Join for free
Page 128 of 370 « First < 28 78 118 126 127 128 129 130 138 178 228 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 09:06 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Ruthio, that must have felt so wonderful to be feeling healthy and getting back into the swing of your fitness routine. Soon enough, you'll be back in the pool and adept as a fish. Hopefully the rain will scoot right out of there putting you back into gear.

OGF, the same to you with your walking and cycling. I am relieved that you will be feeling fine (or well enough) for your vacation (holiday). One of my favorite things to do on a cruise is to be running (you behave yourself and walk ) on the treadmill front and center as the ship leaves the port, which provides a beautiful view and affords one a satisfying sense of speed.

I am appreciative the way they situate the dreadmills on the ships so as to maximize the views Walking the promenade deck is pure pleasure, OGF, and usually not very crowded, but I digress.

Two miles is quite a distance with the cycling; you aren't overdoing it are you?

Rhian, WOW, you are swimming swimmingly! While I am not an expert, a good friend is, and she swims two times per weeks swimming as fast as she can for her desired lengths, one day going for a leisurely but longer distance, and two days of intervals - sprints and slow laps. She suggests that speed breeds speed - sprints will yield a faster pace overall and good for cardiac conditioning, which is the same for running. Mixing it up, regardless of the sport, is also always good for muscle condtioning. Enough from me though, as more of a runner than a swimmer, I'll defer to the more dedicated swimmers here.

Gorgeous, gorgeous morning here with cloudless skies and all of the flowers in bloom. Wanting some sol, soul, solitude, with the added benefit of avoiding being acosted by sloppy pickup trucks, I chose the oak trails for a 5 mile run.

Spring robins are out in force as are the mockingbirds and woodpeckers, all preening and singing their way into fair-weather unions with nesting soon to follow. A lone armadillo barely noticing me as I jogged past, pushed away the pine needles in search of insects while an osprey flew by with its fishy catch. Beating my usual time, I had time to kill before picking my daughter up from the library, and decided to wash the sum of all of Florida's winter road grime off the car. I found myself in good company with another runner and a few cyclists, and we stopped to "gossip" about upgrades in the trails, concerns about the dearth of wildlife, the new swing additions, and rumours about trail extention, while "hanging out" in the vacuuming lot. We are nothing if not exciting lolol....
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 09:24 PM

Thank you both for that
So mixing it up is best

I hasten to add that the pool I swim in is not an Olympic length pool!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 09:25 PM

Sounds like you had a good run today Surfermom, and it's always good to meet some fellow runners and bikers out on the trail. Some good weather here today also after the rain yesterday and snow before that. I also took the opportunity to clear the salt and winter sludge off the motor. My daughter would be having a go if I went to pick her and her partner up on Thursday with a dirty car.....Retired Dad's are supposed to always have clean cars, what else would they find to do with all that spare time.......
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 09:27 PM

Great thread!
I read the first few pages of the thread. It was entertaining
It was amusing to me because my partner of almost 30 years claims work is exercise also. Obviously he doesn’t exercise but I do understand the debate.

Yes I exercise daily.

Here is my routine.

First thing in the morning :

Yoga - by ‘Kate Potter’ - Namaste

2 to 5 kilometre walks daily
Jog a couple of times a week - 2 to 7.5 km
Swimming in the summer - 24 feet x 100 to 200 lengths

Years ago I almost couldn’t walk. My right foot would twist and turn but we have dogs that ‘need’ walking so ‘not walking ‘ wasn’t an option. With better footwear I realized that not only could I walk but could lose weight and be in the best shape ever. Joints / bones work and feel so much better with regular exercise.
Plus it’s something that is always encouraged by health care practitioners and now I understand why.

I want to exercise everyday until I physically can’t do it any more and hopefully that will be years from now.

I’m really looking forward to getting my pool up so I can start swimming again.

My brother does marathons and makes me look like a couch potato and he’s 3 1/2 years older than me. He won first place in Canada in his age group.
He rides his bicycle up to visit me. It’s only 126 kilometres.

Ok I’m a tad jealous
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Thank you both for that
So mixing it up is best

I hasten to add that the pool I swim in is not an Olympic length pool!
Good whatever the size of pool Rhian...
It reminded me the last time we went on a cruise and went running around the deck....I set my GPS to record the distance I had run, and I was surprised to discover I'd travelled over thirty miles in an hour.....But the ship was travelling at 28 knotts.....Derrrrrrrrr...
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Another swim
I go straight after work so no distractions back at home!

I have a question actually..
When I first used to go (10 months ago) I'd manage 60 lengths and it took me about an hour 10 minutes on average. I got quicker
After about 3 months I upped it to a hundred lengths and that used to take me about an hour 10 to begin with too.
Since about 3 months I've been doing the 100 easily within an hour and on Saturday, and again today It took me 50 minutes to do the hundred.

Question: Is it better to stick to the 100 in 50 minutes and try to keep the speed up for a while (because it feels more cardio rather than just aerobic)?
Or should I stick to the hour and try to up it to 120 lengths (and maybe not attaining that every single time I go)

Is the speed or the length of time or the distance the most important thing???

