Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 09:35 PM

Paddling Pool for Frogs

Anyone got any ideas ? I don't want a pond, just a little paddling pool for the frogs .

Would a buried washing up bowl be ok, or would it be too deep for them ? Also would the water go nasty if it didn't have any plant life to oxygenate it ?

Just hoping someone might have a better idea.. thanks.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 09:43 PM

Re: Paddling Pool for Frogs

I've got an old bin lid sunk in the ground.

Sounds tight-arse and unsuitable I know as it's only a couple of inches deep but I've got one for the birds to drink out of and in summer, nearly every summer, a little frog or two will take up residence and hide around the little cobbles and overhanging plants.
It tends to evaporate quick so I regularly top it up from my water butt or a watering can of tap water I've left to stand for a day to allow the chlorine to evaporate off.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 09:58 PM

Excellent idea, Morti ! I do have an old bin lid and that would be a better option.. thank you.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 10:10 PM

Have you got two?

I sunk two in, with a little gap between them then placed a flat stone over them to create a little bridge, offering a little muddy shady hidey hole underneath for them. Stuck a Buddha on the bridge which the birds now all land on and muck on his head (oh well).
I put one or two rocks in the lids with one or two cobbles so little visitors can hop or climb out and go into the surrounding plants.
Cobbles make good edging and so does a great ground cover plant called Rose of Sharon (Hypericum). The low grower one. It has yellow flowers in June/July and dies right back in winter but spreads well via little runners.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 10:21 PM

Ahh!! - she HAS got a heart of gold!! the forest princess of frogs!!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

07-06-2018, 10:23 PM

Well there's a duck and a pig here .. so kiss both of us and see what you turn in to.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

07-06-2018, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Well there's a duck and a pig here .. so kiss both of us and see what you turn in to.
Hahahahaha !

To answer your post, yes I have another that is cracked so won't manage to hold any water, but it could be a sort of 'den' for them. Moist underneath and cooler if covered by trees or shaded somehow.

Excellent.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

07-06-2018, 10:35 PM

That's it! Let your imagination fly free ... it's great fun.

I only discovered mine one year when during a hot summer I was topping up the little pond for the birds and a frog paddled about and made me jump.

A bin lid seems the right depth for blackbirds to have a shallow bath in too .. and smaller birds to drink from if they can sit around the edge or hop from rock to cobble.

You might find you cracked lid will be more popular than you think. One of mine leaks so collects a bit of mud and I've seen birds grabbing beaks of it when they're nest building.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 10:36 PM

What about an old baby bath sunk into the ground
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

07-06-2018, 10:39 PM

I'm no expert but I bet that'd do too.

Anything with a few cobbles or rocks for steps to get out if it's a little on the deep side.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top