Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 03:20 PM

Spending the kids inheritence? Too right we are!

With abject apologies to those who cannot afford to do the same, also to Millennials, who will no doubt be choking at my words, but....

Well, that's us sorted. HWMO is now retired. We have put our house in order with the full blessing of the Gorillas. They are chuffed for us, which makes me feel great because I couldn't help feeling guilty about spending their inheritance, but instead, now fully intent on spending it enjoying our twilight years, travelling around the beautiful UK, having barbecue lunches, copious glasses of wine, (not HWMO, of course, can't have him drink driving over the limit and putting all our plans in jeopardy). Gulp!*

HWMO has cashed in one of his two Pension Pots*and we are bloody well going to enjoy ourselves in the time we have left. We have made out our Wills, We have informed our Gorillas that the only thing we will be leaving them will be the house, plus any cash or belongings, which they can share the proceeds between them. We have bought two Funeral Plans, made sure our Life insurance is paid up in advance, sold our lovely caravan in Towyn, North Wales, put money aside for each of our 13 grandchildren and now in the process of looking for a Campervan with a trailer for lots of holidays in good old Blighty. (Docs say no more flying and don't want to leave my little dogs for us to go cruising).

Are we being selfish? yes, do we care? nope! We feel no guilt anymore, no feelings of responsibility that we have always felt. Both of us have worked hard for over 52 years, looked after both sets of our beloved parents to the end, brought up over half a football team and been unpaid babysitters to over a dozen grandkids. We believe we have played our part and now it's our time to be together and enjoy a carefree lifestyle at last. We are really looking forward to it. So, now it's once again, after all these years, Time to PPP AAA RRR TTT YYY!

How about you?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 03:31 PM

Re: Spending the kids inheritence? Too right we are!

We inherited a bit a couple of years ago, bought our caravan, car and redecorated our flat. Rest has been put by for Gracie or if we can't look after her for the boys if they take her on.

We really enjoy the caravan and will keep it on all the time we can both work. If we have to stop working it might have to go then what we got back would go towards Gracie's pot too.

I think what you are doing is great if we didn't have the responsibility of Grace we might have done similar.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

We have informed our Gorillas that the only thing we will be leaving them will be the house, plus any cash or belongings, which they can share the proceeds between them.

It seems to me that all you're doing is spending your pension pots and savings as any retired couple who want to have adventures and enjoy life would do.

If you're leaving them the house/content & cash in hand, I don't see how you're spending their inheritance .

If Tony & I get hard up we will take equity out on our house. That would really be spending the kids inheritance because when we died the equity company would own the house..

You're very lucky to be in the position you're in.
Enjoy.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 03:34 PM

Good for you Shropshire girl. I wish my OH and I were as organised. I hope you and HWMBO have many years of pleasure ahead.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 03:39 PM

Thanks Julie. Must admit it was a wrench parting with our lovely caravan overlooking the sea. It was sad locking it for the very last time as a lot of lovely memories are in there. But... it was too big for just us two and two little dogs. I hope it brings the buyers as much happiness as it brought us.
The Gorillas are going to help us choose the campervan and trailer, and one of my nephews is a car mechanic so he will look it over thoroughly before we buy. Can't wait to go travelling, pill box and all.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 03:43 PM

Sounds like you planned well!

I hope you enjoy every penny of it doing what you like.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 03:47 PM

I don't blame you in the slightest and I would do the same in a heartbeat if I was in the same boat

I have no intention of working myself into a grave to leave the kids anything. its the house only thats being left. Even then it won't be this one, will be a small apartment or bungalow, if its not be sold for care home costs
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

21-02-2018, 04:02 PM

Thanks for your kind words Carol, Aerolor, Ffosse and Missy. I know we are so fortunate to be in this position to be able to enjoy our retirement. I started work straight from school at 15, as did HWMO, and worked full time for over 52 years whilst spending every spare minute caring for our parents, bringing up our family and at times, really struggling to manage with available cash, but we did it. We always said that if we made it this far, this was our plan. The Gorillas are all settled thank goodness. They are really pleased that we are not hoarding everything for them after we have gone, instead of enjoying ourselves whilst we can and as we deserve. (their words). So yes, all the sacrifices we made in the past now seem worth it.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 04:09 PM

My husband and I are making sure we help out our kids whilst we still can, we can't take it with us, and it is now that the dosh is needed.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 04:29 PM

Shroppie, you enjoy yourselves and yes, make the most of it! Why feel guilty, for goodness sake? It’s your money. You didn’t work just to then leave it to the kids.

Spend, and have fun.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top