Sorry that's 3 questions!
Thanks in advance for any advice
The funny thing about swimming is that swimming more will not improve your speed once you have reached a certain optimum for your strength.

If you increase from 100 lengths to 120 or 200 lengths you will not become a stronger swimmer but you will increase your stamina.

The only way to swim faster is to get physically stronger.
Bench presses, Chin-up exercises and back squats are best for swimmers.

As I mentioned on another thread I swim ( hopefully ) 3x a week . That s what I aim for, at least!

I'm no longer bothered about improving my 'performance'.... but when I was it was the improved overall body strength factor that made the biggest improvements to my speed.

In a nutshell.....the physically stronger you are out of the pool then the stronger you will be in the pool!!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

05-03-2018, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Great thread!
I read the first few pages of the thread. It was entertaining
It was amusing to me because my partner of almost 30 years claims work is exercise also. Obviously he doesn’t exercise but I do understand the debate.

Yes I exercise daily.

Here is my routine.

First thing in the morning :

Yoga - by ‘Kate Potter’ - Namaste

2 to 5 kilometre walks daily
Jog a couple of times a week - 2 to 7.5 km
Swimming in the summer - 24 feet x 100 to 200 lengths

Years ago I almost couldn’t walk. My right foot would twist and turn but we have dogs that ‘need’ walking so ‘not walking ‘ wasn’t an option. With better footwear I realized that not only could I walk but could lose weight and be in the best shape ever. Joints / bones work and feel so much better with regular exercise.
Plus it’s something that is always encouraged by health care practitioners and now I understand why.

I want to exercise everyday until I physically can’t do it any more and hopefully that will be years from now.

I’m really looking forward to getting my pool up so I can start swimming again.

My brother does marathons and makes me look like a couch potato and he’s 3 1/2 years older than me. He won first place in Canada in his age group.
He rides his bicycle up to visit me. It’s only 126 kilometres.

Ok I’m a tad jealous
Good work Bratti and welcome to the forum. You sound like the kind of person who doesn't let things get you down. Whatever your level of fitness you'll be very welcome here, hopefully we inspire each other to go that extra mile, and then come on here and write about it. Or exchange training tips, routines and anecdotes. On a forum of over fifties, there are also stories and memories of times gone by when we were all fitter and fearless, sometimes more stories of the past than present activities......
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 10:39 PM

Hi Bratti, welcome to this thread and thanks for your excellent post. I'm sure we will be very interested to follow your progress in the exercise stakes

Very nice to see Rhian here, and Moscow too. You are incredible swimmers. I don't know how people can swim that far and for that long. I get tired after four lengths and have to keep myself from sinking all the time. I just don't have the co-ordination. I echo OGF and Surfermom's words of wisdom about swimming too, some great posts in here all round actually.

Keep it up folks
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 10:43 PM

I'm on leave from work at the moment so when I opened my eyes I lay in bed playing on my phone exercising my brain playing a word game, I play a lot of word games as I like to keep my brain sharp but it keeps forgetting things lately!!! Anyhow my best friend and I went for a swim this evening but we only managed 30 minutes instead of our usual 1hr because she began to start feeling unwell. My dear friend has poor health due to numerous illnesses but she keeps going, she swims 3 to 4 times a week and walks a lot. I really admire how she keeps going. She has for the past year been suffering with severe anxiety and I think that is what happened tonight at the swimming pool, finally she has agreed to see a doctor after much nagging from me. She told me she doesn't know if she can deal with being told she has yet another illness and is scared. I think because she is so anxious about her health it is causing panic attacks, I hope to god thats what it is, time will tell. I'll be keeping her in my prayers. She suffers enough.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

05-03-2018, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
The funny thing about swimming is that swimming more will not improve your speed once you have reached a certain optimum for your strength.

If you increase from 100 lengths to 120 or 200 lengths you will not become a stronger swimmer but you will increase your stamina.

The only way to swim faster is to get physically stronger.
Bench presses, Chin-up exercises and back squats are best for swimmers.

As I mentioned on another thread I swim ( hopefully ) 3x a week . That s what I aim for, at least!

I'm no longer bothered about improving my 'performance'.... but when I was it was the improved overall body strength factor that made the biggest improvements to my speed.

In a nutshell.....the physically stronger you are out of the pool then the stronger you will be in the pool!!
Good post Moscow, it's about the same with running. Endurance running over long distances will greatly improve stamina but once an optimum pace is reached speed will not increase further without some kind of strength work. Intervals, Fartlek or resistance work is necessary to improve speed, and will need to be done regularly in order to maintain a fast pace.

My best performances are behind me now and I'm happy to still be out there treading the tracks and paths - the wilder the better - regardless of speed. At sixty seven I'm walking a tightrope between fitness and injury, trying to inject speed work these days only ends in tears. So like you Moscow, I will run for enjoyment and satisfaction and hope that I can persevere for a few more years yet....

Page 128 of 370 « First < 28 78 118 126 127 128 129 130 138 178 228 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top