Join for free
Page 10 of 13 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 07:21 AM

Re: Genealogy

A lot of my husband's family were Quakers tabby he was lucky to stumble across someone who was also researching the same line and they exchanged information the Quakers were helpful too.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
A lot of my husband's family were Quakers tabby he was lucky to stumble across someone who was also researching the same line and they exchanged information the Quakers were helpful too.
So are the Mormons.

They have spent years collecting/buying/copying Parish Registers, Public records etc., so they can trace their families and baptize them - posthumously - into Mormonism. While I do not agree with that - I do appreciate that they make all information available and are very helpful to those of us doing our own research.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 02:55 PM

Wow! I have just received the Genealogy equivalent of a lottery win!!

When one of my cousins died two years ago - I asked her son if I could have sight of any prayer books/bibles that might contain useful information. Had heard nothing from him so had almost given up on the idea - then - postie brings me a parcel with a couple of prayer books from which I gleaned some previously unknown family addresses - but - the main treasure - an envelope stuffed FULL of Mass Cards!!

To explain for non RC people - in Ireland when someone dies, friends/family/neighbours arrange for Masses to be said in their name and send Mass Cards to the bereaved. These are little, black edged cards with prayers and often a small photo of the deceased or picture of their favourite saint.

However the reason I am so excited about them is because they also give full names (correctly spelt), dates of death, where they have been buried - and their age when they died - sometimes they even give place of birth.

Given that a substantial amount of official Irish records were lost in 'the troubles' - making it next to impossible to trace some sections of my family - being given these is like being given gold dust!!

I am off to Ancestry for the afternoon!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 03:17 PM

Oh I envy you .. that's worth it's weight in gold.
The minute anyone has to trace back in Ireland they hit a brick wall.
I can imagine your excitement!

The closest 'lucky find' I had was one of my mum's cousins I unearthed on Ancestry .... to find she had an old family bible. The important part for me was it confirmed that my criminal G-G-grandfather had indeed changed his surname, which tied in with the family tale that he'd fled, when on the run from the police .... (he had one conviction, his wife, my G-g-Grandmother had 5).
They were said to have come from Ireland .. when it fact he'd fled from Birmingham ( with his young son) and he was probably a bigamist too. G-G-Granny was last spotted in jail in the 1881 census serving a 5 year stretch.

Tabby .... I bet your tree will grow now ... there's nothing quite like a lucky find for getting you all fired up.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 03:41 PM

Oh Tabby I am so happy for you.
It takes years I know.
My trees are very large.

Morti I love your post.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

08-10-2018, 07:45 PM

Even more surprises - some of those Mass cards open - and inside are some ancient and fragile newspaper cuttings! Just can't believe this treasure trove!!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Even more surprises - some of those Mass cards open - and inside are some ancient and fragile newspaper cuttings! Just can't believe this treasure trove!!
You will be able to scan them, and on post on your tree Tabby.
I did that with my finds.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 07:51 PM

I bet you've been busy all afternoon ...

You'll be making one of your wonderful artistic creations out of them next... like that lovely birthday card you recently did.

A Book of the Ancestors of Silver Tabby
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

08-10-2018, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
You will be able to scan them, and on post on your tree Tabby.
I did that with my finds.
I compiled a little book about mine ... did it in Word, ran it through an online converter into Mobi format and have it on my Kindle now.
It's a bit crappy and lacks polish ... I might get around to trying my hand at a decent one ....one day.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

08-10-2018, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I bet you've been busy all afternoon ...

You'll be making one of your wonderful artistic creations out of them next... like that lovely birthday card you recently did.

A Book of the Ancestors of Silver Tabby
Now there is an idea!

Page 10 of 13 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top