Join for free
Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 05:54 PM

Re: Heartless Government

Originally Posted by Meg ->
The problem is distinguishing the genuine needy from the feckless and I am sure there are plenty of both about.
Governments of all persuasions seem to have been unable to sort out that problem.

In the days when benefits were paid at the post office I used to see a scruffy young woman with her toddler in a pushchair. On collecting her benefits the first thing she did was to buy a number of lottery scratch cards.
I used to think then that the child could do with a wash and a good meal.

When you are very poor life is about choices, some people are not very good at making the right ones.
I agree, Meg, I've also seen this..
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
The problem is distinguishing the genuine needy from the feckless and I am sure there are plenty of both about.
Governments of all persuasions seem to have been unable to sort out that problem.

In the days when benefits were paid at the post office I used to see a scruffy young woman with her toddler in a pushchair. On collecting her benefits the first thing she did was to buy a number of lottery scratch cards.
I used to think then that the child could do with a wash and a good meal.

When you are very poor life is about choices, some people are not very good at making the right ones.
And this is what I feel is so very very wrong about the Lottery, which is essentially yet another way for governments to get the poor to fund stuff that should be funded by taxing the rich. I feel only pity for people trapped in poverty and tricked by TV adverts and programmes into believing that they stand more than the very slenderest of chances of bettering their lot by winning a fortune.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Roseredlee ->
And this is what I feel is so very very wrong about the Lottery, which is essentially yet another way for governments to get the poor to fund stuff that should be funded by taxing the rich. I feel only pity for people trapped in poverty and tricked by TV adverts and programmes into believing that they stand more than the very slenderest of chances of bettering their lot by winning a fortune.
Ah - now that brought a tear to me eye - the simple facts of it
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 07:55 PM

There is a section of society who will always be poor regardless of how much money you dole out to them. Yes there are genuine hard luck stories as there will be under any system and under any government, but you cannot continue to write blank cheques on welfare because there will never ever be enough to go round.

As an example, in the current furore over food banks it is often the simplistic view that people are starving that brings the biggest howls from the left and which makes the biggest headlines in left wing rags such as the Guardian, and it is almost seen as a heresy to mention that the fecklessness of some of the food bank customers, who continue to smoke, drink, gamble and pay their Sky subscriptions and smartphone bills then complain they have nothing left for food.

As Meg says, some people make very poor choices, but they always will if someone will always bail them out.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
There is a section of society who will always be poor regardless of how much money you dole out to them. Yes there are genuine hard luck stories as there will be under any system and under any government, but you cannot continue to write blank cheques on welfare because there will never ever be enough to go round.

As an example, in the current furore over food banks it is often the simplistic view that people are starving that brings the biggest howls from the left and which makes the biggest headlines in left wing rags such as the Guardian, and it is almost seen as a heresy to mention that the fecklessness of some of the food bank customers, who continue to smoke, drink, gamble and pay their Sky subscriptions and smartphone bills then complain they have nothing left for food.

As Meg says, some people make very poor choices, but they always will if someone will always bail them out.
None of the above justifies the horror stories I have been reading for a while now. The extent of the 'witch hunt' that this government is carrying out has gone way overboard with the most needy, defenseless, genuine people paid no special attention, and they are being persecuted along with all the rest - just to cook the bloody books and save money. People are dieing owing to these actions. I for one think no-one should starve to death, or to be pressurized into committing suicide from a lack of money or from a lack of self worth.

You are a downright Tory through and through with your head full of the nonsense fed to you by the Tory spin doctors and Tory propaganda. Your daft opinions are very damaging, I would even go to say dangerous. This is no way to run a country and if you felt any sort of empathy for the weak and wounded of this country you wouldn't come out with such utter bullshit.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 08:19 PM

Hang on a minute! how many are just too lazy to work? they get dole money and spend it on drugs then plead poverty.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Hang on a minute! how many are just too lazy to work? they get dole money and spend it on drugs then plead poverty.
Yeah ... right .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 08:26 PM

MJk

You appear to have very strong misguided views but that is your choice. No need to slag other off if they have an entirely
different view point.

And before you reply I was one of those hard working people with no money when i got engaged to be married,
but I got off my backside and did something about it. So if I can do it so can others if they tried

Try for example doing a 16 hour day 7 days a week having 3 jobs for 18 months to save to get married and finished up only weighing 6 stone. That is what i did and was, nearly killed me and Dr said I had to ease off or i would not be here now
Graft, today people don't know what the word means
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

11-12-2014, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
No need to slag other off if they have an entirely different view point.
I'll slag anyone I want off. Not for the likes of you to say so either, it is the mods or Azz.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

11-12-2014, 08:43 PM

oh dear still never mind.As a gentleman I won't say what I think , but I am sure others will be, shall we say, be supprised at your posting

Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top