, suffice it to say he took to the air on a flight of fancy............. pigeon that is.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

23-09-2012, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
This tale is talon in the telling, suffice it to say he took to the air on a flight of fancy............. pigeon that is.

Lots of bravado from those magpies eh? 'Our' sparrowhawk hasn't been around for weeks, I'm pleased to say. As much as I get excited when I spy it, I hate seeing any of my little ones get caught

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top