Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 08:09 AM

Wind Farms.

Hi

We are now generating more and more of our electricity this way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43576226

OffShore wind is now cheaper than Nuclear,with none of the problems of disposing of the waste.

I am all in favour of it, it reduces our reliance on others.

What do you think?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 08:17 AM

Re: Wind Farms.

Surrounded by turbines here

When they first started appearing they were ok, rather majestic in a way. Now however they are popping up everywhere as seeing as I live in an area of natural outstanding beauty, they are becoming an eyesore

The wind farms are ok as they are up in the glens, its the ones the farmers build that are becoming a problem. They are noisy and an eyesore

But they are a necessity
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 08:23 AM

Low output efficiencies, bird killers and noise generators. Don't believe anything the BBC puts out.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Surrounded by turbines here

When they first started appearing they were ok, rather majestic in a way. Now however they are popping up everywhere as seeing as I live in an area of natural outstanding beauty, they are becoming an eyesore

The wind farms are ok as they are up in the glens, its the ones the farmers build that are becoming a problem. They are noisy and an eyesore

But they are a necessity
Hi

Yes, they can be an eyesore and siting is an issue.

There are loads around Runcorn, next to the big chemical plants, so no problem there.

The micro generation ones, such as farmers use, are very noisy as you say, they need much stricter control.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Yes, they can be an eyesore and siting is an issue.

There are loads around Runcorn, next to the big chemical plants, so no problem there.

The micro generation ones, such as farmers use, are very noisy as you say, they need much stricter control.
They are pretty strict on the farmers. Within a certain radius of the Causeway Coast road they aren't allowed them

However it was turbines or open cast mining for lignite, the turbines are the lesser of the 2 evils
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 09:05 AM

I think windfarms are good idea but have concerns about choice of location and the fact they are hazardous to birds.
I would like to see more and larger offshore wind farms and some kind of solution found to the bird problem.

As battery technology improves with the capacity to store surplus 'alternatively' produced energy including wind and solar they have the potential to play an even bigger part in contribute to our energy needs.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

03-04-2018, 09:13 AM

Hi

A link to bird kill from windfarms.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/bird-dea...t-the-evidence

The RSPB do not object to many, only 6%.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 10:41 AM

Bird strike is indeed a problem especially at sea as birds can move in thousands if conditions are good and that is when visibilty can be low. A two year study up here did indeed find plenty of casualty`s Swans, Geese, Auks etc and several birds of prey.

In their favour species like Eider have adopted their bases as feeding grounds but as a trade off i would rather see wave or photovoltaic energy being pursued
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 12:46 PM

Brighton has its own off-shore wind farm:

http://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2...-this-morning/
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 12:53 PM

where i live we have a great deal because its mainly farms and growing fields ---they are really ugly on the landscape have to say -even worse looking out to sea with them 'what worries me is -- how many is enough -yes its good to have our own leccky from turbines -but surely there is a limit to this

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top