Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 04:42 PM

Hoverflies.

Handy little guide to these garden predators.

Did you know - hoverflies are important pollinators and there are over 280 species in the UK. Here are a few of them.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 04:54 PM

Re: Hoverflies.

thanks Nom.

There seems to be a lot of them around at the moment. Went for a walk today and was plagued by the things.

I think my 'Bee' in the photo comp was probably a hoverfly.

Great chart.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
thanks Nom.

There seems to be a lot of them around at the moment. Went for a walk today and was plagued by the things.

I think my 'Bee' in the photo comp was probably a hoverfly.

Great chart.
You could well be correct, i cant find that back patten on our Bumblebees.

Your Dragonfly , is a Female Large red Damselfly, both excellent photos.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
You could well be correct, i cant find that back patten on our Bumblebees.

Your Dragonfly , is a Female Large red Damselfly, both excellent photos.
Yes, I realised that too after I had posted but left it too long to edit.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 06:06 PM

There are lots in my garden & they seem to like people too, one followed me around.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 06:47 PM

I think most of those can be found in my kitchen right now
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 08:56 AM

There are quite a few in my back garden that annoy my JR they hover just above her head and I watch her snatching at them most of the day when she is out there laying in the sun.
Sometimes she just gives up and comes in drops in her bed and covers herself up with blankets.
I think its to get away from them.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 09:11 AM

Such a pity that they are not in a language I can read. I didn’t do Latin in school and I suspect a lot of people are in the same boat, Latin is a dead language, but by the by, interesting chart, I didn’t know there were so many, thanks
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

17-06-2018, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Such a pity that they are not in a language I can read. I didn’t do Latin in school and I suspect a lot of people are in the same boat, Latin is a dead language, but by the by, interesting chart, I didn’t know there were so many, thanks
Neither did I tbh.

I remember camping with my parents in Cornwall when I was little and having lots of these around. We all thought they were wasps so we moved our tent to another part of the site, only to be told by a fellow camper that 'They be 'ovver flies, they do be'.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 03:02 PM

There are not nearly so many hoverflies around as there used to be . On sunny summer days as a child I used to love laying in the long grass watching them

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top